Legal to Carry in Church with classrooms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hello everyone!
    I have been thinking over a situation that I need some help with.
    My family and I visit a church that is in a sketchy area. I have long since felt the desire to carry during these times, however the church also has classrooms and a Sunday school session. I know that it is not legal to carry in schools.. but does this apply to a church with a Sunday school class?
    Where does the line between the formal school law and other classroom buildings reside?

I welcome any comments or clarification on this to help put my mind at ease.
    Thank you!!! :ingo:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The INGO FAQ has some great information on where it is illegal to carry.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners-faqs-sticky.html#post187168

Cliff Notes: Unless a church has an actual school, actual pre-school, or licensed day-care on the grounds, it is just a church. Simply using the word "school" to describe something (eg: Sunday School) does not make it a school by Indiana Code.

Post the name/location of the church, and we can pretty quickly tell you if it is also a school.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    As long as the church does't have a licensed Day Care, you are good to go. If they do, you can't carry ever. A school or daycare is off limits 24/7.

Sunday school classes are not a school.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    If recent news about a pastor being shot dead in the middle of a sermon by a church member is any indication, churches are the new public schools when it comes to assaults in a 'gun free' zone. I think it will end up being cultural... I've been to affluent churches in Texas where everyone's packing just because it's Texas but I have also been in churches in declining urban areas that have had to hire armed guards just to protect attendees as they proceed from the curbs into the church building. It is possible that due to your increased situational awareness you are seeing potential problems in the area that other church members just aren't seeing. I might suggest you also take the matter up with the leadership and just explain what you're seeing that they may not see. Simply alerting them may prompt their encouragement to carry, at lease concealed carry, and then if things do turn ugly they know who to turn to so to speak.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Thank you all for the great info and feedback. I apologize for not finding it in the FAQ, but I knew someone would assist. I am pretty sure it is an internal Sunday class, and no formal license or daycare. However, I also agree with jake in asking these questions to the congregation. I am sure there are others that feel the same as I and it would be great to know there are a few other people carring in the building.
    Thanks again!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just ask permission from the owner of the church...........next time you pray.

I've read that He is very understanding. :):

Top Bottom