• ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Anyone know anything about these?

Uberti 1873 Rifle and 1873 Carbine

I am looking for a higher end / nicer / more expensive ride than a Rossi.

1873_sporting_rifle_lg.jpg

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for so many responses.

I don't have any plans to hunt really, especially not in the short term but its a consideration.

22lr makes the most sense for me, because I mostly want to plink, but I have a few 22 rifles, so I'd kind of like to move into something bigger.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks again..

Well the next caliber up would be a 38/357. I have a Marlin 1894c. Shooting 38s is great for plinking. 357, as mentioned before, can double as HD and hunting.

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    I have a Marlin 1894C (38/.357). It was made right before Remington took over making the Marlin Leveractions. I've heard bad stuff about the newer Remington made marlins but the ones before they took over are Good to go. I love mine, it is a gun I will never part with. It will be passed down to my son. It shoots great, very accurate, and its just fun to shoot. Never had a Winchester but have shot a Henry .22lr and was impressed. If I was to buy another lever action it would be a new Henry or a Used Marlin, probably another 1894.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have a Rossi 1892 in .44-40 that can hit a 8" pie plate at 100 yds all day with the factory iron sights. Commercial ammo in that caliber is expensive, so I load up my own with full cases of FFg blackpowder. FIRE & SMOKE! What a hoot! For the $, I'd recommend a '92 over the other models. You might want to wander over to the Cowboy Action Shooting forums to post your questions there as well.

Good huntin'!

ol' poke.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    All lever guns are not made the same...

You have the Winchester type lever guns that take rounded bullets. The lever is under the action and the locking weaker then other actions.

Then you have the Savage type lever guns with a box magazine and a different style bolt. There are Savage 99s in modern calibers using spitzer bullets. Including 308 and 243. The Savage lever system is the most modern. The lever is behind the action and drives a bolt/block back and forth. Some of the last ones made have detachable magazines.

The odd one out is the 1895 Winchester. It's really a third type that John Browning worked on to have a box magazine and better locking lugs for high powered cartridges. Most of the 1895 Winchester guns are expensive collectibles. Browning added extra locking for the pressures.

Here is a Savage action that was made for the Canadian army.
    254_1.JPG

Now that is class!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have a 1975 Glenfield 30A which is essentially a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. Great rifle! Picked it up at a auction last year for $250. I have seen 3 or 4 go for 250-300 range since then at auction. Id grab one if I were you! Downside is you cant hunt deer with it in Indiana.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a 1975 Glenfield 30A which is essentially a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. Great rifle! Picked it up at a auction last year for $250. I have seen 3 or 4 go for 250-300 range since then at auction. Id grab one if I were you! Downside is you cant hunt deer with it in Indiana.

Hmmm. I had a Glenfield 30A stolen out of my trunk a few years ago. Got the serial number? :D

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    I am partial to the Marlin 336. Great gun, killed 3 deer with my Marlin in a modified 35 Remington this year. What most people don't realize is Marlin was building guns before Winchester was in business.:rockwoot:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are a couple of lever guns not mentioned........

Not cheap but looks way cool....Big Horn Armory .500 S&W
    photo.php

And if wanting mag fed and of modern cartridge, Browning BLR (ugly as sin IMHO)
    BLR-laminate-SS.jpg

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Any comments on the Rossi's particularly with the stainless barrels?

I hope they are good because I have one on the way. I wanted another Marlin pre-remminton and could not find one at a decent price. I shot a friends blue rossi 357 and seemed nice. It was brand new so it was hard to get it out of his hand to shoot it.:):

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Anyone know anything about these?

Uberti 1873 Rifle and 1873 Carbine

I am looking for a higher end / nicer / more expensive ride than a Rossi.

1873_sporting_rifle_lg.jpg

I have one in .44WCF (44-40) and could not be happier. It was purchased for CAS matches and I shoot compressed BP loads.

If you just want something for the range and do not plan on heavy loads, one of these would be a great option. The .44WCF with full power BP loads will do well as a hunting rifle.

If you go with .38SPCL/.357 MAG or .44SPCL/.44MAG and want to take full advantage of the power offered by the magnum rounds, you would be better off with a Marlin or a Winchester '92 or one of the clones. The Rossi '92 clone is probably the least expensive and most widely available while the Puma (currently made by Chiappa, formerly made by Rossi) is a more faithful clone of the Winchester and is almost double the cost of the Rossi.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you can find older Winchester rifles they are great! I have two 30-30's, a 375H&H and a 45colt. I also have a puma 357 that I used to kill a doe at 100 yards last fri. I love Lever guns
    You have a .375 H&H lever gun? Are you sure that's not .375 Winchester?

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    +1 on the Henry. Have one in .22 and in .45LC. I'll take them any day over my Winchester Buffalo Bill 30-30.

Smoothest action ever.

Top Bottom