• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Had the same thing happen to me when I first moved to Indiana, turned out to be a loose wire at the disconnect in the heater closet. Cut and cleaned up the wires and relanded them and heated happily ever after.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Mine ran all night, with occasional interruption by the backup heat. Its almost brand new though. My old one wouldn't of kept up at all.
    We just installed a 97% efficiency unit and it will run all the time trying to satisfy the thermostat setting. It does it but literally runs all the time. While we didn't use any gas in November our electric bill went up $59 over the same time frame last year.

Ours isn't adjusted right yet as it isn't cutting over to gas until its WAY out of range for the heat pump, so we'll be talking to the installer next week.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We just installed a 97% efficiency unit and it will run all the time trying to satisfy the thermostat setting. It does it but literally runs all the time. While we didn't use any gas in November our electric bill went up $59 over the same time frame last year.

Ours isn't adjusted right yet as it isn't cutting over to gas until its WAY out of range for the heat pump, so we'll be talking to the installer next week.
    Depending on your thermostat, it likely has some settings you can change.

I have my auxiliary heat locked out at anything above 10° and it's been kicking on and off all night, but it's done a fine job of keeping the place warm.

Our other house has a natural gas forced air system and it's slightly undersized (thanks Centex and the previous owner that had it built). It runs non stop when it's this cold out but the ventless fireplace I put in picks up the slack and then some...

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County

Our neighborhood is 100% electric, so it's the heat pump's job to keep it warm, with the electric aux heat for backup. This is our first winter with our new system (installed in July) so im interested to see how the electric bills compare to last winter.

Top Bottom