Leo approaches & taps on window do you have to roll it down?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I attempted to search for this and couldn't fit it. Also if Mods feel it should post in another area please move!

Other than to just enough to hand out license and registration (1/4 inch)

When a Cop Knocks on the Window, Just Drive Away (in Wisconsin) - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Here's the story:

When a Cop Knocks on the Window, Just Drive Away (in Wisconsin)
    J.D. Tuccille|Jul. 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Fear no more that heart-in-throat moment when a police officer knocks on your driver's side window and you think to yourself, "oh ****. Now what?" Because the answer is to just put the car in gear and cruise away—at least, if you live in Wisconsin. Earlier this month, the state's Supreme Court ruled that a tap on the glass does not in and of itself give people reason to assume they've been detained, so they're free to go about their business.

Just don't roll over the cop's foot.

The decision actually came in a case that didn't work out to the defendant's benefit. On Christmas morning in 2011, Deputy Matthew Small of the Grant County Sheriff's Department noticed a car with its engine running in a parking lot. He found the vehicle's presence "suspicious." He parked directly behind the car, approached and knocked on the driver's side, and asked driver Daniel Vogt to roll down the window. The result was a blast of booze breath which got Vogt busted for drunk driving.

Vogt argued that Small had no reason to conduct a traffic stop, and that any evidence obtained by it should be suppressed. While the appeals court agreed with him, a majority on the supreme court reversed, saying that Vogt was under no duress and didn't have to interact with the deputy. Wrote Justice David T. Prosser for the majority:

Although we acknowledge that this is a close case, we conclude that a law enforcement officer's knock on a car window does not by itself constitute a show of authority sufficient to give rise to the belief in a reasonable person that the person is not free to leave.

Really?

The court adds, "The objective of law enforcement is to protect and serve the community. Accordingly, an officer's interactions with people are not automatically adversarial."

Do you ever get the impression that judges really don't interact with the same police officers the rest of us meet? Or at all?

For the record, Deputy Small told the court that if Vogt had revved the engine and driven away, that would have been fine by him because he "had nothing to stop him for."

Uh huh.

Vogt apparently felt a little boxed in during the encounter, and the appeals court agreed that "when a uniformed officer approaches a vehicle at night and directs the driver to roll down his or her window, a reasonable driver would not feel free to ignore the officer." But this is is a misinterpretation of "social instinct" to defer to authority, says the Supreme Court.

All right, then.

That leaves Vogt screwed. But Wisconsin residents are free to drive away from the cops. That's what the court says.

J.D. Tuccille is managing editor of Reason.com.

Follow J.D. Tuccille on Twitter

Last edited:

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm betting that the common man couldn't just drive away, not breaking any laws, pull in to your garage and go in to your house without a serious sh*t storm of trouble.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The flip side: it becomes a consensual encounter - then the LEO notices something (like booze breath) during the **** chat...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The flip side: it becomes a consensual encounter - then the LEO notices something (like booze breath) during the **** chat...

Indeed so, and then some people wonder why others are the way they are about police, fact notwithstanding that the court set this up with no particular fault of the officer involved.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It looks to me (IANAL) like what the WI supreme court was ruling on was a very specific situation in which the officer did not make any kind of traffic stop, nor make any indication the guy was being detained. It'd be like meeting an officer going about your daily business and he just wants to chat--you are certainly free to wish him a good day and refuse to talk to him. I'm betting that once there is a traffic stop made and somebody tries to just drive away, there will be a s$%t-ton of trouble heading their way very shortly.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    One way to find out is to drive away. If he just lets you go then he had no reason to stop you. If a Mag light comes crashing through your window as you are ripped out then he most likely did.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One way to find out is to drive away. If he just lets you go then he had no reason to stop you. If a Mag light comes crashing through your window as you are ripped out then he most likely did.

Indeed. This is exactly the type of situation the court should have made a point to avoid creating.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Indeed. This is exactly the type of situation the court should have made a point to avoid creating.

But that's OK. You get the privilege of settling it in a court room.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But that's OK. You get the privilege of settling it in a court room.

Yes. Sure. You get to find out what the law is after already making a decision in which you could lose big either way depending on the whim of the judge, or the last judge to rule on the case.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Adan Carolla quote (Adam is not known for liking cops): "Most cops don't want to give a ticket to a nice guy. They want to give a ticket to an @$$hole."

I find truth in this. Decide who you want to be.

That's the practical side- here's the lawyer side:

The issue of the case was not whether driving away would be smart or advisable or whether it could have led to something else. It was a narrow ruling that under the circumstances of this case, the driver complied voluntarily. Had he tried to drive away and the cop pulled him over with the lights on, yelling at him, etc., then he would have been being detained and several safeguards then come into play. As it was, the "adversarial" nature of the interaction had not occurred at the time driver voluntarily rolled his window down. Something as simple as him initially refusing to do so, then being ordered to, forcefully, would have changed the outcome completely.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Adan Carolla quote (Adam is not known for liking cops): "Most cops don't want to give a ticket to a nice guy. They want to give a ticket to an @$$hole."

I find truth in this. Decide who you want to be.

So if I decide to politely but properly exercise my rights I suddenly become "an@$$hole"?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've never understood the "rolling down the window slightly" nonsense. Deputy Pukemyer or Officer Schmuckatelli can just have you step out of the car.

People need to go back and find Uncle Kirk's traffic school post. "Am I free to go?"

If you are not free to go, then stay. If you are free to go, then leave. Kisses are optional.

Shut your baconhole, don't play silly cop games (the 20 questions silliness), keep a clean vehicle, hang up the phone and follow the traffic code.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I've never understood the "rolling down the window slightly" nonsense. Deputy Pukemyer or Officer Schmuckatelli can just have you step out of the car.

People need to go back and find Uncle Kirk's traffic school post. "Am I free to go?"

If you are not free to go, then stay. If you are free to go, then leave. Kisses are optional.

Shut your baconhole, don't play silly cop games (the 20 questions silliness), keep a clean vehicle, hang up the phone and follow the traffic code.
    Request K-9; write slowly

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    "Shut your baconhole, don't play silly cop games (the 20 questions silliness), keep a clean vehicle, hang up the phone and follow the traffic code."

That is unless you want to WIN "silly cop" prizes!!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if I decide to politely but properly exercise my rights I suddenly become "an@$$hole"?

Who said that? I gave some general advice.

I will add, however, that people who continually invoke every "right" they think they have often have ample opportunities to discovery just what the parameters of those rights are.

My rule of thumb, if someone is being reasonable with me, I'm reasonable with them...regardless of whether they are wearing a uniform or not.

Top Bottom