Legal to use Fmj bullet for fox and yote ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I've read in the reg book where they aren't legal for most things but then it says yote with any rifle you want. No equip reg in that section. Anyone know for sure if it will pass the game warden scrutiny ??

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Why would you want to with such a wide selection of projectiles available that would assure a clean/humane kill ?

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Why would you want to with such a wide selection of projectiles available that would assure a clean/humane kill ?
    They are 30lb dogs, you could kill one with a thrown stick if you could call em in that close. They are in the fur bearer section for reason. Shot to hell fur isn't worth much

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The answer to your question is a solid yes, as long as you're hunting anything legally huntable with bullets (as opposed to shot) except for deer.
    Naturally, you'll want to use much greater precision with shot placement for ethical hunting and to ensure that you retrieve your quarry.
    Yes, a shot placed as you would any expanding bullet will be fatal, but an FMJ bullet may cause unnecessary pain or allow your quarry to run far enough before succumbing for you to find it.
    You'll want to hit the boiler room (heart/lung...good) or fusebox (brain...best) only to ensure you get it done right the first time.
    The fusebox will bring it down instantly, plus the fur damage will be minimized.
    However, have you considered that FMJ bullets may make a smaller entry, but they have the added liability of making an exit to go with that?
    If conventional expanding bullets on the specific quarry you are hunting won't go clear through, you might want to stick to those instead.
    It might be best to ask the folks where you take the pelts which type of damage they think would hurt the value least.

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Legal, yes and .308 fmj to the brain works pretty well. That's all my dad uses and they're out like a light. I use .223 ballistic tips and they also drop in place.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    a yote shot with a fmj will run for a good while,good luck finding him. I wouldn`t do it.

As with anything, shot placement is key to making a humane kill. A bad shot is a bad shot and yotes can run a long time when hit with a bad shot no matter what the bullet is.

FWIW, I've killed more yotes with OTM bullets (for all practical purposes they perform like FMJ) than all other types combined. Typically they drop right where they are, occasionally they take a few steps before dropping.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The last 3 yotes I shot were with Hornady v-max bullets (223 and 243) and noe of them exited the yote.

Some fur guys prefer fmj as they would rather sew up two small holes, than 1 small hole and (possibly) one huge hole IF a hollowpoint/softpoint/varmint bullet exits.

But for me, cleaner kill and no exit, I'll stick with my v-max (or similar) bullets

To OP's questions - yes they're legal, especially since yote is a nuisance animal and can be taken year round on private land. If on public land, they follw the furbearers season. For fox, I'm not as certain, but think you can use any type of bullet, and must stick to furbearers season.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on these

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A fmj will travel a long, long ways off a pass-thru and ricochet. I'd be awful careful using them anywhere without a good backstop. I've personally seen them travel >1.5 miles.

Top Bottom