• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you use the stock it has to meet rifle cartridge spec.
    Remember, even a Sig brace can't be run as a stock.........on a handgun.
    .300 Blk has to be run as handgun, or possibly SBR in handgun form (no stock).

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    "Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

The red part above seems to cover SBRs to me, above and beyond the definition of a handgun in the I.C.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    There is no question on whether or not the 300aac pistol is legal or not. I believe the question is, can you take a legal sbr and remove the stock and put it into pistol form to use.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I believe the question is, can you take a legal sbr and remove the stock and put it into pistol form to use.

Why couldn't you? At that point it is a pistol. It is the same as switching out the barrel to over 16". It is no longer a SBR. It can even be transferred across state lines at this point without needing a Form 20.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think yes.....that SBR is a special classification that covers handgun and rifle forms.
    But we have yet to see that specifically written.
    Yeah, a rifle is a rifle no matter what.............until one goes SBR tax stamp.

Per the old IDNR, it (SBR)still was a rifle, and they'd even allow it in handgun form for deer.............but it had to go by rifle cartridge spec.
    It appears that the state now will recognize it as a handgun and let it be OK in handgun form and cartridge spec.

An SBR is a NFA weapon. While form may allow for transfer across lines without issue.........the receiver is still a specialized item beyond that of a normal pistol. It's in pistol form but it's still an SBR.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There is no question on whether or not the 300aac pistol is legal or not. I believe the question is, can you take a legal sbr and remove the stock and put it into pistol form to use.

You could per the old DNR regs, but it had to go by rifle cartridge spec.

Now it appears the form of an SBR dictates the cartridge allowed.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like it is still firmly in the grey area with it leaning towards the prior understanding that if the SBR has a stock, it is a rifle, and if it doesn't, its a handgun.

Willie-

You post is interesting. Just to clarify, did you ask about a 300BLK SBR with the stock on it?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I was wondering what handguard is pictured on your pistol there?
    Also, great thread. Helped answer some questions I had about hunting with my AR pistol this year!

BoilerMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2018
    New Albany
    This is an old thread, however, I think I found some information that may or may not be helpful.
    I've been considering an AR pistol in 300 blackout. While perusing the eregulation website, I found this little blurb about legal calibers under the handgun title: Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.
    This would indicate to me that the 300 blackout is now out of the legal equipment to hunt deer in Indiana. Am I reading this right?!? It seems silly that so many sources out there say so many different things. Source link: Deer Hunting | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2017 | eRegulations
    Also, there is no date, but it's hard to find any info for the 2018 season.

Mods, place this where it should go if not here...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This is an old thread, however, I think I found some information that may or may not be helpful.
    I've been considering an AR pistol in 300 blackout. While perusing the eregulation website, I found this little blurb about legal calibers under the handgun title: Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.
    This would indicate to me that the 300 blackout is now out of the legal equipment to hunt deer in Indiana. Am I reading this right?!? It seems silly that so many sources out there say so many different things. Source link: Deer Hunting | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2017 | eRegulations
    Also, there is no date, but it's hard to find any info for the 2018 season.

Mods, place this where it should go if not here...

How did you come to that conclusion? The "blurb" is simply giving some examples of cartridges that do not meet the defined requirements for hunting with a handgun. 300 BLK is not listed, and it still meets the requirements... still legal

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...and 300BLK still meets the pistol cartridge dimension requirements.

The dimensions of the cartridge and the weapon itself are what qualifies it for legal deer hunting.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ...and 300BLK still meets the pistol cartridge dimension requirements.

The dimensions of the cartridge and the weapon itself are what qualifies it for legal deer hunting.
    Maybe I could have phrased that better. 300BLK still meets the dimensional requirements to be used in a pistol.

BoilerMike, this is a .30 carbine; it's a specific cartridge, not a bullet caliber.
    222333i_ts.jpg

Top Bottom