• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was looking over Netflix stock the other day and the revenue they generate and I got to thinking about something. Does every police officer in the country have dash cams and or body cams? If not, what would you think if a company provided them to every officer in the USA at no cost....and in return the company who provides the cameras then can sell subscriptions to allow the general public to log in and watch any camera at any time? What would you think? It would be like LivePD but the person paying monthly fee can choose who to ride with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IANAL, but I think there might be privacy concerns, or "official" concerns. Think how many times departments wait to release body/dash cam videos for active investigations.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I was looking over Netflix stock the other day and the revenue they generate and I got to thinking about something. Does every police officer in the country have dash cams and or body cams? If not, what would you think if a company provided them to every officer in the USA at no cost....and in return the company who provides the cameras then can sell subscriptions to allow the general public to log in and watch any camera at any time? What would you think? It would be like LivePD but the person paying monthly fee can choose who to ride with.

When depts already allow these programs to do this for free and it is poblic record I don't see a company paying millions of dollars for this investment.

There is no way a lot of video could be released, rape/murder investigations and consent are flat no go's.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    required. Those cams dont stream. The data is stored onboard.
    Yeah, the ones that are being used now but I’m sure if producing company want to get involved they would provide streaming cameras at no cost to the PD for the footage. This could save taxpayers millions. I think it’s an avenue worth pursuing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, the ones that are being used now but I’m sure if producing company want to get involved they would provide streaming cameras at no cost to the PD for the footage. This could save taxpayers millions. I think it’s an avenue worth pursuing.

With everybody and their brother streaming police interactions on their cell phones, I'm not sure how this would go over. And as mentioned, sensitivity might be an issue for things like rape, murder, etc.. Sounds neat, but I think there are a lot of "gotchas" to take into account.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The cameras are only a small part of the cost. Don’t forget the storage costs, the backup costs, the maintenance agreement costs, network and bandwidth costs, etc.

Storage & backup are going to be huge costs.

Plus the data retention policy on how long you keep the video will play into those storage costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Since the usual fellas haven’t stumbled onto this yet, allow me:

No. And not only no, but **** no.

You clearly have no idea what the job entails if you think live stream is a good thing. It’s not ****ing tv. It’s real people with real lives and real problems. Most of which to you have clearly not devoted more than a whisp of thought.

That sounded harsh. It is.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Since the usual fellas haven’t stumbled onto this yet, allow me:

No. And not only no, but **** no.

You clearly have no idea what the job entails if you think live stream is a good thing. It’s not ****ing tv. It’s real people with real lives and real problems. Most of which to you have clearly not devoted more than a whisp of thought.

That sounded harsh. It is.

The local News can show a crashed vehicle on live TV, where fatalities are involved, before the family is notified...and that is ok. Cameras can follow LEO inside a person's home (LivePD) even when the person being filmed asks to not be filmed, and the officers response is ignore them, they are filming me. Stuff happens, that is life. You are right though, I have no idea what your job entails....but if I had my way, we could all know what it entails by paying a subscription fee and watching.

Edit: One thing I have thought about though is how you would protect identities of people. Like now, they usually censor names and addresses.....how could you do that live?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    The cameras are only a small part of the cost. Don’t forget the storage costs, the backup costs, the maintenance agreement costs, network and bandwidth costs, etc.

Storage & backup are going to be huge costs.

Plus the data retention policy on how long you keep the video will play into those storage costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m thinking you are missing the point of the OP. It would be payed for by the production company and then the consumer would pay for the viewing of it. And again I’m not saying I’m all for this I’m just saying it’s an avenue worth looking at cut the cost to the departments and taxpayers.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I think about work and how boring most of the camera footage would be. Obviously they could do a highlight reel but then it's just Cops without a camera man.

If you want it to be a real take the homeviewer need to be legally obligated to watch the next 15 times we go back to that same house to hear the same neighborhood problem/juvenile problem/harassment.

Doing citizen ride alongs is probably a better idea

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Live PD has a new Show Thursday @10:00 pm with Body, Dash And aerial Cam footage. Shawn "Sticks" Larkin Hosts.

I missed it last night...we went to the fair and I got in too late. Forgot to record it as well. You know they also have the lady version on Mondays on Lifetime. It is called Live PD Presents: Women on Patrol.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We need a show that pits fugatives against each other in a series of to the death battles. (Yeah I know its several movies ;) )

Or how about just a show that films a pedofile/sex crime cell block, and a single machete is tossed into the middle and all the cell doors unlocked all at once.
    No officers inside

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Lots of privacy problems there. The video requires for all non parties to be blurred out.

Futlrther more not all stations have cams body or dash.

Lots of departments are actually removing the cameras bc they don't have the staff/time/money/resources to keep up with demand for video which needs to be edited before it can be sent out.

Also for lots of police cameras are a bug point of contention as to if they help or hinder an officers actions when something goes down.

Top Bottom