• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    I picked up a Marlin in .44 last year, oblivious to the Remington take over. I've put over 400 rounds through it and the action is still rougher than my Kia's transmission (that's rough!). The trigger was terrible at over 15 lbs, but I've since trimmed some springs and did some other dangerous fidagling to smooth it out to 7-8 lbs. It has since taken 2 deer. After this deer season It's going back to Marlin/Remington to work out the action. Otherwise, shoots very well, very accurate to 100 yards.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I would like a lever action rifle in .38/.357. Are the Rossi rifles any good for quality?
    I have one of their rifles in .45 Colt. I could not be happier with it, no problems at all. The cases land about 2 feet out at about 3:30 if you think of the target at 12:00.

Here's a photo of my rifle.
    Rossi-1892-1-Web_zps61197c7e.jpg

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have a Rossi 92 in stainless, .357. I love it...found some info on-line to "slick it up". It made a great project gun and it was a great addition to my collection.

Downside to the '92 is that they are a little harder to add optics to if that is your sort of thing. Irons work fine for me out to 100 yds.

Call me a wuss, but the steel crescent stock starts bothering me after 100 rounds or so. It's nothing that a pad or a towel doesn't take care of.

I bought a 44 cal '94 Marlin (made in 1983) two years ago that I have yet to find the "magic" with. 6 inch groups at 100 is the best I've done. Not very happy with it.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The thing about crescent butt plates is that you do not shoulder them the way you would an AR. The crescent is placed on the upper arm, just beside the actual shoulder joint. I learned this from many years shooting flintlock longrifles like the one below.

Longrifle.jpg

Last edited:

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I owned a Rossi and loved it just never used it and a friend needed it. If ranking my order of what I'd get for lever is Henry, Marlin, Mossberg/Rossi....Henry to me are the cream of this crop.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The thing about crescent butt plates is that you do not shoulder them the way you would an AR. The crescent is placed on the upper arm, just beside the actual shoulder joint. I learned this from many years shooting flintlock longrifles like the one below.

Found that out the hard way with my Rossi. I love the gun, but hate that stock. We need a lever gun show off thread. I got the Rossi with a 24" Octagon barrel in .44 mag, then had AllenM shorten it. Now I have a handy little 18" carbine, but with an octagon barrel. It's back with AllenM now for a new front sight, and a big loop. It will also get a leather cuff for the stock with cartridge loops. The action was very smooth right from the box. Here's my Rossi as she looked when I gave her back to AllenM for work.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have a variety of lever guns, all Marlins except a Henry in 45LC. The Marlin 45-70 will shoot loads that require resetting your fillings if you want, about the same for the 444.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    first gun i ever hunted with was a model 94 winchester .30-30. It is popular deer rifle back in PA. especially in the thick mountain laurel. I LOVE this gun. I tagged my first deer/buck with it and enjoy shooting it the most out of all my guns. you just have to watch when reloading... with its top ejection if you dont tilt the gun you WILL get beaned in the forehead just above your right eye by the brass when its thrown out the top.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Nothing sexier than a good old lever gun. I had a Marlin as a kid my uncle loaned me. I shot a train car load of ground hogs with it. Regretted not buying it at his auction. Everyone should own at least one...so I bought one...brother in law just had to have it. So he does...out lookin once agian..this time think I will try a Winny in 30-30.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have an AR, and am currently building another one. What I don't have is a Lever Action. I have always liked them, and after watching True Grit this weekend, I have realized I want to go ahead and get one.

I don't know that much about them. What are the better brands? What prices are they? And I need help in deciding what caliber I want.
    Caliber.... But if I want to be a cowboy like John Wayne, I may want one like his.

So, school me in Lever Action Rifles.

I did not see anywhere, what the purpose of this rifle would be. If it's just for fun, I would go with the .357/.38 cal. If you planned on hunting deer in Indiana, I would go with the .44mag/44special. My brother and I have taken a lot of deer since the 44 mag rifle became legal in Indiana. I am impressed with the round for less the 100 yard shots. I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I love it. I got lucky and bought it before Remington bought them out. About a year and a half ago I bought the Rossi Braztech 1892 in 44 mag. I had trouble with the loading gate. Again, I got lucky, and it was purchased through Davidson's, so I sent the old in, and they sent me a new one. I like the Marlin better, but I am starting to warm up to the Rossi, the more I play with it. I was so close to buying a Winchester Trapper in 44 mag 20 years ago, but could not justify it, because it was not legal to take deer with at that time. Sure wish I would have had a crystal ball back then.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Another Marlin guy here. I have a stainless 1894 in .44mag. Its a true JM stamped marlin, not a Remlin, and I love the thing! Its my current deer slayer and also a blast to shoot at paper. Reloading for it gets costs way down compared to even WWB which currently runs about $.90/round.

The lever guns are a blast to shoot. Every single person who shoots mine gets that big old **** eating grin after just once.

I have a JM stamped Marlin .44 as well, was able to pick it up this last summer for deer hunting. I love it. I was able to find a JM for the same price as a Remlin. I like them better than Rossi and Winchester because they are side eject and not top eject....the Marlins are drilled an tapped for a scope and the side eject is perfect for mounting optics.

I did not reload .44 before this purchase but I do now. I have to because its so damned fun to shoot. I opted for the .44 over the .45Colt (which I did already reload) just for the versatility of the round - the .45 Colt my son uses for deer hunting - just wanted some variety. Either round is capable, you can put a lot hotter .45 Colt loads then cowboy loads in the 1894. May want to check the compression capability of the Winchester.

If you don't reload go with the 38/357. You can shoot .44 special or .44 mag from the .44 - but you may not realize the cost savings you are looking for..... Or better yet buy a press and get into it.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    If you are thinking Cowboy Action, then I wouldn't mess around and just get the Uberti 1873. I have a Henry Big Boy that i started out with. I works great, but you can't get it to go fast - no parts or gunsmithing advice I was able to find. I bought an 1873 and my times sure improved - it has the better springs and a short stroke kit and is a real bullet hose. I think if you talk to the cowboy guys, most would prefer the 73's after all that seems to be the most popular rifle since if you're really good, you can almost get all 10 cases in the air at the same time. If you aren't going to shoot competition, then you can't go wrong with any of them. But if you are planning to, I'm trying to save you from buying 2 rifles (not that that's a bad thing).

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I'm pretty hot on a marlin guide gun right now. Especially if the DNR drops the case length rule next year. I had not bought one because of that in the past.

I love straight stocks, but I want the big loop lever and the 6 round tube. Seems those are only on models with a pistol grip. Such choices...

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a few lever actions. I have a fondness for Marlins and Winchesters...

main.php

That said Pumas are a pretty good value and I have a few of those too. :)

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I've worked the actions on Marlins, Winchesters, and Henry's, and none of them beat my Cimarron

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have two lever action rifles. One is a Marlin 336 in 30-30, that was my fathers deer rifle. Very nice shooting rifle.
    The other rife is a Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin. Purchased for bear hunting, when I lived in Michigan. Very nice shooting rifle.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Marlin 1894 in .44 mag is a great fun gun. I haven't shot it in years but it will never be sold. I also love my Marlin 1895 SSGG in .45-70. It is a tack driver with my hand loads. My son put 5 rounds into a 1" group at 100 yds off sand bags with just a cheap $35 Chinese red dot. I think I had loaded 405gr lead flat nose. That round could knock down anything from a moose to a grizzly. Both my guns are the "real" Marlin Marlins BTW.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a JM stamped Marlin .44 as well, was able to pick it up this last summer for deer hunting. I love it. I was able to find a JM for the same price as a Remlin. I like them better than Rossi and Winchester because they are side eject and not top eject....the Marlins are drilled an tapped for a scope and the side eject is perfect for mounting optics.

I did not reload .44 before this purchase but I do now. I have to because its so damned fun to shoot. I opted for the .44 over the .45Colt (which I did already reload) just for the versatility of the round - the .45 Colt my son uses for deer hunting - just wanted some variety. Either round is capable, you can put a lot hotter .45 Colt loads then cowboy loads in the 1894. May want to check the compression capability of the Winchester.

If you don't reload go with the 38/357. You can shoot .44 special or .44 mag from the .44 - but you may not realize the cost savings you are looking for..... Or better yet buy a press and get into it.

FWIW, I'm loading Cast Performance 300gr lead flat nose for my 4 .44 mag handguns. I haven't tried them in my Marlin 1894 yet but need to. The nice thing about them is that I've found the sweet spot load and all 4 revolvers are extremely accurate with them. I download to just over 1,000 fps and don't get beat up. And the cool thing is that at that weight and velocity they still hit with twice the energy of a .45ACP 230gr standard velocity round. Thought you might like to try loading them!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    How have I not commented in this thread yet?

I have 3 lever actions now.

.30-30 Winchester(straight out the top...none of this angle stuff)
    .22 Henry(action is like butter(NJ Accent implied).
    .38/.357 Rossi.

I need to slick the rossi up....as someone said above, but it has become my 'go to' plinker rifle. Its all I do with it. Plink. The .22 is fun to plink with when I can find ammo.

The Winchester sits in the safe....I shoot it every couple years. Its a Winchester...so its staying. :)

I equated lever actions vs semi automatics like driving a car. Driving an automatic is OK...but a lever action is like driving a stick shift. Its about interactive shooting.

Next up I think is a Rossi with 45 LC and Octogon barrel and case hardened receiver.

Then some day I"ll get a Uberti '73.

Top Bottom