• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Needing suggestions on a new lever action .44 for my dad. He currently has an older Marlin JM stamp that is a great gun but having some issues with loading. I'd like to help get him a new one because I will inherit them in the long run. Which brand is the best right now? Any brands to avoid? Looking at a traditional wood/blued look on this one. It will only be used as a truck gun and deer rifle for about 10 days out of the year.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If he has issues with loading, one of the Henry rifles with the tube magazine might be the ticket. They also have them with both the traditional style loading gate and the slot loading tube.

rifles.PNG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Get him one that the magazine will hold like 8 or 9, then just have him load 6 or so at a time so the spring isn't under so much tension. My Chiappa 1892 Alaskan takedown is supposed to hold 8, and I can actually get 9 in the tube, but it's not easy to get that last one in there. It will feed them all reliably once loaded, but even at the regular 8, you can feel the spring tension increase as the rounds pile up. Especially the last couple. If he loads less, it's easier, and most times you don't really need that many...

Sometimes it's not even the mag spring, but the loading gate spring that causes problems. This can be lightened up by a gunsmith, and there are youtube videos on it I'm sure.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    What kid of loading issues is he having? IMO you cant do much better than the Marlin, so if it's some kind of mechanical issue with the gun, I'd opt to fix that over replacing it. If it's a personal difficulty, like arthritis or something, the Henry tube load system would be a viable option.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    All issues are mechanical only. I plan on trying to work on it when time allows. The Marlin sometimes jams when the lever is cycled.
    Is he running the lever hard and fast? Mine will hang up if you you try to run is slow. Also, make sure it’s straight up and down. Mine doesn’t like to be ran sideways.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The only real downside to the Henry rifles is the weight. There is a real noticeable difference between my Marlin and Henry, plus the weight on the Henry is farther forward throwing off the balance a little IMO. Beyond that, I like them both.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    JM feed tubes in the 1894 can have rough edges which can make it hard to get cartridges into the magazine. Many years ago I pulled my mag tube and found this to be the case. A quick chamfer with a large countersink I had fixed the problem forever.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Some sites to help with the Marlin

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    All issues are mechanical only. I plan on trying to work on it when time allows. The Marlin sometimes jams when the lever is cycled.

I've had two issues with my marlins...one mechanical, and one ammo related.

My .357 was experiencing "marlin jam"...it would try to dump two shells out of the magazine at the same time onto the lifter, resulting in one being stuck half in and half out of the mag, blocking the lifter. This was a huge pain to clear. It turns out, there was a groove worn in the lifter where it bottoms out against the lever, allowing it to drop down too far and not block the second shell from exiting the magazine. I replaced the lifter and radiused the edge of the lever a tiny bit so it wasn't contacting the lifter with such a sharp edge. It now runs 100% (I saved the old part just in case I ever need a spare I can have somebody tig weld it up and file it back into spec).

Neither gun likes semi-wadcutter bullets, but the .45 is the worst of the two. The cartridge will bounce up and the shoulder of the SWC bullet will hang on the top of the chamber when I run the lever hard (works fine if I run it slow). I tried chamfering the chamber mouth just a bit to see if that would resolve it, but got to the point where I didn't want to go any further for fear of creating an unsupported chamber. The issue still exists. Ultimately, I just started loading round-nose-flat-point bullets instead of the semi-wadcutters, and the rounded profile mates up well with the edge of the chamber and feeds perfectly, no matter how fast I run the lever.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I have the gun stripped down right now looking at the carrier and where I can do some polishing to potentially smooth it up. A new Henry might be in the works as well because he loves the tube fed idea.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    First photo is off my .357 marlin and the second would be from my dads .44 marlin. Is this piece missing from the .44 and if so can it be purchased? I’m having a heck of a time finding anything on a schematic but from the few pictures found online it looks like it is missing. This would help guide the casing into the chamber, essentially eliminating the issues we are having.

D2D5BE59-C280-4D6C-8620-5BB595E1A773.jpeg

Attachments

• A2887958-D2A2-4B2F-B1DC-2B3CFDBA607D.jpeg
      A2887958-D2A2-4B2F-B1DC-2B3CFDBA607D.jpeg
      124.6 KB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom