• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ahh....a good ol' INGO educational thread (and I'm being serious, I've learned several things I didn't know) sprinkled with a generous dash of web stalking weirdness. I find a lot of scary, weird, odd, pathetic, butt hurt, "I was bullied as a child" behavior in this thread, and it has nothing to do with cops running plates in a parking lot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There is an audit trail kept but law dictates that license inquires are purged every 90 days I think. The audit only shows the plate number ran and which terminal ran it on what day. There is no location. It's been like that since the 70's.

So we can only track Snafu's PTs attendance every 3 months.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    PRIVACY!!!!

It's like the the cops are leafing through state maintained records to look for open warrants....how dare they. Once the information is in their files, no peeking! (without a warrant)

Yeah, except it's not like that at all. The issue isn't whether LE should/shouldn't have access to LE records. You're direction is heading off into the straw pile.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So we can only track Snafu's PTs attendance every 3 months.

I'm too much of a realist to blow my money in places like that, I know they're pipe dreams at best. You'd more likely be able to track me wherever there are guns, sweets, or electronics..... Would be easier to track my cell though..

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Just woke up, and read the last 4 pages I missed (working midnights this week) and wow...just give yourselves a round of applause lmao.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Back before my lifetime LTCH, I went to the Sheriff's department/county jail to do the paperwork for renewal. While being fingerprinted it came up that they routinely checked plates on vehicles in the parking lot. It seems that some out there will drive to visit a buddy or relative in jail with expired plates or suspended licenses.

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    So, I will say fine, your in public driving down a public road and a police care comes up behind you and runs your plates, no harm no foul. BUT what about this, if you are so concerned about having your plate ran in a parking lot, why not park your car, remove the plate, ensure that your VIN number is not visible from outside the car, and lock the plates in the trunk. I would THINK, that by just not having a plate on a car it not illegal, now you will have to reaffix the plate to the car before you leave, but we are talking about random license plate reading in a parking lot.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    So, I will say fine, your in public driving down a public road and a police care comes up behind you and runs your plates, no harm no foul. BUT what about this, if you are so concerned about having your plate ran in a parking lot, why not park your car, remove the plate, ensure that your VIN number is not visible from outside the car, and lock the plates in the trunk. I would THINK, that by just not having a plate on a car it not illegal, now you will have to reaffix the plate to the car before you leave, but we are talking about random license plate reading in a parking lot.

Until the property owner has it towed (at your expense) as an abandoned vehicle since it has no plate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

There are ordinances concerning none plated vehicles. I have had the city gestapo ordinance/code enforcement agent come up many times when I was building a car and it was not currently plated. It is (or was) a $128 ticket. Thing is, every vehicle we own in registered and current just do not always put the plate on them if they are in stasis. I have owned a few trailer-ed drag cars that were not street driven (much....:)) that would be in the drive in front of the shop and the limp wienie nit-wits would try to fine us for those as well.
    You will have your prized ride impounded if you do this.

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    Until the property owner has it towed (at your expense) as an abandoned vehicle since it has no plate.

I seriously doubt that a car sitting for an hour while someone shops, is going to be towed due to no plate. Yea I can see that happening if the car sits overnight... but for a hour... doubtful

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    There are ordinances concerning none plated vehicles. I have had the city gestapo ordinance/code enforcement agent come up many times when I was building a car and it was not currently plated. It is (or was) a $128 ticket. Thing is, every vehicle we own in registered and current just do not always put the plate on them if they are in stasis. I have owned a few trailer-ed drag cars that were not street driven (much....:)) that would be in the drive in front of the shop and the limp wienie nit-wits would try to fine us for those as well.
    You will have your prized ride impounded if you do this.

On private property, or sitting in the street?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I seriously doubt that a car sitting for an hour while someone shops, is going to be towed due to no plate. Yea I can see that happening if the car sits overnight... but for a hour... doubtful

OK.......you are concerned about random plate checks. What do you think will happen if LEO rolls up on your ride with no plates and VIN covered. In about 60 seconds there will be a flat bed dispatched to snatch it up. Not a knock on how you feel just a statement of fact. Out in the big nasty (real world) you will not get around the rules.

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    OK.......you are concerned about random plate checks. What do you think will happen if LEO rolls up on your ride with no plates and VIN covered. In about 60 seconds there will be a flat bed dispatched to snatch it up. Not a knock on how you feel just a statement of fact. Out in the big nasty (real world) you will not get around the rules.

Oh not saying I would do anything that dumb, just a thought for someone who was so paranoid they didnt want their tag read... And what would give a LEO the authority to tow a vehichle off of private property without the property owners consent?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh not saying I would do anything that dumb, just a thought for someone who was so paranoid they didnt want their tag read... And what would give a LEO the authority to tow a vehichle off of private property without the property owners consent?

There is a thread somewhere here on INGO about the police trying
    to tow a car from the driveway of a home.
    The car didn't have current plates on it. I can't remember all
    the details or the resolution .........
    I'm too lazy to look for it, it was probably about 2 yrs ago +/-.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Abandoned non-plated vehicle. My son rolls for a recovery service and he does it all the time for LEO. It is just the way of things.

If someone is that :tinfoil: they have deeper issues that should be addressed quickly........:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a thread somewhere here on INGO about the police trying
    to tow a car from the driveway of a home.
    The car didn't have current plates on it. I can't remember all
    the details or the resolution .........
    I'm too lazy to look for it, it was probably about 2 yrs ago +/-.

Code enforcement can have a repeat/long term offender removed off private property. Not sure of the process but they have came through my area a few times and cleaned it up.

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    Well the IC States: IC 9-22-1-16
    Towing vehicle from private property
    Sec. 16. (a) If after twenty-four (24) hours the person who owns a vehicle believed to be abandoned on private property has not removed the vehicle from the private property, the person who owns or controls the private property on which the vehicle is believed to be abandoned may have the vehicle towed from the private property.
    (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), in an emergency situation a vehicle believed to be abandoned on private property may be removed immediately. As used in this subsection, "emergency situation" means that the presence of the vehicle believed to be abandoned interferes physically with the conduct of normal business operations of the person who owns or controls the private property or poses a threat to the safety or security of persons or property, or both.

So it sounds to me like if you removed the plate, had the vehicle parked in a spot that was not interfering with business or was not a safety hazard, that you would be in the clear for at least 24 hours. Now of course the property owner can request the vehicle be towed at any time of their choosing...

Top Bottom