• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    Just looking for some impartial opinions on a stupid situation my wife found herself in. My wife is a Girl scout troop leader and they just had their cookie sales that finished up in feb. My wife was in charge of handling the entire troops cookie sales over 20 girls and all that en tales collecting all the money from parents, depositing all money in the troop account, picking up sorting and distributing all the orders to the parents, etc.. A big project for a mom with 3 kids at home all under 8 years old. Our house looked like a distribution center for a week.

Anyway: Well during the process my wife misplaced one of the girls selling envelopes which had the payment checks in it 3 checks total. One of the checks was from the selling families friends business for aprox. $500 dollars. My wife tore the house apart looking for them. After a day or 2 she comes to the conclusion she may have threw them in the garbage by accident. She feels terrible and embarrassed she made such a dumb mistake. So she calls the mom of the selling family and explains the situation apologizes left and right and asks if she could please ask the people for new checks. Right away the Mom is less than cooperative and tells my wife no way the business will write her a new check. They discuss it further and the Mom says she will ask the business. A day or 2 later the Mom tells my wife the business said they have to wait one year before issuing a new check to make sure the first one does not get cashed. Their position is understandable so my wife tells her why don't they stop payment on the first check and even offers to pay the bank fee for the stop payment. The mom agrees to this and says she will talk to the business.

So now 2 months has gone by and no check. The Mom has retreated on her initial statement and tells my wife this has caused so many problems between her family and the business and it is a ridiculous situation, and as far as the business is concerned they paid and not their problem, blah blah blah (I told my wife to tell this Mom try that with the electric company and see how long they have power on). So my wife asks her for the business name and phone number so she can talk directly with them and explain it was her error and not the Mom's and apologize to them. The mom refuses! My wife keeps pushing everyday to come to a resolution on the matter and nothing. The Mom continually refuses to give any info.

So here is the little tidbit that perked my radar. The Mom finally gives my wife replacements for the other 2 checks my wife lost. Personal checks for like $20 each. Here is the interesting part. They are both dated for Jan. 12. So my wife now starts thinking maybe she accidentally gave the mom back the checks and did not throw them away.

So my questions to you folks is:
    If you were to write someone a replacement check what date would you put on it. The date you wrote the new one or the date from 3 months ago when you wrote the first lost check?
    Also what do you think of this moms position? The way I look at it is not so much legally but morally. A person made mistake and making every effort to correct the mistake and the other party refuses to meet them halfway. I mean this is not some big fortune 500 company it is girl scouts with volunteers running things. Anyway curios your thoughts. sorry for the long read!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So my questions to you folks is:
    If you were to write someone a replacement check what date would you put on it. The date you wrote the new one or the date from 3 months ago when you wrote the first lost check?
    Also what do you think of this moms position? The way I look at it is not so much legally but morally. A person made mistake and making every effort to correct the mistake and the other party refuses to meet them halfway. I mean this is not some big fortune 500 company it is girl scouts with volunteers running things. Anyway curios your thoughts. sorry for the long read!

If I were replacing a check that was presented on time and lost by the recipient, I'd likely look back in my ledger and date it the same as the original.

IMO, based only on what you've posted, your wife knows she screwed up. And while she may well feel terrible about it, she's now grasping at straws trying to alleviate herself of at least some of the blame.

Was the product delivered to the company that paid the $500?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Unless the check needed to how an earlier date, the current date would be the one I would use. But I can also see someone using the same date the initial check was written for their own mental accounting.

Two things come to mind: the importance of receipts and the negligent party should be the one to make it right. Your wife was responsible for the monies. On the other hand, if the people who paid for the cookies didn't get receipts for it, they have no proof that they paid or that your wife took possession of the checks. (I had to pay for my first month's rent at my first apartment twice because they lost the check. Didn't matter that I couldn't have moved in without paying it. I didn't have a receipt, and so I had to pay it again. I issued a stop payment for the first check just in case so it wasn't a monetary lost. But it could have been a monetary "gain" had I had the receipt.

I think the other Mom is trying to avoid having to pay the fee at all. Perhaps your wife could find and print the article about the guy that owes several hundred dollars for not paying his cookie fee.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    If I were replacing a check that was presented on time and lost by the recipient, I'd likely look back in my ledger and date it the same as the original.

IMO, based only on what you've posted, your wife knows she screwed up. And while she may well feel terrible about it, she's now grasping at straws trying to alleviate herself of at least some of the blame.

Was the product delivered to the company that paid the $500?

Yes the product was delivered.

Nobody is accusing or grasping at straws just seams strange. Actually I would not write the check for the original date. I would put the current date on it. that's why I specifically asked what other folks would do.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    I think the other Mom is trying to avoid having to pay the fee at all. Perhaps your wife could find and print the article about the guy that owes several hundred dollars for not paying his cookie fee.
    My wife has already given them $35 to cover the stop payment fee. This business would be out nothing other than the time, paper and ink to cut a new check.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If it was a business check I would date it for the date of the original. A business needs to be able to tie back to any irregularities in their books. Dating it back to the date the original transaction occurred eliminates a question later if the books get audited.

A personal check, not necessarily - but there would at least be a note on the memo line.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Here's how I see it.

The troop is out $500.00, or at least the profits on that sale.

Your wife has been more than reasonable. If the company accepted her $35 stop payment reimbursement, then they ought to write the friggin check.

If your wife ever volunteers to be the cookie queen again, she needs to be sent to a mental institution.

I'd probably tell the girl scouts "I ain't sellin no more effin cookies, ever."

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Oh and backdating a check says "I'm trying to hide something." A business won't lie about their expenses. Write it for today, and note in the ledger WHY and WHAT it is for.

Stick to the truth and you'll never lose any sleep.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    . (I had to pay for my first month's rent at my first apartment twice because they lost the check. Didn't matter that I couldn't have moved in without paying it. I didn't have a receipt, and so I had to pay it again. I issued a stop payment for the first check just in case so it wasn't a monetary lost. But it could have been a monetary "gain" had I had the receipt.
    I guess that is where we differ. Maybe I am old fashioned and if I owed someone a debt I wold not be looking for some technicality to get out of what I owe them. people make mistakes and I wold not be looking to profit off someones mistake. So when a cashier gives you too much change back and you know it you just shove it in your pocket and walk way?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So right now the customer has $500 worth of cookies, will not have a checking withdrawal, and was actually paid $35.

Correct?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, this is quite the conundrum for your wife. A receipt should have been given to the girl scout who turned in the money initially, thereby taking her out of the loop of responsibility. I would also mention that GSCI frowns greatly on taking checks over $150. $500 checks would certainly be a no no, without approval from higher up the chain. While I agree that it would be nice for the business to replace the check, (since they have the cookies, I assume), they are under no obligation to do so. At the end of the day cookie mom is responsible for the loss, as much as that sucks, if she took the money from the scout, provided her with her cookie receipt and lost it. One of the main points of GS cookie sales is teaching the girls how to responsibly run a business and handle money. I feel for your wife, OP and do hope the business comes through to help make things right.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Well, this is quite the conundrum for your wife. A receipt should have been given to the girl scout who turned in the money initially, thereby taking her out of the loop of responsibility. I would also mention that GSCI frowns greatly on taking checks over $150. $500 checks would certainly be a no no, without approval from higher up the chain. While I agree that it would be nice for the business to replace the check, (since they have the cookies, I assume), they are under no obligation to do so. At the end of the day cookie mom is responsible for the loss, as much as that sucks, if she took the money from the scout, provided her with her cookie receipt and lost it. One of the main points of GS cookie sales is teaching the girls how to responsibly run a business and handle money. I feel for your wife, OP and do hope the business comes through to help make things right.

The cookie mom isn't responsible, and you'll be looking forever trying to find a way to hang her with it. The business that got the cookies and the $35 stop payment fee owes the money, and they are deadbeat dirtbags for not paying. I'd make good and sure that everyone knows how Company A screwed the poor little girl scouts out of $500.

If the check hasn't cleared, they need to stop payment and issue a new one, AS AGREED....otherwise they suck and need to be run out of town.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    While I agree that it would be nice for the business to replace the check, (since they have the cookies, I assume), they are under no obligation to do so. .
    See I am not sure I agree with this since the simple act of writing a check does not settle the debt. The transfer of funds does. So if they wrote a check and it bounced are they under no obligation to pay since they wrote the check? Kinda splitting hairs here. I guess I just don't understanding someone being a prick about it since they are not out anything if they just write the new check. As it stands now they got $500 of free cookies plus $35.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    MAC...who is the dirtbag company? Maybe a few phone calls are in order.

I hate scum that try to screw over kids.
    Wish we knew!!! the Mom of the family that sold to this company refuses to supply the info. only the three letter acronym for the company which a google search shows like 50 companies with that name. I do not feel comfortable publishing the acronym we know right now. Still hoping it get resolved. My wife now has turned this over to the Girl Scout council to handle. The troop will not be out the money, my wife does not have to pay, but the troop does loose the profits from that sale.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    See I am not sure I agree with this since the simple act of writing a check does not settle the debt. The transfer of funds does. So if they wrote a check and it bounced are they under no obligation to pay since they wrote the check? Kinda splitting hairs here. I guess I just don't understanding someone being a prick about it since they are not out anything if they just write the new check. As it stands now they got $500 of free cookies plus $35.

I agree that the business owner should write a new check but look at it from the business owner's standpoint. They wrote a check for $500 (they won't get nearly that much back on the tax write off... heading that one off now) for something they absolutely didn't need to. They were charitable. For whatever reason, they now have to stop payment on the first check and write a new one which is probably more of a hassle than the initial $500 loss to their bottom line.

As was suggested upthread, the OP's wife would be nuts to be in charge of cookie sales again, I'm guessing this business owner won't be cutting a $500 check again next year. Being charitable shouldn't be a hassle.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Buying cookies is a tax deduction??? You get a product in exchange for a fee. If that's tax deductible I have been overpaying by quite a bit.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    They made a choice to spend $500. They need to settle the debt. Sounds like fishy fishy to me. Mom #2 was going to cash those checks. The company would be none the wiser.

Top Bottom