Leupold FX-II 2.5x28 IER Scout Broken reticle wire twice....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckusnierek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Elkhart
    A few weeks ago I got a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
    I ordered a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28 IER scout for it from Optics Planet. I mounted it with Warne Maxim steel rings.
    I honestly dont remember spending much tome looking down the scope before mounting. Well after mounting I saw the horizontal reticle wire was broke just right of the vertical wire.
    Called Optics Planet CS and started the return. 2 weeks later I had a new one.
    Mounted it last week and all looked good.
    Put it in the safe for about two weeks.
    Got to the range today and it was broke again.

There is a warning in the packaging the says "To prevent damage to the reticle rings must be mounted 3/4" from the eye/objective bell"
    I did not see this the first time, it was under the manual and I did not see it till I was packing it up to send back the first time.
    If its that important there should be a bright orange sticker on the scope....

When I mounted the second scope I did make sure it was 3/4" from the bells. it was actually centered between the bells and turrets.

I have mounted dozens of scopes and never seen anything like this.

Anyone else heard of or seen this???

Not gonna bother optics planet this time tomorrow I'm calling Leupold!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good luck. Leupold lost me as a customer years ago, unfortunately there aren't a lot of quality options for scout scopes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My suggestion would be to go ahead and set up a return with Optics Planet, but this time, explain what happened to them so that they can see if other folks have had this problem with the same model scope.
    Also, give Leupold a call so that they can check into it.
    I have to say that it's surprising hearing about a modern scope with an actual wire reticle instead of the far more common etched glass type of reticle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have heard of this with wire reticles. There are a lot more wire reticles in the industry than etched because wire reticles are cheaper to produce. Some scope companies save money in the manufacturing process by thinning the tube. This makes ring torque and location more important because the stress it puts on the tube.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have heard of this with wire reticles. There are a lot more wire reticles in the industry than etched because wire reticles are cheaper to produce. Some scope companies save money in the manufacturing process by thinning the tube. This makes ring torque and location more important because the stress it puts on the tube.

Vortex would do well to enter the scout scope market with a quality offering. It seems to me there is a big void they could fill.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vortex would do well to enter the scout scope market with a quality offering. It seems to me there is a big void they could fill.

They have Scout scopes, I just dont carry them because unless your talking about a top load rifle (like the garand) I don't think Scout scopes ever make sense. This is the new version of the Vortex scout, they started making them about 7 years ago. Scout scopes are a huge void in the market, but they are a void because once someone gets on, its very rare they like it, and want another (rare not impossible). Basically its a void for good reason, and yes I know the great Cooper would disagree.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope V-Plex

Longer eye relief= less FOV. This is mathmatical fact.
    Less FOV=slower acquisition.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Find a different scope with an etched reticle, and be done with broken wires forever.

Also: a 30mm maintube is better in almost every way.

-Nate

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They have Scout scopes, I just dont carry them because unless your talking about a top load rifle (like the garand) I don't think Scout scopes ever make sense. This is the new version of the Vortex scout, they started making them about 7 years ago. Scout scopes are a huge void in the market, but they are a void because once someone gets on, its very rare they like it, and want another (rare not impossible). Basically its a void for good reason, and yes I know the great Cooper would disagree.

Well I'll be darned, I didn't know they made one but an offering from the Crossfire line isn't likely to impress many.

The lower FOV = slower acquisition issue can be largely overcome with training and the proper technique.

I don't think scout scopes offer any advantages over standard scopes but I have shot a few, owned one and I like them for something a little different.

Last edited:

ckusnierek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Elkhart

shooting with both eyes open take the FOV limitations/acquisition time out of the equation.
    If they made one in a Viper or Diamondback I might be interested....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well I'll be darned, I didn't know they made one but an offering from the Crossfire line isn't likely to impress many.

The lower FOV = slower acquisition issue can be largely overcome with training and the proper technique.

I don't think scout scopes offer any advantages over standard scopes but I have shot a few, owned one and I like them for something a little different.

To keep the FOV wider, the mag has to be less. 1.5-2.5X proly pretty good.

Top Bottom