• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Suggests we refer to those scary looking rifles as 'defense weapons'.

I prefer "firearms."

Weapon is a loaded term.

They are just tools, with multiple uses. Like hammers, baseball bats, knives, etc. They are not weapons until they are used as such.

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, we have to stop letting them define the tems of the argument. If you get to choose the vocabulary you win. As long as they are "weapons of war" we will never win any argument.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Weapon is a loaded term.

Uh, it had BETTER be.

But, yeah, I am very careful about terminology. Words actually MEAN things, you know. A lot of folks, including most of the media, are simply ignorant.

I read in another article somewhere that the term "assault weapon/rifle" didn't even exist until the last weapon ban. They had to make it up in order to define what was getting banned. All it means is a "gun that looks vaguely similar to something a soldier might use." Pretty silly.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Personally I prefer the term assault rifle to sporting rifle.

You won't find anything to do with sports in the Constitution, BOR or the writings and debates of the founding fathers.

If you must "label them" Call them Freedom Rifles. Liberty rifles. Tyrant stoppers. BadGuy Defeaters. This proves I'm not a slave rifle. Constitutional Rifles.

or as other have suggested... Rifles.

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I appreciate some of the comments so far, I stand by the idea that we should not be calling them assault weapons. I keep hearing folks on tv saying that weapons used in the field of battle do not belong on the streets. As a female, I can honestly say I am not sure, but I THINK that the ar 15 is not a military issue arm. I am also surprised how many of my girlfriends think these guns are machine guns. I keep explaining they are really no different than wooden stocked guns, they just LOOK like army guns!

The left is controlling this conversation by virtue of the obama acolyte old media. We need to do what we can to change the conversation. As I said, my friends don't see why a citizen needs an army gun. I know it's a wrong perception, but that's what the media and now (quaking in my boots) Obama's campaign apparatus is gearing up to do. Spread DISINFORMATION and ASSAULT WEAPON is a tool in that disinfo box.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You are correct. The US military does NOT use AR-15s. They use the M16 or M4. They can look really similar in many ways, but the AR-15 is NOT the same thing.

Folks are quite simply ignorant, and just need an education.

An AR-15 is simply a modern rifle. Heck, it is actually pretty old, since it was introduced in 1963. Externally, it is essentially the same as its military cousin. Internally, it is VERY different. Some of the major components (trigger group, bolt carrier, and other parts of the "lower" assembly) are completely different, and can't really (well, legally) be swapped.

The only reason it "looks" like an army gun, is because folks WANT it to look that way. The same reason folks like red sports cars. The color/shape certainly doesn't add anything special to the gun. Heck, you can actually get nice WOOD stock/forearm sets for the AR, and it looks like any other run-of-the-mill hunting rifle.

Which of these is an "Assault Rifle"?

ar15.jpeg

or
    images

Answer: Neither! They are the same darn gun!

Change the upper and the magazine, and you could have a "evil, black" but legal Deer rifle for Indiana!

How about an even better comparison?

This:
    mossberg-ar-22.jpg

OR
    KittyRifle.jpg

The top one is a .22LR caliber SQUIRREL GUN!!!
    The bottom one is a REAL AR-15. The same one everyone is all up in a bunch over. Cute, though, isn't it?

Just like judging a person by their color or their clothes, judging a rifle simply by appearance is a worthless endeavor.

Top Bottom