Legion Commander asked me if i could "take it outside"?really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    Alright to give you the story, had a benefit at American Legion post for a member who has medical issues and is pretty young and all.

I get over there a little late due to work and by the way, I'm a Regular member being a good hoosier veteran...and still currently serving, and also a Sons member at THIS POST.

My gun is holstered on the outside of my belt with shirt over it at times and after about an hour of being there so 9:30-10pm time. the New Commander comes over and ask me if i have a gun, I replied yes, and then he said "Hey do you mind if you could take that outside to your truck."

I was getting ready to respond but just walked out to put it in my truck(locked up & reason of the benefit why I didn't leave completely), came back in and he came over and "Hey just wanted to say it's not personal, I have my 'concealed carry' too and carry normally too" this is when I told him how I felt with the bunch around us. "Well ____ as you just told me you don't have your's on you and I know for fact we didn't hire any cops to guard the doors today, I'm gonna call you out on your BS because other wise I didn't want to argue with you at this event but now that you brought it up, of all places filled with veterans and family on a Saturday night and you being a Veteran yourself, you want to tell me to take my gun outside?, ya never again will it be outside beside tonight, you won't get new member treating people like this at the post for someone who just started his command."

Just let you know how that went guys, any thought besides going to the regulars meeting and telling the officers there how that went.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've only been in three, but all three AL post I've been in had posted no firearms. I've concealed and kept my mouth shut and never had a problem.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Not a veteran here but that does confuse me, interesting that this would happen in a place like that. I would continue to carry concealed.

Also thank you for your service, that goes for any of you who have served. :patriot:

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    It sounds to me like someone has succumbed to the fear mongering they see\hear from the mainstream media. Good for you to explain your position and remind the commander of the freedoms those in attendance have served so bravely to protect.

Mike

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A woman asked me why I had mine at my Post one time. I told her everytime she's seen me in 20 years it was on my side, and she didn't have a problem with it.

Then the bartender and between quarter and half of the customers laughed and said they were armed.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It's not an insurance thing, it's a control thing. Disclaimer: I have no knowledge or ties to this Post, veterans being told to remove their weapons, I don't see any other viable reason.
    You'd be surprised how far into people's business that insurance companies will stick their nose... it sucks, but it really does happen. For instance , just try owning a rental property and having a renter with a dog that even remotely resembles a pitbull... I've known folks that got notices that "people working for the insurance company had driven by and seen it, and they had a week to get rid of the tenant's dog or lose the insurance on their place...". I have no knowledge of the Post in question, but I'm not so quick to dismiss how far the insurance weasels will go...

And yeah, good for the OP for standing your ground and doing so reasonably. Pity that you had to.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When Flat Creek range closed and INGO member printmitch bought it and reopened as Applied Ballistics, he and I had a short conversation about a rule he and his partner were considering for the business, specifically, no loaded weapons inside, other than on the range itself. In a gun store with a gun range attached, they had actually announced here on INGO that they were going to make the place effectively a "gun free zone". So I went over, before they actually were open to the public, and we had a sit-down. When I left, he had decided to put in place a different rule, that no unholstered or uncased weapons were allowed. In short, carry, and that's fine. Draw it from the holster or bring one in uncased (in hand, that is) and you will be told to leave. Several members had said they would not be joining or using that range or store with the other policy, so the change made more of us feel welcome.

Fast forward to the opening of another gun store I will not name. That business put up a no guns inside sign. I've been in there exactly once. I was not impressed with the offerings and even less with the service. I did discuss with someone, and I don't recall if they were connected with the business, but I seem to remember that the "insurance" argument was made. I responded, "Find a better insurance co.", because they obviously exist. Applied found one.

For this reason, I will say that any business that uses the insurance co. as their excuse for disallowing carry is being, at best, disingenuous. Personally, I'm of the opinion that they are using the insurance company as their scapegoat, covering the fact that the owner doesn't want guns in the business. My own policy is simple: Protect and honor my gun rights if you want my business. If you don't want my gun, you don't want my business, and I will honor your wishes.

I don't in any way say that it is not the owner's prerogative to choose his policies. He just has to bear the consequences of his decisions, for good or for ill. To me, it seems that a gun store would want to welcome gun owners, not alienate them. Doing that seems more to me like the American Pork Producers advertising in an Islamic newspaper.

Blessings,
    Bill

You'd be surprised how far into people's business that insurance companies will stick their nose... it sucks, but it really does happen. For instance , just try owning a rental property and having a renter with a dog that even remotely resembles a pitbull... I've known folks that got notices that "people working for the insurance company had driven by and seen it, and they had a week to get rid of the tenant's dog or lose the insurance on their place...". I have no knowledge of the Post in question, but I'm not so quick to dismiss how far the insurance weasels will go...

And yeah, good for the OP for standing your ground and doing so reasonably. Pity that you had to.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    If your Legion is anything like the one I am a member of, there is more than likely a safe full of Garands and 03 rifles in the next room.
    The hypocricy these days is so thick...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If your Legion is anything like the one I am a member of, there is more than likely a safe full of Garands and 03 rifles in the next room.
    The hypocricy these days is so thick...

If those are government rifles like ours are, then they are decommissioned. Plugged and welded.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of all places that could be anti-gun, this baffles me a bit.

Legality's fellas.
    Lawyers.
    Lawsuits.
    Drinking and firearms.
    We live is in a society that will sue "Every One" for any reason and especially a gun related incident.
    The Batman incident had the theater involved in that lawsuit. They were just now let off the hook for the action of a nut. But they were part of the ongoing legal issues.
    Being in the right does not release you from the legal fees involved to prove it in a system that moves at a snails pace.
    Simple as that.
    The system will hook you.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Eh, join the VFW, always seemed much more laid back, definitely less political in my experience. Most American Legion commanders had something to prove so I stopped going.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    minuteman32 had issues with his local Legion post over this.

I am not convinced that (at least in some cases) it has anything at all to do with insurance or lawyers. There are people who simply don't want you to have a gun unless you're doing something on their personally approved list, and some of those people are in charge of American Legion posts.

Top Bottom