Let's talk low-power variable optics - which do you like?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Maybe some folks can, but I can't see my hits w. 4x at 100, at least not .22 cal. Not tried w. .30....

-rvb

Your glass may not be up to par for resolving it.

I can't see my own hits with 5.56 at 100 using my leupold VXR 2-7x, but my trijicon TA31 most certainly can resolve those little holes. My cheapie 25-80x spotting scope can't resolve those holes at 100 yards either, magnification is no replacement for glass quality.

I haven't encountered a variable power optic I'm impressed with so far, at least shy of $2k. Leupold's mark 8 cqbss impressed me, but that price tag is just Woah...

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    Leupold VX2 1x4 about 300 bucks, no frills, plain recticle, decent glass. It's been beat up and keeps working. Cons, it's not a true 1x. Another good buy is a Weaver 2.5x about 130.00 and pretty tough.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll agree with many and say the Vortex PST 1-4x. It's a phenomenal piece of glass for the money and worth saving a bit more to purchase (I see them for sale used occasionally under $400). I recently purchased the second one that I've had (bought one when they first came out to test and sold it when I was done) and I'm pleased with it.
    IMG_0984_zps24fa68a9.jpg

I agree that more magnification is appropriate for target/precision work at 100yds and beyond so I have been using my spotter to check my hits (I'm too old and fat to run back and forth to the 100yd line all day).
    IMG_0990_zps65e0edcf.jpg

With a 1MOA center dot and only 4x the type of target you choose to shoot at (if working on getting tight groups) can make all if the difference. I've found a 2MOA white circle surrounded by black or some other color works really well and allows you to drop your center dot into place. I was shooting at 1/2MOA orange dots on these groups and I wish I'd have chosen a better target, I suspect I would have had better results.
    IMG_0993_zps0014e294.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    42769vette would know, he's my go to for Vortex! He is correct since he sold them to me. I tend to differ from a lot of people in how I shoot and most people cannot see through the scopes on my rifle. I've got less than 1/16" clearance between the magnification lever and the receiver rail in this rifle. Since I can't use a one piece mount and get it as low as I need it I had to mount the forward ring onto the hand guard which is not a great option. The piece between the rings and under the scope is a modified factory ACOG mount that I used to reinforce the hand guard and prevent movement/loss of zero.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If anyone can get their cheek that low all I can say is damn

I shoot with my cheek bone on the stock whereas most guys get some meat between the two. I've found that to be the best way for me to gain consistency.

If I get some time later today I'll take some pics to show just how screwed up I am in my technique lol.

ETA for pics:
    IMG_2541_zpsf880357b.jpg

IMG_2544_zps40f1e2e3.jpg

My bolt gun is almost as low

IMG_2547_zps697939fc.jpg

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    After doing more thinking I realized size and weight were a huge factor for me. After being disappointed by my first venture into this low power variable field (Millet DMS) due to it's seemingly huge size and weight for the results it produced I didn't want to go down that road again.

With this in mind I put together a spreadsheet to compare these aspects of the main options in this field.

a1OaM5B.png

Being at least an inch shorter and just over HALF the weight of all the competitors the Leupold Mark AR was my final choice. I ended up with the Mark AR Mod 1 SPR Firedot accompanied by the Leupold Mark 2 IMS mount. This is my first Leupold optic and I am thus far thoroughly impressed by the build quality. I took it to the range to sight it in today and produced some 1 MOA (.5") groups at 50 yards using 62gr FMJ rounds from Federal American Eagle.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Here is the scope on its new host, my 10.5" pistol:

ec26j5X.jpg

Last edited:

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Looks good! I was going to suggest the Leupold VX-R with Pig-Plex Reticle. 1.25 to 4x magnification, but around $500 to $600 with the IMS mount. It looks like you have a good set-up here. I need to check out the Vortex scopes reading everyone's comments above.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can see my .223 hits using 4x at 100 yards with a Shoot N See target but not standard paper.

I thought about this the other day while I was shooting my 9mm at 25 yds.... I could only just barely see the hits if I squinted just right. Even then I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Since 100yds at 4x is basically the same as looking at a 25yd target, there is no way I'm seeing .22 holes, no matter how clear the glass....

maybe some folks can, but not my eyes....

-rvb

Top Bottom