• ...and so much more!
  • Ravstafarian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Lafayette
    Hello all,

I have a question I was hoping to get some help with, I've searched through the forum and didn't see it answered previously.

I am an out-of-state grad student from Florida and am interested in purchasing a hand gun, however am not sure of the legal issues associated with this. I know the easy answer would be to get a gun from FL but they have a 3 day wait, and as I only fly back maybe once a year for very short periods of time during holidays I run into some logistical issues so, if possible, I would rather buy locally.

The ATF rulings (shown below) are clear that I am allowed to purchase a gun using my FL drivers license and a government issued document with my Indiana address on it, such as vehicle registration. However I am unsure what the state law says as it isn't worded as clearly:

ATF Rul. 2001-5 (supersedes ATF Rul. 79-7):

"It is ATF's position
    that a combination of documents may be used to satisfy the Brady Act's requirement
    for an identification document. The prospective transferee must present at least
    one valid document that meets the statutory definition of an identification
    document; i.e., it must bear the transferee's name and photograph, it must have
    been issued by a governmental entity, and it must be of a type intended or commonly
    accepted for identification purposes. ATF recognizes, however, that some valid
    government-issued identification documents do not include the bearer's current
    residence address. Such an identification document may be supplemented with
    another valid government-issued document that contains the necessary information.

Thus, for example,
    a licensee may accept a valid driver's license that accurately reflects the purchaser's
    name, date of birth, and photograph, along with a vehicle registration issued
    by the State indicating the transferee's current address."

ATF Rul. 80-21:

"Applying the above example to out-of-State college students it is held, that during the time the students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location they are considered residents of the State where the dormitory or off-campus home is located."

Indiana state law:

IC 35-47-2.5-5:

"Documentation of personal identification and residence

Sec. 5. (a) To establish personal identification and residence in
    Indiana for purposes of this chapter, a dealer must require a
    prospective purchaser to present one (1) photographic identification
    form issued by a governmental agency of the state or by the United
    States Department of Defense, or other documentation of residence.

(b) Except when photographic identification was issued by the
    United States Department of Defense, other documentation of
    residence must show an address identical to that shown on the
    photographic identification form or as amended by proper notice of
    change of address filed with the issuing authority. Suitable other
    documentation of residence includes:

(1) evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real
    estate tax, a current lease, utility, or telephone bill, a voter
    registration card, a bank check, a passport, an automobile
    registration, or a hunting or fishing license;

(2) other current identification allowed as evidence of residency
    by 27 CFR 178.124 and United States Alcohol, Tobacco, and
    Firearms Ruling 79-7; or

(3) other documentation of residence, determined to be
    acceptable by the state police department, that corroborates that
    the prospective purchaser currently resides in Indiana.

(c) If the photographic identification was issued by the United
    States Department of Defense, permanent orders may be used as
    documentation of residence."

I'd greatly appreciate any information or input you guys might have relating to my ability to purchase a gun, thanks in advance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't understand your question. Please re-state.

What is your photographic identification form from Indiana?

Why play games? Why just get an Indiana DL and make it clean?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    What state do you file your "state taxes" in? Except for specific exemptions, that is your state of residency, and where you should purchase your handgun.

Ravstafarian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Lafayette
    Kirk:

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the poorly posed question. My question is: Is it possible for me to purchase a gun in Indiana? I am a college student, I have a lot of things tied to my identity in FL and as I don't know where I'll end up after graduating in a year or two I can't justify going through the trouble of establishing an identity in Indiana just for the sake of purchasing a gun. Therefore, I don't have an Indiana photo ID such as a drivers license. Playing games is not my intent, if it is not possible to buy one legally then I will simply forego it.

wolfman:

The beauty of living in Florida is no state taxes! All joking aside though, I am currently employed by Purdue (research assistantship as a grad student) and file Indiana state taxes on my income. My issue is that I'm still a FL resident so I don't have IN photo ID with my local address, and I'm confused by the generous use of the word "or" in the Indiana state code regarding establishing residency through alternate documents such as utility bills, which are acceptable at the BMV (I was able to title a car by doing so).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wait, how long have you lived here? Why do you not have an Indiana DL?

If you are an Indiana resident, why do you not have an Indiana DL? You had 60 days from the day you established residence.

What is really going on here? Are you a resident of Indiana or not?

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Wait, how long have you lived here? Why do you not have an Indiana DL?

If you are an Indiana resident, why do you not have an Indiana DL? You had 60 days from the day you established residence.

What is really going on here? Are you a resident of Indiana or not?

If he is a student, isn't he still considered a resident of FL, unless he decides to establish IN residency by getting a DL and filing state taxes as a resident?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are an Indiana resident, then you must have an Indiana DL within 60 days of moving here (if you drive).

If you have an Indiana DL, walk into the gun dealer, fill out the 4473 and undergo the background check.

If you are not an Indiana resident, yet are still here (but do not drive), then have the pistol sent to your dealer in Florida, fly back and pick it up there.

Ravstafarian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Lafayette
    Kirk: Just noticed you're in Lafayette as well! I've been here a while, got my undergrad and am currently working on a grad degree at Purdue. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the legal jargon, and may be using the word "residence" improperly.

Wolfman is correct, state residency is not so straightforward as a student, below are the conditions as listed on the Purdue Registrar website. I am considered a financial dependent on my mother, I cannot establish legal residency in IN and am considered a resident of FL (therefore the 60 days rule does not apply). However, for proving physical residency for some things (such as transferring car titles at the BMV) you can use documents such as utility bills and rental leases. The ATF also allows use of such documents in establishing local residency for out-of-state students, as outlined in the provisions I listed in the original post.

Purdue University - Office of the Registrar - Residency

From their site:

How can I become an instate student for tuition purposes? There are two alternative ways to qualify for resident status (see below). Both rely on three important concepts: emancipation, domicile and predominant purpose. These terms have specific legal definitions that cannot be defined fully in this brief description. In general, however, emancipation refers to financial independence from your parents or guardians; domicile refers to the permanent home where you reside; and predominant purpose refers to what you do with your time while living here (e.g., work full-time, go to school, etc.).

1. You are an unemancipated student (financially dependent) and your parent or guardian establishes a domicile in Indiana prior to the first day of the academic session for which resident classification is sought. The move to Indiana must be predominantly for reasons other than to enable you to gain resident status for tuition purposes (such as moving because of a job transfer).
    2. You are an emancipated student (financially independent) and have been domiciled in Indiana for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the academic session for which resident classification is sought. Your domicile must be established for a predominant purpose other than attending an institution of higher education.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    However I am unsure what the state law says as it isn't worded as clearly

I am still unsure why you do not wish to become an Indiana resident, get an Indiana DL and make it clean rather than a shaggy dog fact pattern, but since you had a question about the statute let's take a gander at it:

Sec. 5. (a) To establish personal identification and residence in
    Indiana for purposes of this chapter, a dealer must require a
    prospective purchaser to present one (1) photographic identification
    form issued by a governmental agency of the state or by the United
    States Department of Defense, or other documentation of residence.

(emphasis added)

See the "or"s, this means you read the statute disjunctively.

Does your Purdue ID have your Indiana address on it? Have you talked to an FFL to see how they handle this scenario and what they require in-house?

student.jpg

Last edited:

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    How much money do you make as a student. State tax is of no concern. Claim residency somewhere. Get a liscense and buy the damn gun. Stop being difficult.

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    Do you have FL CCW(Plus IN recognizes it, so you can carry in IN.)? If you do, then there is no 3 day wait in FL, also there is no 3 day wait on rifles or shotguns, or if you are trading in a gun. Also when you do come to FL you can buy thru a private sale(armslist, florida gun trader, friends, relatives, gun shows-private sale) nothing legally prevent you waiting 3 days, except buy it from a gun shop.

Ravstafarian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Lafayette
    Thank you 9x18 for the informative post, whereabouts are you in central Florida? I'm originally from the Orlando area, near UCF. I don't have an FL CCW, I will look for private sales next time I go back. Unfortunately I rarely go these days, which was why I was interested in buying locally.

Taxes are not the issue here. For the folks interested in tax details, Indiana only has out of state exemptions for certain neighboring states, if you are a resident elsewhere you must still pay IN taxes (and if FL had taxes I would have to pay those as well, in addition to IN)...As a student I am NOT ALLOWED to become an IN resident.

I referenced the Purdue site but those are not just Purdue regulations, they are state law...IC 3-5-5-7

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    How much money do you make as a student. State tax is of no concern. Claim residency somewhere. Get a liscense and buy the damn gun. Stop being difficult.

Wow, that was both snarky and misguided, not to mention misspelled. OP has already stated the inability to establish IN residency.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Taxes are not the issue here.

Ok, fair enough, but I still do not understand why you don't want this clean.

Regardless, take your Florida DL, documents necessary to prove that you have been living in Indiana (muni water bill, inter alia, look back is 90 days) to your FFL and buy your pistol.

I would call ahead or talk to the FFL to make sure they are cool with what documents you have to prove your WL residency.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    A FL CCW is recognized for carry in Indiana as long as he is not a resident of Indiana.

OP, here's the easy route, since you're in Lafayette:

Go over to Applied Ballistics and spend some time shooting and chatting. Get to know the guys there, specifically Stan. Tell him your situation and ask what he will require of you to sell you a handgun, if he will do so at all.

In no way am I suggesting that anyone can, may, should, or will break any law-quite the contrary! I say to go shooting there because it's fun to go shooting. I say to get to know the people there, especially the FFL dealer himself, because they are good people, and because someone is more inclined to look for ways to legally make something happen for someone they know rather than for someone they just met for the first time.

That would be my recommendation... And nothing against any other gun store, BTW, but Applied is the only place around here that has not only sales but a place to shoot, too.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Do you have FL CCW(Plus IN recognizes it, so you can carry in IN.)? If you do, then there is no 3 day wait in FL, also there is no 3 day wait on rifles or shotguns, or if you are trading in a gun. Also when you do come to FL you can buy thru a private sale(armslist, florida gun trader, friends, relatives, gun shows-private sale) nothing legally prevent you waiting 3 days, except buy it from a gun shop.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A FL CCW is recognized for carry in Indiana as long as he is not a resident of Indiana.

Bill, he doesn't have one.

Which reminds me, OP, if no Florida "CCW" then ensure that you meet the three conditions for carrying in Indiana without a carry license when off to the range--unloaded, secure wrapper, inaccessible.

Top Bottom