• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    I always see classified ads with number of rounds fired listed, or recommendations to replace X part after Y rounds, but how many of you guys honestly know your round count? Do you carry notebooks with you to do the math?

I don't know the count in any of my firearms. I just shoot, clean, enjoy and repeat. Am I missing the big picture here?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    used is used? whether it was shot once or 5 thousand times, the guy who cleans / shoots it determines how good it's going to look.

hookeye: :thumbsup:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    its not about looks, its about functionality. a gun that has no finish left due to holster wear could have never been fired. certain parts do need replacing over the life of a firearm. the quality of life is determined by round count.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    its not about looks, its about functionality. a gun that has no finish left due to holster wear could have never been fired. certain parts do need replacing over the life of a firearm. the quality of life is determined by round count.
    you have a valid point. i was more pointing towards heavily copper coated lands, gunky internals, and the use or lack-there-of of proper firearm care.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I always see classified ads with number of rounds fired listed, or recommendations to replace X part after Y rounds, but how many of you guys honestly know your round count? Do you carry notebooks with you to do the math?

I don't know the count in any of my firearms. I just shoot, clean, enjoy and repeat. Am I missing the big picture here?

I do carry a pocket notebook with me to the range and I do keep track. Once I get home I transfer my data to a spreadsheet where I keep a total of all of my firearms, how many rounds I've fired through them, what type of ammunition I used, malfunctions, and parts breakages.

and as a result of my OCD, yes I can tell you exactly how many rounds I've fired through all of my guns. (except the used ones which irritates me to no end)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I started keeping round count for any new firearm I buy. It's more of a visual thing for me. Lets say, I read that people reccomend to replace the guide rod spring at X amount of rounds on gun A. I can look and see how many rounds I have fired. I also keep track of any malfunctions.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I keep track for the first 500 or so rounds for a firearm. Those or generally also the ones I would be selling. (Why sell something I shoot?) But my estimate is generally within 10%. I see round count past the hundreds more of an approximate use of the firearm.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I know about how many round I have through firearms that I dont shoot much. Those are usually the ones I sell or trade for something that I think I will shoot more. I see no need to keep track beyond that.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I like to keep a ball park figure of round counts. All things mechanical fail at some point. It can be useful to know when you might have to do some preventative maintenance. Kind of like making sure to change the oil in your ride and checking other vitals at regular intervals.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I know someone that does this, knows how many rounds each gun has had put through it and FTF's and all the good stuff. Me? NOPE, don't care, just that the gun works when I need it to.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Rough idea on round count. Malfunctions are another story. Will almost go to the end of the world to figure those out.
    This makes sense, I guess I've been blessed in that most of my guns have never given me an issue. The only exception being my SKS has a tendency to light strike the primers but I think the bolt/firing pin needs to be broken down and cleaned better.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I remember how many mags I fire and write it down on a wall hanging calendar when I get home. My first and only gun so far and I do it out of curiosity.

Top Bottom