• Do you let other people shoot your reloads

• Total voters

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While not shocked by how many say they do let others shoot their loads thru their own gun, but not the other way around, I am shocked by what appears to be the reasoning.

While I already said I allow it both ways, there are a few examples where I would require them to be ran thru my gun only. That would only happen if it were to be a load pushing the limit and only had proven to be safe in my gun. Now days, I very seldom would be found with loads as such at the range anyhow. Any more, I usually only have target loads in which I would feel very comfortable with anyhow.

Last thing that would come to my mind if I saw someones weapon fly apart on the firing line while shooting my loads would be replacing a $500.00 Glock. Actually, if the shooter retained all fingers and both eyes, I would be happy to only have to replace the gun.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    yep, I don't load things hot, and my 35 short has been shot by more people than I care to think about (ok only about 10).

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While not shocked by how many say they do let others shoot their loads thru their own gun, but not the other way around, I am shocked by what appears to be the reasoning.

Last thing that would come to my mind if I saw someones weapon fly apart on the firing line while shooting my loads would be replacing a $500.00 Glock. Actually, if the shooter retained all fingers and both eyes, I would be happy to only have to replace the gun.

You may possibly be reading too far into it.:dunno: I for one tend to load pretty hot, mostly in .44 mag. I've done the load workup in my firearm looking for pressure signs and accuracy. I know what it does in mine. Since many of my rounds are near max others shooting them out of their firearm is a no go. Dropping max or near max loads into someone elses gun is not going to happen. Do I think anything bad would happen, no, but I'm not taking any chances. Does that mean I'm not confident in my reloading? I tend to think I'm just a little anal about such things. :) As far as buying someone else a new gun, obviously, I think in a catostrophic failure of firearm the first concern would be the shooter, the firearm secondary (doubt you'll get any arguments.) Plinking rounds fall under a different category of rules for me I guess, but the situation of somebody needing my plinking rounds to shoot out of their gun just doesn't ever really happen to me.:yesway:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You may possibly be reading too far into it.:dunno: I for one tend to load pretty hot, mostly in .44 mag. I've done the load workup in my firearm looking for pressure signs and accuracy. I know what it does in mine. Since many of my rounds are near max others shooting them out of their firearm is a no go. Dropping max or near max loads into someone elses gun is not going to happen. Do I think anything bad would happen, no, but I'm not taking any chances. Does that mean I'm not confident in my reloading? I tend to think I'm just a little anal about such things. :) As far as buying someone else a new gun, obviously, I think in a catostrophic failure of firearm the first concern would be the shooter, the firearm secondary (doubt you'll get any arguments.) Plinking rounds fall under a different category of rules for me I guess, but the situation of somebody needing my plinking rounds to shoot out of their gun just doesn't ever really happen to me.:yesway:

Reading too far into it ??

The reasoning you stated is exactly what I stated I would of expected to be the the majority view, but it hasn't been mentioned as often. What you stated are my thoughts also. In case of a catostrophic failure, it appears we both agree the well being of the gun would only be secondary.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do not reaload yet, maybe in the future I will.
    But I would only let people shoot my reloads if I im really good at it, after I have years of experience in reloading.
    Same way I would trust somebody's reloads if they started reloading last week.
    I guess it depends on how much your trust yourself if you reload or how much you trust someone else if you shoot their reloads.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reading too far into it ??

The reasoning you stated is exactly what I stated I would of expected to be the the majority view, but it hasn't been mentioned as often. What you stated are my thoughts also. In case of a catostrophic failure, it appears we both agree the well being of the gun would only be secondary.

Gotcha:yesway:. But I was one that stated the buying the gun as a reason for not letting others shoot my reloads in their guns. I thought if I expounded on my position you would see we are really in complete agreement.:D

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I reload for myself, my wife, and my minor son (12). When working loads up for my 44 mag, some (most) of the loads tend to run on the high end of the load charts. With my wife's 44, I tend to run very mild loads, somewhere between a 44 Special and a Magnum. My sons 44 rifle shoots factory UMC as good or better than any combination I have tried so far, so his rifle usually supplies brass for the other two pistols. Any of the other handgun calibers I load usually run lighter than factory target ammo, and anyone who is comfortable with my reloads has always been welcome to shoot them. My rifle loads usually are only shot by myself. The only exception to that would be when I work up a load for my dad when he doesnt have the time to spend at the reload bench.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I let others shoot my reloads, they are all well tested. I never push the limits with my loads. I only shoot others reloads if I know their expierence and trust them. If I don't know where the reloads came from, I wouldn't shoot them. If I didn't think they were safe enough for someone besides me to shoot, I wouldn't shoot them either.

Yerbaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I, too, let others (but only friends) shoot my reloads and have supplied them with reloads at their request. Strangers? No. . . and a friend of a friend is a stranger. We all take many risks every day. Someone takes a risk shooting my reloads (or any factory ammo) and I take a risk by letting them. All of my friends that shoot my reloads would view an accident as an accident. . . I hope!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I really don't see what you guys think the big deal is.

We are talking about (2) different things here. Many are saying they will let others shoot their reloads. Some prefer it being thru their own guns... Some don't have a preference. It all comes down to knowing the person well enough to know what care they took when loading.

What you are talking about is what would scare many, If not most. if you are buying and shooting reloads from a complete stranger, what would your recourse be if something goes wrong ? How can you be confident they took care and knew what they were doing ?

Now, if you were refering to remanufactured ammo or reloads from a reputable, licensed dealer, then I would not worry.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    We are talking about (2) different things here. Many are saying they will let others shoot their reloads. Some prefer it being thru their own guns... Some don't have a preference. It all comes down to knowing the person well enough to know what care they took when loading.

What you are talking about is what would scare many, If not most. if you are buying and shooting reloads from a complete stranger, what would your recourse be if something goes wrong ? How can you be confident they took care and knew what they were doing ?

Now, if you were refering to remanufactured ammo or reloads from a reputable, licensed dealer, then I would not worry.

You guys are pretty chicken.. I see people buying and selling reloads at gun shows all the time.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I buy remanufactured and reloads from licensed manufactures all the time too at the show. I will not buy from an questionable individual. I probably would if the price was so good that it would pay to salvage the components.

I have only seen (2) kabooms in my life, but both times it involved ammo from a gunshow of unknown origin.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys are pretty chicken.. I see people buying and selling reloads at gun shows all the time.

Curious, do you reload? I say curious because I don't know too many people who do that share your carefree attitude. You do your thing! I was once told by a great and emminant sage..."The people who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it." I've bought reloads before, but it was from someone I knew well and trusted, and they were licensed.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You guys are pretty chicken..

Well...given that I already admitted that for myself, I'll clarify that I'm not talking about Black Hills "remanufactured ammunition" and such. I'm talking about Bubba's reloads from his basement when I don't know if he didn't pay attention and double charged (or FAILED to charge) some rounds. And since you can't really tell by shaking one next to your ear and listening for the powder...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would never let someone fire my reloads until after I had tested some batches first. It would also have to be someone I know pretty well. I will be giving some reloads to a good friend of mine, only after I test them first and am myself satisfied.

Top Bottom