• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Today I went into the local gas station, which I visit daily, I was carrying openly which is what I always do. I am standing in line and there is a police officer in front of me. When he gets done I ask him what type of holster he is using because it hadn't seen one like it before. He tells me what it is and then asks if I had my LTCH on me and wanted to see it.

Am I legally bound to show him? Is seeing a weapon being carried openly enough probably cause for him to want to see it?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Today I went into the local gas station, which I visit daily, I was carrying openly which is what I always do. I am standing in line and there is a police officer in front of me. When he gets done I ask him what type of holster he is using because it hadn't seen one like it before. He tells me what it is and then asks if I had my LTCH on me and wanted to see it.

Am I legally bound to show him? Is seeing a weapon being carried openly enough probably cause for him to want to see it?

Yes.

Buckshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Tipton, County
    what more PC would he need? That is why I don't open carry. I like it that people don't know who is armed and who is not. I have had a permit for 32 years and always wanted it known.. But I guess I am old school.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Thank you. And yes he was nice about it. In fact, if I hadn't directly got his attention and asked him about his holster, he probably wouldn't have said anything. It was more less a test to see how he would react. The small town I live in has had some issues with police officers abusing their powers and intimidating people. But now we have a new police chief and mayor which the chief has 32 years experience as a Madison County Sheriff and I can already tell that they are weeding out the aggressive power hungry officers who overstep their bounds and violate the rights of citizens just because of the simple fact that not many citizens in this town know what rights they have.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Carrying a handgun is a crime in Indiana. The LTCH is a positive defense against that crime. Yes, he has a right to ask you to show cause why you shouldn't be arrested for carrying a handgun.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Carrying a handgun is a crime in Indiana. The LTCH is a positive defense against that crime. Yes, he has a right to ask you to show cause why you shouldn't be arrested for carrying a handgun.

Would the same apply to driving a car? Can the police pull you over for the sole purpose of checking for a driver's license, simply because they see you operating a vehicle?

Not trying to poke. I'm legitimately curious.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Thank you. And yes he was nice about it. In fact, if I hadn't directly got his attention and asked him about his holster, he probably wouldn't have said anything. It was more less a test to see how he would react. The small town I live in has had some issues with police officers abusing their powers and intimidating people. But now we have a new police chief and mayor which the chief has 32 years experience as a Madison County Sheriff and I can already tell that they are weeding out the aggressive power hungry officers who overstep their bounds and violate the rights of citizens just because of the simple fact that not many citizens in this town know what rights they have.

Good, about time. Who is the new Chief?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Would the same apply to driving a car? Can the police pull you over for the sole purpose of checking for a driver's license, simply because they see you operating a vehicle?

Not trying to poke. I'm legitimately curious.
    No. The USSC ruled that you cannot be stopped just to check your DL. I don't remember the case, but I'm sure one of our legal experts can site it.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    what more PC would he need? That is why I don't open carry. I like it that people don't know who is armed and who is not. I have had a permit for 32 years and always wanted it known.. But I guess I am old school.

:lala::lala::lala: What did you say??? I can't hear you!!! :lala::lala::lala:

Pay no attention to this post folks, nothing to see here, just keep moving. :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    LOL, hey, my oldest nephew wears a mohawk and I WISH I had enough hair to wear a mohawk.:laugh:

A haircut is not reasonable suspicion but carrying a pistol, until a change in the statute, likely is.

Reasonable suspicion for stop=articuable facts that the officer can observe

Probable cause=fair probability that a crime is transpiring or has transpired

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I think it was the first time he had ever saw an LTCH because it took him about 45 seconds to find where it says my name on it. I heard him mumble under his breath, "where's the name?" He's probably mid 20's and is only a cop because his dad was the Mayor and got him hired in last year or the year before.

He had a plain clothes detective with him and he didn't even act like it was a big deal. He turned and walked out of the store while the cop was looking for my name on the LTCH.

Top Bottom