• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    In preparation for this past weekends IDPA championship I loaded up 200 9mm rounds. My go to load had been 4.5 grains of Titegroup in front of a 115 gr. copper clad bullet. I had experimented with 3.4 grains of Titegroup using a 135 grain bullet but ran out of them and went to the 115 grain.

On the very first stage of the shoot last Saturday I began to experience gun malfunctions - specifically smoke stacked cases and failure to feed. This continued throughout the first and second stages which required 17 rounds each stage. On the second stage I had more live rounds on the ground than I sent downrange due to the failure to eject and feed issues and ended up not shooting three of the 10 targets.

When I came home I pulled several bullets from the cases and weighed the powder charge(s). I discovered that I had forgotten to change the powder measure when I converted back to the 115 gr. bullets and thus had loaded them with only 3.4 grains of powder. A woefully inadequate powder charge for that grain bullet caused the gun malfunction(s) and effectively ended any chance for me to have a competitive day. What occurred to me later on was that I was very fortunate not to have a bullet stick in the barrel (squib) with a subsequent round also going off with catastrophic results.

I'm not a newby to reloading - and I routinely weigh my powder charges but obviously became too complacent. So . . . . . . . .as the title states "Let's be careful out there." It only takes a small lapse in concentration to have things go wrong.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Having shot a lot of USPSA/IPSC in past years I fully understand how easy it would be to make the same error. Sitting down in front of the old 650 and cranking out a bunch of 38 Supercomp rounds then running them thru the chamber gauge was almost auto pilot mode. You're a very lucky man!

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Great reminder! I have done exactly this. Fortunately I learned of my mistake before the end of the reloading session. I finally went the route of making myself a checklist for whenever I change a load. Mistakes are way too easy and costly.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not checking your powder throw at the beginnng of a session is a very bad sign. Very bad. Getting complacent can get you and others a free ride in an ambulance. And if you use a progressive setup you're walking a very thin tightrope.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good Tip Amboy...

Not checking your powder throw at the beginnng of a session is a very bad sign. Very bad. Getting complacent can get you and others a free ride in an ambulance. And if you use a progressive setup you're walking a very thin tightrope.

^^^This is kind of where I'm at.
    NOT really a slam toward Amboy49--mistakes DO happen..

You would think when the OP changed bullet weights (Should have to change OAL??), that the OP would have also checked the powder drop??

As said Sheet happens, but being "Less than Perfect" on the powder charge can be costly...Bill.

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    My reloading session always start with 2 powder charges dumped back in the hopper and weigh the 3rd you never know what could happen with the powder adjustment.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom