• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    My Dad Recently let me borrow two of his guns since I moved out to the country and i need someone to look one of them over to make sure it's safe to shoot. It's a Winchester Model 94, the last time anything was done to it was a new stock probably done in the 80's. Also i got a remington model 511 and both guns need to be re-blued. I'm not to worried about the blueing just yet but the once over on the model 94 is a must before i even attempt to shoot it. Any help will help.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Too bad you are not near Ft Wayne. I would be glad to check out your 94 for you. Hopefully the gunsmith list will get you someone near you.

In reality, this is what need to be checked.

1. An unubstructed bore that is not pitted or rusty.
    2. That the hammer does not fall when at the half cock or full cock by thumb pressure.
    3. That the trigger does not release the hammer until the loop is depressed.
    4. Test fire to make sure that the tube is not dented and that rounds are loaded and feed freely in operation.

Not much else to check with any Winchester 94. Headspace is not an issue since they headspace on the rim.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    well that helps a lot thanks! I'm not new to guns, but lever actions yes. I could probally check it out myself if i knew how to disassemble it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can't think of a single reason to take it apart before firing it. The steps I posted do not require disassembly.

If you feel the need to disassemble, it is very easy and is posted on youtube.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I drive a charter bus. I am bringing the IPFW Womens basketball team to IU in Bloomington this Sunday for a couple of days for games. Perhaps we could meet sometime and I could look at your rifle?

PM me if you are interested. I don't know at this point where we will be staying...

Top Bottom