• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    257 Roberts, 257 Roberts Improved (28 deg), 257 Roberts Ackley Improved (40 deg)—Which caliber to buy a rifle in?

I've read a few articles online so far and as I understand it the Roberts is a flat shooting low recoil round designed for varmints and light skinned game (whitetail). I am new to rifle hunting and I want something different than the standard 30.06

This will likely be my out of state hunting rifle, so my question is which would you choose if you were to buy/build a rifle. And what about barrel length? 20,22,24?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you're set on the quarterbore, I would skip the Roberts and go straight for the .25-06 with a 24 or 26" barrel. Brass and current data is readily available. The additional velocity will allow you to use bullets of tougher construction. There are many experienced hunters who would not hesitate to take an elk at reasonable ranges with the .25-06.

The Roberts' time as come and passed. I wouldn't hesitate building a custom rifle in .257 Roberts, but it wouldn't be a go-to hunting rifle. It would be a showpiece.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    .257 Roberts is one of my all time favorites. As far as its time already come and gone, I have seen it making a comeback just like it has several times in the past. You could get a .25-06 but you would be missing out.

Ammo is on the shelves but not like cookie cutter. 308 and. 30-06.

The. 257 in my experiance has preferred a longer barrel. A 24" barrel would be better but a 22" would do the trick. I really haven't shot any of the "improved" versions but I am pretty sure you could live a long and happy life with a plain old Roberts.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like 0.257"s but I'd like them a lot more if Hornady would release an AMax or Lapua a Scenar. Until then the bores on either side of 0.257" have better bullets available and a smartly picked headstamp will beat the Bob soundly without giving up anything.

If pushed hard there are some 0.257" bullets that shine. In a short action a 100 TSX out of a 25-284 is excellent. I've haven't and don't know anyone who has, killed anything with a Scirocco S2, but they look promising.

Of the options you list the 257 Roberts AI is the pick. Go with a 20" barrel you'll lose only ~150 fps over a 24", even with a Reloader 22ish speed powder. If you are intent on Bobbing you shouldn't be fretting that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like 0.257"s but I'd like them a lot more if Hornady would release an AMax or Lapua a Scenar. Until then the bores on either side of 0.257" have better bullets available and a smartly picked headstamp will beat the Bob soundly without giving up anything.

If pushed hard there are some 0.257" bullets that shine. In a short action a 100 TSX out of a 25-284 is excellent. I've haven't and don't know anyone who has, killed anything with a Scirocco S2, but they look promising.

Of the options you list the 257 Roberts AI is the pick. Go with a 20" barrel you'll lose only ~150 fps over a 24", even with a Reloader 22ish speed powder. If you are intent on Bobbing you shouldn't be fretting that.

that pretty much sums up my feelings aswell, if they come out with a .257 amax ill be all over one.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I built one back in 2004 (ish), had always wanted one. Read too many books praising its virtues when I was a kid.

Used a #4 contour, 12 twist Shilen at 22" and throated it for the 87g Hornady, although it preferred the 75g V-MAX.

I wasn't looking for 25-06/25WSSM/25 Souper/257 Weatherby, I wanted a fairly lightweight rifle for the heavier side of varminting at reasonable ranges.

It did everything I wanted it to, with mild recoil and low powder consumption.

Fed like corn through a goose too.

I think I'll do it again one of these days, probably on a short action Model 70 and throat it a little deeper for some of the newer projectiles and tighten up the base diameter a bit for the Winchester brass.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are going to reload go with the Ackley 40 degree. I have never owned a 257 Roberts but even Ackley said it was one of the best to Improve. There is just something about the nearly straight case and that sharp shoulder. It's always nice to have something a little different.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just depends

I've had a 25-06 and it was an accurate gun. Lotta room to play.

The .257 Roberts has intrigued me since I was a kid reading "Field and Stream" and "Outdoor Life" . Was it Jim Carmichael's wife that liked it so well? It's been too long ago for me to be sure. I'll bet the AI version would give you all the versatility you want and really be hard on coyotes out to 400 yds or better.:yesway:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 257 Roberts has one of the coolest nicknames in the world of firearms and it is still just as useful and effective as it ever was. It ain't old n' busted, like some folks will try n' say it is. In fact, it's downright efficient, particularly in the AI version. It will do everything a 25-'06 will do, it just does it at 50 yards closer range. When it comes to deer and bigger varmints, at something less than extreme range, it's probably a BETTER choice than the 25-'06, because it doesn't over-drive bullets or require copious amounts of slow-burning powder.

If you like the idea of going out west to hunt with a "Bob", don't let anyone tell you not to do it. It's plenty of gun and the same basic rule applies; put the bullet where it needs to go and the rest will take care of itself. ;)

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My buddy in Texas who owns the ranch I hunt on... Has been using a "Bob" for nearly four decades on deer, and hogs. His father used one as well. I've witnessed many a clean kill from a "Bob" so I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I believe Ruger sells a rifle chambered in that caliber.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    These days, I think I would rather have a .260 Rem or a 6.5 Creedmoor. Not much difference in bullet diameter (0.007"), but the wide and growing selection of 6.5mm bullets would probably sway me.

The .257 Roberts will probably be around for quite some time, and there's untapped potential for handloaders loading for +P in modern rifles, and/or wildcatters who do an Ackley (.257 AI should match .25-06 ballistics).

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    I've got a 257Roberts in a Ruger hawkeye that i've had for about three months,and can't wait to shoot it. My intentions with "The Bob" is for coyotes and paper,although I wouldn't hesitate to take it out west for deer or goats. Wanted one since I was a kid and am waiting on a set of dies from Midway. Gonna load 80gr TTSX bullets and scare the heck out of them thar coyotes.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I would be interested to hear how fast they go.

In a 25-06AI I've had them crowding 3900 fps, but my only short action 0.257" is out on loan. 3450+ could convince me to build something short, but it'd probably be another 25-284.

Should be easily reached.

Top Bottom