• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was under the impression that the rise in heroin came about in part due to people becoming addicted to prescription painkillers and then having to turn to the original source drug when their avenues to presription versions were constrained

The rise in heroin was predominately because it got so freaking cheap. You could get a lot more high for your $$$.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    So given a choice of going to a legal shop and paying heavy taxes to the State (the one who used to throw pot smokers in jail) or buying from some guy you work with..........let me think about that for a moment. HHHmmmmmmm. Help me out here kids.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    There would be a decrease due to the fact that you can get it legally i.e. just a storefront. However, from a illegal dealer there are not any taxes being charged and some money can be saved that war so there would still be some illegal dealing. This was reported in Colorado at least.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When pot becomes legal, do prices increase or decrease?

My theory is that prices will mostly stay the same - because current black market dealers will win all the business if legalized outlets charge too much. And legalized outlets are going to charge as much as they can, so they wont attempt to under cut the black market dealers by too much.

Thoughts?

It depends on what the law is.

If people are free to grown their own for their own use, the prices will likely go down.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    So given a choice of going to a legal shop and paying heavy taxes to the State (the one who used to throw pot smokers in jail) or buying from some guy you work with..........let me think about that for a moment. HHHmmmmmmm. Help me out here kids.

You would rather line your coworkers pockets than have the taxes go to funding programs, road repairs, etc?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You would rather line your coworkers pockets than have the taxes go to funding programs, road repairs, etc?

Prices are elastic, and the product is largely fungible. If the .gov gets too greedy and drives the net price to the customer high enough that the quality and convenience don't offset the cost in taxes, they'll drive the customers to less formal suppliers. In other words, most of the customers look at price alone, maybe convenience, don't really care what the taxes are used for, and just want to get high.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I have family and friends who live in Colorado and sounds like blackarket price has come down a little but not much. Shop prices are 30-50% more so still a large black market. Quality is up because all of the excess that doesn't make retail hits black market.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I have family and friends who live in Colorado and sounds like blackarket price has come down a little but not much. Shop prices are 30-50% more so still a large black market. Quality is up because all of the excess that doesn't make retail hits black market.

It's funny how prices range across the country. Dispensaries in CO are more expensive than street prices? Well, CO dispensaries are a fair amount cheaper that midwest street prices.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    When pot becomes legal, do prices increase or decrease? Thoughts?

I think it depends on the strain .

You take a strain like " Charlotte's Web " which has low concentrations of THC , but has high concentrations of HBD and has been shown to help with various illnesses and I'm betting "big pharma " like Lilly's will pull some BS and try to get it patented just so they can make all the money on it .

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I make trips to Oregon and its legal there too, the barter market is huge. It is all over craigslist , just type in 420 and see what you get. Buy the bag and get herbs for free. They're figuring ways out to get around the taxes.
    Out there the issues are starting to creep up but that is the pacific northwest where the hippies all went to burnout and retire.
    My daughter lived right next to a dispensary and wow it was busy. On a another note Ohio just voted down legalizing it..

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Top Bottom