• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    How to you try a case concerning jury tampering with regards to nullification without informing the jury about nullification?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/nyregion/26jury.html

FIJA has caused a few rifts in legal land recently. A judge in Florida legislated from the bench and shut down all pamphleteering in a 4 block radius of HIS courthouse - the public "complex".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh1j4ncOwqI"]YouTube - FIJA Florida Judge Is Violating The First Amendment[/ame]

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I read about FIJA's run in with this tool back a few weeks ago. Hopefully, it'll get tossed out (and the judge, too) once it reaches a courtroom. Not really thinking it'll happen, tho. These people back each other up, no matter how wrong they are.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Google Laura Kriho. This happened out here in Colorado. She was prosecuted and convicted after hanging a jury in a drug case. They found that she should have volunteered that she had been convicted of a marijuana crime, even though she was never asked the question before being seated on the jury.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Indiana Constitution applies to Florida? Hokey smokes, usually it is Texas law applying here.

For this special occassion I hereby declare that everytime the Indiana Constitution applies to other states rhino owes me a firearm of my choosing.

This time I choose a Smith & Wesson M10, 4".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How to you try a case concerning jury tampering with regards to nullification without informing the jury about nullification?

You do it where the guy doesn't have a right to a jury trial? Quite a few years ago I read a story about a case in IN like this. The prosecutor dropped the charges because the lady wanted a jury trial and he couldn't figure out how to prosecute without informing the jury.:): She was sticking fliers on car windshields about jury nullification at the local courthouse on jury selection day. He couldn't figure out how to prosecute without showing the fliers to the jury. :D

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Indiana Constitution applies to Florida? Hokey smokes, usually it is Texas law applying here.

For this special occassion I hereby declare that everytime the Indiana Constitution applies to other states rhino owes me a firearm of my choosing.

This time I choose a Smith & Wesson M10, 4".

Please show me and the candid world where in my post that I stated or inferred that the Indiana Constitution would or should apply to the State of Florida ?
    Thanks
    Duncan

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Google Laura Kriho. This happened out here in Colorado. She was prosecuted and convicted after hanging a jury in a drug case. They found that she should have volunteered that she had been convicted of a marijuana crime, even though she was never asked the question before being seated on the jury.
    Doesn't one of the standard questions of the jury form ask about previous convictions of any crime other than traffic violations? Been awhile since I filled one out, but I think it does. Might it be that she omitted the answer on the form even though she wasn't asked directly? Just curious. Not saying right or wrong. Just trying to understand the ruling. Do you have a news link?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Doesn't one of the standard questions of the jury form ask about previous convictions of any crime other than traffic violations? Been awhile since I filled one out, but I think it does. Might it be that she omitted the answer on the form even though she wasn't asked directly? Just curious. Not saying right or wrong. Just trying to understand the ruling. Do you have a news link?

You can google her name and get lots of links. No, the case specifically hinged on the fact that she was not asked these things. The judge held that she should have volunteered the information, but that was a smokescreen for their desire to punish her for the failure to convict someone who was clearly guilty of the crime.

Personally, I think questions as to your beliefs are unconstitutional, because their intent and their practice is to remove people from the pool who might also judge the law as well as the facts.

I see no moral peril in lying about personal beliefs during jury selection. You have no obligation to tell the truth to a theif as to the location of your jewells.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Do not think. Do not understand your rights, privileges, and responsibilities. Do not learn the law. Do as your are told. Think as you are told. Vote as you are told.

Top Bottom