• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As long as you are fairly sure that 18 year old does not have a felony conviction, or other reason to not "legally" be able to have a firearm, you can sell a handgun to an 18 year old in the state of Indiana.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    TO be reasonably safe on the sale, let him go get his carry permit. It's a great background check without the NICS system. And then you aren't getting sent to jail for selling a gun to a known fellon. Just happened last month with the guy that had the stand off and shot a cop in southern indiana.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    TO be reasonably safe on the sale, let him go get his carry permit. It's a great background check without the NICS system. And then you aren't getting sent to jail for selling a gun to a known fellon. Just happened last month with the guy that had the stand off and shot a cop in southern indiana.

Completely unnecessary.

If you don't have any reasonable cause to believe they are a felon or otherwise prohibited, you're fine.

There is no legal requirement to check and no requirement for him to have the LTCH to purchase a handgun from you.

IC 35-47-2-7

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Completely unnecessary.

If you don't have any reasonable cause to believe they are a felon or otherwise prohibited, you're fine.

There is no legal requirement to check and no requirement for him to have the LTCH to purchase a handgun from you.

IC 35-47-2-7

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a
    person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.33-1989, SEC.126; P.L.140-1994, SEC.8; P.L.269-1995, SEC.7.
    <A name=IC35-47-2-8>IC 35-47-2-8
    Regulation of sale of handguns imposed by this chapter; application
    Sec. 8. The regulation of the sale of handguns imposed by this chapter shall apply equally to an occasional sale, trade, or transfer between individual persons and to retail transactions between dealers and individual persons.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.17-1997, SEC.6.

How many people do you know that hit the weed, or are an alcoholic or maybe mentally defective? I'm just saying to err on the side of safety, do it with someone that has a permit. There are alot of people in my life that have a hidden history from me. The pink piece of paper is a great way to know what is really going on behind the scenes. There's plenty of potheads and alcoholics that get busted with guns bought from a private citizen and then they are hemmed up. But, you reasonably believe anything you want dude.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How many people do you know that hit the weed, or are an alcoholic or maybe mentally defective? I'm just saying to err on the side of safety, do it with someone that has a permit. There are alot of people in my life that have a hidden history from me. The pink piece of paper is a great way to know what is really going on behind the scenes. There's plenty of potheads and alcoholics that get busted with guns bought from a private citizen and then they are hemmed up. But, you reasonably believe anything you want dude.

Sorry, that pink piece of paper shouldn't even be required to carry, and it is not required to purchase a handgun. I'm not giving it any more weight than the infringement it is. It is not "a great way" to establish squat IMO.

I don't need the government to check them out and I will not further infringe on a person's right to purchase a handgun beyond what the law requires.

As a seller, you are absolutely free to require a DNA sample if like - you can always make up your own infringements or requirements for your sale. ;)

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    TO be reasonably safe on the sale, let him go get his carry permit. It's a great background check without the NICS system. And then you aren't getting sent to jail for selling a gun to a known felon. Just happened last month with the guy that had the stand off and shot a cop in southern Indiana.

wow.........:rolleyes:.......... as long as you don't know the (seller) person (Buyer) is not Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership of a weapon you are fine the key word is known.

you know how many people have life time pink CC card that are not valid because there now a felon etc. that card mean nothing but at one time they had a background check and they could own a weapon. It mean about the same as you asking are you a felon can you legally own a weapon and let me see your ID to prove you are a Indiana resident private sales and FFL sale are two very different things:ar15:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom