• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your view on marijuana?

• Total voters

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Saw this on O'Reilly tonight, and it was something that has crossed my mind.
    Just curious as to what everyone else thinks about it. Put aside the fact that people get medical marijuana cards for having a hangnail, and let's use someone with a serious medical condition as an example.

The controversy is employers and drug testing.

If a person chooses to use marijuana in the privacy of their own home, and they do not show up for their duties at work stoned to the bone, do you feel it is unfair for an employer to terminate an employee for having marijuana in their system, even though they might not be high at the time of their drug test, accident, or whatever reason they are tested for?

A person can be tested with the eye/inkpen test to see if their coordination shows impairment at the time of the test. A urine screen will show marijuana for up to 30 days after using it. You could smoke pot on the first of the month, and test positive for it on the first of the next month. The THC is stored in the fatty tissue of the body, and not easily flushed in a short amount of time.

This is currently an issue in Colorado, and Bill and Megan seemed to think the employers would win this argument in the end.

This controversy will also likely affect LTCH holders as well.

While I have always been in support of legalization on marijuana, but is there a way to measure impairment levels?

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    .... is there a way to measure impairment levels?

In a word, YES. Simply give the suspect a Dixie cup, like the ones you used as a child when brushing your teeth, and then allow them sixty seconds to fill the cup with saliva. Then sit back and laugh as the suspect licks the roof of their mouth in the same fashion a dog would to a wad of peanut butter being lodged on the roof of their mouth. :D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't understand why everyone fights the inevitable so much. It's only a matter of time. If it was completely victemless, I would support it 100%, however that's not the case at.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    if its for medical use i think it would be in the category of unfair practice if thats the reason the employee was terminated

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZ4f_Pnk7M]YouTube - Stoned on Sesame Street[/ame]

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    medical marijuana is largely a joke. it does have it niche in AIDS wasting and appetite stimulation in cancer patients, etc. it also has some use in refractory nausea and vomiting, but this use has largely been eclipsed by the setrons.

i dont have a problem with legalizing pot, but call it what it is. the "pharmacies" in places like CA are silly....anyone can get weed, including drug addicts who then sell it to teenagers. then the addicts turn around and buy smack with their profits.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    While I have always been in support of legalization on marijuana, but is there a way to measure impairment levels?
    it looks like you are looking for something equivalent to a breathalyzer test for alcohol.

i dont quite know how to feel about this yet. ive always been against it in the past b/c ive been told to or since its already illegal it must be bad. ive never tried it if you can tell. but if there really is no long term medical effect like other drugs like heroine or something else, then maybe it really can be treated like legal alcohol which of course i do drink in a responsible manner.

if legalized, i would like to see it treeted like alcohol, not like ciggerettes. as mary j can effect your motor skills and should not be used like said while driveing, especially semis, or working or whatever. but just like alcohol, if you have a designated driver or are at home and can sober up in time for work. then it should be ok.

i just suppose the couple things i worry about is long term effects,which i keep being told are none. and the ability to do so responsibly. as in it effects no one but you

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    it looks like you are looking for something equivalent to a breathalyzer test for alcohol.

i dont quite know how to feel about this yet. ive always been against it in the past b/c ive been told to or since its already illegal it must be bad. ive never tried it if you can tell. but if there really is no long term medical effect like other drugs like heroine or something else, then maybe it really can be treated like legal alcohol which of course i do drink in a responsible manner.

if legalized, i would like to see it treeted like alcohol, not like ciggerettes. as mary j can effect your motor skills and should not be used like said while driveing, especially semis, or working or whatever. but just like alcohol, if you have a designated driver or are at home and can sober up in time for work. then it should be ok.

i just suppose the couple things i worry about is long term effects,which i keep being told are none. and the ability to do so responsabley.
    I think you see it in a very fair way. It does not impair you the same way alcohol does, but it does impair you. There are many situations where it would not be prudent to consume marijuana and participate, but the same goes for alcohol.

My argument is, how fair is it to terminate an employee for something they might have done on a weekend or during time they are not working? (Assuming it is "legal".)

If I have cancer, and my doctor says I can use marijuana for treatment, and I don't have a job involving public safety (like driving), and I don't come to work stoned, should they be allowed to terminate my employment if I test positive for a urine screen?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    medical marijuana is largely a joke. it does have it niche in AIDS wasting and appetite stimulation in cancer patients, etc. it also has some use in refractory nausea and vomiting, but this use has largely been eclipsed by the setrons.

i dont have a problem with legalizing pot, but call it what it is. the "pharmacies" in places like CA are silly....anyone can get weed, including drug addicts who then sell it to teenagers. then the addicts turn around and buy smack with their profits.
    You could substitute firearms in place of marijuana in your theory and it would be the same story.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Casual use say one joint smoked on a weekend with a friend or two will be out of the urine in 3-5 days, cronic use say 3 joints a day for a month will have you testing positive for 21-30 days. This is according to Midwest tox a local drug testing center on the poster on the wall when you pee in the cup.

Coke or crack breaks down within 48 hours of ingestion. also on the poster on the wall when you pee in the cup.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    010309medical_marijuana.gif

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    My argument is, how fair is it to terminate an employee for something they might have done on a weekend or during time they are not working? (Assuming it is "legal".)

If you were to get drug tested at work and you had vicodin in your system, would you be terminated? What if you proved it was prescribed to you?

Marijuana and vicodin are both narcotics. Shouldn't they be treated the same.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I drink alcohol and don't smoke weed, but I'll be the first to say that THC would be legal before alcohol is.

Honestly, I think everything should be legal. If you want to ruin your life, at least give your money to our government(less taxes for us) instead of helping fund foreign drug cartels by buying it illegally...Druggies are going to get their fix one way or the other, right?

If you were to get drug tested at work and you had vicodin in your system, would you be terminated? What if you proved it was prescribed to you?

This happens to my Dad constantly. He has a bad back and is prescribed (fill in the pain med of choice). Yes, he provides proof of his prescription and that pretty much solves it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is true.

Not to be a language Nazi, but...

Actually Marijuana isn't a Narcotic, and its not from the opiate family. Maybe considered a controlled substance, or illicit drug. But be careful about using Hollywood as a source. :D

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Not to be a language Nazi, but...

Actually Marijuana isn't a Narcotic, and its not from the opiate family. Maybe considered a controlled substance, or illicit drug. But be careful about using Hollywood as a source. :D
    i dont thing thats being a language nazi. that clears things up. and may help the case.
    what exactly is a narcotic then?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Not much different than alcohol, huh?

Let history tell the story... Pre Prohibition, ETOH was one of the highest crimes. Post Prohibition, to reduce crime... its now related to 90% of vehical related death, and 80% of isolated trauma. Not to mention 100% Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. And all white folks dancing.

Not saying that legalizing pot would make it a record buster, however I remember a bunch of buddies that had no problem smoking and driving in H.S. and college, imagine if it was legalized... only a speculation.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Let history tell the story... Pre Prohibition, ETOH was one of the highest crimes. Post Prohibition, to reduce crime... its now related to 90% of vehical related death, and 80% of isolated trauma. Not to mention 100% Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. And all white folks dancing.

Not saying that legalizing pot would make it a record buster, however I remember a bunch of buddies that had no problem smoking and driving in H.S. and college, imagine if it was legalized... only a speculation.

You are spot on :yesway:

Top Bottom