• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Detroit is struggling with paying out tens of millions of dollars each year to cover the lawsuits won against their police department for bad behaviour towards citizens... At least some of the people agree with me and recognize the problem for what it is.

Former Deputy Chief Jamie Fields, who was in charge of consent-decree compliance until he retired in 2009, says the department hasn't gotten the upper hand on excessive force.

He said police supervisors often are reluctant to discipline overly aggressive cops because they make a lot of arrests and produce statistics.

"The majority of officers want to do the right thing," Fields said. "Until you start holding officers accountable and disciplining them for doing wrong things and show that such behavior won't be tolerated, the culture won't change."

Suburbanite's police brutality lawsuit hinges on Detroit officer who broke code of silence | City of Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Detroit is struggling with paying out tens of millions of dollars each year to cover the lawsuits won against their police department for bad behaviour towards citizens... At least some of the people agree with me and recognize the problem for what it is.

Suburbanite's police brutality lawsuit hinges on Detroit officer who broke code of silence | City of Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

It's reprehensible, and they will probably get away with it and have been all along. Their only mistake this time was attacking a professional black guy from West Bloomfield and the cop with morals and integrity that spoke up. Sure glad I decided not to show up for my interview with DPD years ago.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I give that officer a lot of credit. It takes guts to take a stand when you are surrounded by violent criminals.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I give that officer a lot of credit. It takes guts to take a stand when you are surrounded by violent criminals.

I agree, he was relatively new too but was pretty mature. It sounds like he got hired when he was around 40-41 so that probably made the difference. If he would have been a young new guy it might not have gone this way. Maybe there is something to hiring more mature individuals? Won't help us here with the institutionalized age discrimination i.e. PERF though.

Top Bottom