• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ok for everyone that’s in the trades where you have to wear one for ppe. What’s the most comfortable and cool one you’ve had. I get headaches from wearing them and they just in general suck. I work on a paving crew so it’s hot out there. Let’s see what you have or have tried.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Maybe room for a fan in there. I found those around the neck fans actually love some air too

Attachments

• IMG_7801.png
      IMG_7801.png
      549.8 KB · Views: 12

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ok for everyone that’s in the trades where you have to wear one for ppe. What’s the most comfortable and cool one you’ve had. I get headaches from wearing them and they just in general suck. I work on a paving crew so it’s hot out there. Let’s see what you have or have tried.
    Do you know if you are required to use a certain rated hard hat? That in itself could be a game changer.
    Me, with asphalt coming off the truck at 300° plus, I'm gonna want a full brim all the way around my hat.
    A bouncing hot one down the back, and you're gonna be Coco the Dancing Clown.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was against it at first because it looked dumb, but I actually like it better than my old one, now.

Way more comfy and the holes on top allow for good air movement. Chin strap is removable as well if the job doesn't require it.

1000002117.jpg

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    After 34 years of independant research, I've come to the conclusion that all hardhats suck. Traumatic brain injuries suck more, so I threw a double hitch knot in my tampon string and put the damn thing on and thanked God that after 3+ decades of wearing them, I can still stay inside the lines of my coloring book.
    Seriously though, some are more comfortable than others, keeping a moistened welder's hat or a bandana underneath helps to mitigate overheating, keeping a short haircut helps too.
    Good luck.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    https://us.msasafety.com/Head-Protection/Hard-Hats/Skullgard®-Full-Brim-Hard-Hats/p/000060000100001010

This is what I run, but I deal with hot rolling mills

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I was against it at first because it looked dumb, but I actually like it better than my old one, now.

Way more comfy and the holes on top allow for good air movement. Chin strap is removable as well if the job doesn't require it.

View attachment 350140
    After a few tens of thousands of hours of wearing a helmet, sometimes living in one for days on end, this type has always been my go-to. Old-style construction type helmets did exactly one thing: prevent OSHA fines. They did very little to actually protect a worker.

A wise man once told me that a helmet reflects what you think your head is worth. I’ve always used better PPE than was “required” because a lifetime in EMS and rescue has let me see the consequences of accidents, and a lot of them were preventable. Don’t care at all if some idiot thinks that makes me less of a man. The opinion of idiots has never meant anything to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After a few tens of thousands of hours of wearing a helmet, sometimes living in one for days on end, this type has always been my go-to. Old-style construction type helmets did exactly one thing: prevent OSHA fines. They did very little to actually protect a worker.

A wise man once told me that a helmet reflects what you think your head is worth. I’ve always used better PPE than was “required” because a lifetime in EMS and rescue has let me see the consequences of accidents, and a lot of them were preventable. Don’t care at all if some idiot thinks that makes me less of a man. The opinion of idiots has never meant anything to me.
    And what is the point of wearing a hard hat to pick up trash outside in the open along the roadway? sh** aint going to drop on you from above, and a car hitting you is going to send that thing flying, so its useless.

I always shake my head when I pass those guys.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    And what is the point of wearing a hard hat to pick up trash outside in the open along the roadway? sh** aint going to drop on you from above, and a car hitting you is going to send that thing flying, so its useless.

Because we are made to. I’ve made the same point countless times. In my 25 years of service I’ve watched the slow march of retarded ppe regulations moving ever forward. Some are indeed worth while but most are there to please the insurance man.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The point is to prevent OSHA fines.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Go to welding store get leather sweat band for front of band and cut one of top bands so it fits down on head.
    The 25 years that I wore an American Bridge hat, I always used the sponge sweat bands around the front. And why would one cut one of the safety suspension straps out?
    Working for Otis starting in the late 80's when we parked on a job site we were
    required to have steel toes on, a six point harness or our Otis coveralls with built in six point harness's built in them. A approved hard hat on, safety glasses on, leather gloves in a pocket. If caught you most likely would get a vacation.
    Same rules for the Corporate Bosses stopping at job sites to the new Probationary Helpers. Our accidents around the world dropped significantly from then on.

Top Bottom