• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do love some lever action.
    I have a couple of Henrys, a .22lr and a .22WMR.
    Then there's the Mossberg's, 2 of those, both in .30-30. One is the new 464 and the other is a circa 1980's model 479RR (Roy Rogers Signature Series).
    I also have one Marlin, 1894 in .44mag, and two Rossi model 1892's. One in .38spl/.357mag, the other in .454 Casull.

I can't say I have a favorite, though the model 479RR has never been shot, so I really can't throw that into the mix.
    The two Henry's are both the stuff squirrels nightmares are made of.
    The Marlin 1892 has taken it's fair share of whitetail, and the Rossi .454 Casull is a close second.
    The .357 Rossi has not been deer hunting, only because I have more effective choices.

I also have a couple of single-shot .22lr's that I really don't count as lever actions even though they have a lever.
    One is a Ted Williams signature single-shot .22lr lever-action and the other is a falling block Winchester model 1885 "Low-Wall" in .22lr.

Every last one are a hoot to shoot, and more than accurate enough for a shtf scenario.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I love my lever guns. Marlin 1895 and an old Westernfield in 30-30. I had a Henry in 22, don't miss it at all. Thinking about a 35 Remington for next deer season. It will be another Marlin, I prefer the side loading gate as well.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I really wish Marlin didn't totally screw up the twist on my 1894. The only gun I've put a 300 grain .44 bullet in a target sideways are 100 yards. Nothing stabilizes right over 240 grains loaded stiff. Crazy stupid slow twist.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Both of my lever guns are Marlins.
    The .22 is a 39A, so that requires pulling the follower tube all the way out or nearly all the way out and somewhat awkwardly dropping the rounds in the loading port and relying on gravity to keep them in place.
    From what I understand, Marlin and a few other companies decades ago discarded loading gates on their .22 rifles because it wasn't feasible with such small cartridges.
    My .45 Colt is an 1894, with a loading gate of course, and it's much easier to load, although it still requires a good strong thumb around the seventh of the ten rounds that the mag holds.
    Of course, if you invest the extra $$$ for the new Long Ranger, you'll have box magazines that will make reloads much quicker and easier still.
    For what it's worth, with the introduction of Hornady's superb FTX bullet for reloading and their LeverRevolution ammo that uses the same bullet, you're no longer necessarily restricted to blunt nose bullets in tubular magazine lever actions if you use those bullets/ammo.
    The FTX bullets will extend your range about 30% beyond what you'd ordinarily get with flat point or round nose bullets.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Both of my lever guns are Marlins.
    The .22 is a 39A, so that requires pulling the follower tube all the way out or nearly all the way out and somewhat awkwardly dropping the rounds in the loading port and relying on gravity to keep them in place.
    From what I understand, Marlin and a few other companies decades ago discarded loading gates on their .22 rifles because it wasn't feasible with such small cartridges.
    My .45 Colt is an 1894, with a loading gate of course, and it's much easier to load, although it still requires a good strong thumb around the seventh of the ten rounds that the mag holds.
    Of course, if you invest the extra $$$ for the new Long Ranger, you'll have box magazines that will make reloads much quicker and easier still.
    For what it's worth, with the introduction of Hornady's superb FTX bullet for reloading and their LeverRevolution ammo that uses the same bullet, you're no longer necessarily restricted to blunt nose bullets in tubular magazine lever actions if you use those bullets/ammo.
    The FTX bullets will extend your range about 30% beyond what you'd ordinarily get with flat point or round nose bullets.

This right here. I am sold on the FTX bullets. It all I shoot in my levers.

The Marlin loading gate is faster, no doubt. But as others have mentioned that they do, I to seldom load from the mag.

I went out looking for a Marlin and came home with the Henry. A few years back Marlin was turning out some crappy actions. I looked at 5 Marlin's and 2 Henry's. Marlin's receiver to stock fit looks like that were fit with a pocket knife. All of the actions were gritty and tight. 2 had canted front sights.

The JM marked (Best known versions) used Marlin's were selling for what I could buy a new Henry for. So at the time buying a henry was a no brainer.

From what I here Marlin has upped there game now. And I do want a 1895 Cowboy 45-70. So i will be revisiting Marlin's soon enough. I have two Henry's I love. Brass Bigboy 44mag and a original version 45-70. Zero complaints with either.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well not tacticool, but maybe Steampunk Cool?

rossi1.jpg

8+1mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2013
    Laconia
    I love my lever guns. Marlin 1895 and an old Westernfield in 30-30. I had a Henry in 22, don't miss it at all. Thinking about a 35 Remington for next deer season. It will be another Marlin, I prefer the side loading gate as well.
    jstory: I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and trim brass for Indiana Deer,love it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't think there is anything wrong going either way... I have two marlin lever actions. One is a tube fed 22, and the other is a side gate 45-70. Where it matters to me is if I intend to suppress it. You don't want to have to remove the can every time you wish to load then gun; but I have also seen guys run a 3 lug for that reason.
    I want a side loading 357 Marlin really bad for that reason! I'd love to have one to run some 38 subs through. I'd be stupid quiet!

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    Took me a year to find a marlin 41 mag. Its worth the wait . Try finding a marlin 375 mag. But the most fun are the 444 marlin and 35 Remington . Just fun to shoot.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Ordering a Henry BB 41 Mag this month. The Marlin 1894 41 Mags are stupidly priced and few and far between.

I prefer loading gate, but tube will have to do.

I saw a NIB .41 mag Marlin recently on Gunbroker with a REDUCED asking price of $2300. Not surprisingly it didn't have any bidders. Another used one had been bid up to $930 on a penny auction. I'm glad I got mine new in 2006 for $450!

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    If you are in a situation where you need to quickly load and disperse a round, the Henry is the fastest option. You just open the action, drop in the round, close and shoot. As mentioned above, this isn't a tactical rifle, so that isn't usually the case. The Henry is also the safest to unload, because you aren't using the action to do so.

I will say the warranty with Henry is the best I've ever seen. My 45-70 slipped out of the case from my truck and hit the ground from three feet, right on the tip of the barrel. I called them and told them exactly what happened and that it was my fault. I wanted to see how much it would cost to check it out and possibly repair. The guy sent me a shipping label and told me to just get it to them. I decided to check with them a week later, but before I could, I received an email from UPS that I had a delivery that must be signed for. It was my rifle and they replaced everything except the receiver! And they said it was covered under the warranty! So, I'm a real Henry fan even though I own a Marlin and Winchester.

I have met Anthony at the NRA exhibit hall. A real gentleman, a man passionate about the Henry guns, the NRA and shooting in general. It is nice to see the folks at Henry going above and beyond to provide customer service after the sale.

Top Bottom