• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    I've lived in a liberal state the past 7 years and I wanted to show those who may not know, how the government takes away your rights without anyone noticing. Well it all starts off with registration. I Hawaii the first push was to require people to register every single gun that they buy. Which means driving down to the police department and waiting up to 4 hours to do so. Next they required annual "permits to aquire". These permits are good for one year and are only good for rifles and black powder guns. In order to get this permit you must go to the police dept and wait for 1 to 4 hours, wait 14 days for the permit to come in, and then go to the police dept and wait 1 to 4 hours to pick up the permit. Then when you buy a gun you must bring it in to register the gun again waiting 1 to 4 hours. You can see how one is deterred from buying any guns. Handguns are even worse but I will leave that out for everyone's sake. I will say that Hawaii is considered a shall issue state for concealed carry. And let me tell you that is BS. There has been only 4 granted permits in the state in this decade. You go through the lines just to be denied for no apparent reason. So why even own a gun if you have to use all your vacation just to register them and you can't even carry them. That is how our freedoms are taken away so do not budge an inch on registration, it all starts there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks for your posted experience! I would be interested in seeing what the process is for handgun, as well as how HI can be "shall issue" but deny for no apparent reason. Please elaborate, and of course, :welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Blessings,
    Bill

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    The aquisition of a handgun is similar to a rifle however with a few differences. The rifle permit is an ongoing permit to aquire throughout the year that allows you to buy up to 5 long guns before needing another permit. You need to renew after 1 year or after 5 guns, whichever comes first. Now the handgun process is different because it requires that you have taken a 3 day, state run, hunters education class in order to apply. This is a free class, but as with anything free there is a long waiting list. We're talking 3 months of a waiting list. Once you get your hunters ed card, you then are eligible to buy a handgun. So you go to the store and purchase a handgun, but the store keeps the gun in the vault. The store gives you a paper with the gun info to take into the police department in which you apply for a handgun permit to aquire. Keep in mind every trip to the police department is at least 1 to 4 hours not counting traffic. In 14 days if you pass the rigorous background and health check then you can pick up your paperwork at the police department, (yes that's 1-4 more hours). Then you are allowed to take the permit to the store to pick up the gun you've owned for weeks. Once again back to the police department with the handgun to get it registered and inspected by the police. And by the way each new handgun requires it's own permit and if you fail to pick up the permit within 3 days the process starts all over. Most people avoid handguns altogether because it's such a hassle and you can't carry the gun with you anyway.

As far as the concealed carry and shall issue goes, well that's complicated. A state can pass an unconstitutional law and it is enacted until the court says otherwise. So HI has been a may issue state that basically did not offer permits until the court said that was not constitutional. Well then the state recently became shall issue but have continued to decline all but a handful of applicants (mostly X police) that must be approved by the governor himself. There is a new law on the agenda that requires the police dept to give a definative reason why someone is declined. But I really think that law passing is far fetched in the HI legislature. It seems that HI has avoided unconstitutional actions simply by changing words but altering no actions. Hope that doesn't come off as complicated as it really is

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I appreciate your sharing of information. I haven't lived in HI, but have worked there off and on for the last 20 years - a week or two at a time - and have bow hunted the Pali on several occasions. Bow hunting is pretty easy in the islands, but acquiring firearms is a huge pain. HI has never reciprocated so I've never carried there.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    This is why we can't just retreat from Such States - it just spreads from each loss. Good Info!

Just looking - HI is listed (at least on the interwebz) as "May Issue" - perhaps not updated? :dunno:

To the OP - Welcome to INGO (seems like you're likely new here) ... and Welcome to "AMERICA" (since it says not in HI in your profile info shown).
    ... some cities and states barely seem to really be part of the republic anymore

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    It's possible that the may issue listing is not updated, we are in transition just recently but nothing has changed. For all reasonable purposes we are a won't issue state. And HI does not share reciprocity with any state that I'm aware of. It's honestly so complicated legally that I don't completely understand it. It is great to know I'll be back in a free state here shortly.

Bow hunting is actually really nice in HI for goats, although no one can own a crossbow legally. But I prefer a compound anyway as most people do. I enjoy the challege of it.
    I'm curious if anyone here is from california or NY, I'd be interested to know if it's worse than HI.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've lived in a liberal state the past 7 years and I wanted to show those who may not know, how the government takes away your rights without anyone noticing. Well it all starts off with registration. I Hawaii the first push was to require people to register every single gun that they buy. Which means driving down to the police department and waiting up to 4 hours to do so. Next they required annual "permits to aquire". These permits are good for one year and are only good for rifles and black powder guns. In order to get this permit you must go to the police dept and wait for 1 to 4 hours, wait 14 days for the permit to come in, and then go to the police dept and wait 1 to 4 hours to pick up the permit. Then when you buy a gun you must bring it in to register the gun again waiting 1 to 4 hours. You can see how one is deterred from buying any guns. Handguns are even worse but I will leave that out for everyone's sake. I will say that Hawaii is considered a shall issue state for concealed carry. And let me tell you that is BS. There has been only 4 granted permits in the state in this decade. You go through the lines just to be denied for no apparent reason. So why even own a gun if you have to use all your vacation just to register them and you can't even carry them. That is how our freedoms are taken away so do not budge an inch on registration, it all starts there.

Excellent post! :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    It's possible that the may issue listing is not updated, we are in transition just recently but nothing has changed. For all reasonable purposes we are a won't issue state. And HI does not share reciprocity with any state that I'm aware of. It's honestly so complicated legally that I don't completely understand it. It is great to know I'll be back in a free state here shortly.

Bow hunting is actually really nice in HI for goats, although no one can own a crossbow legally. But I prefer a compound anyway as most people do. I enjoy the challege of it.
    I'm curious if anyone here is from california or NY, I'd be interested to know if it's worse than HI.

Used to visit Island Archery on Oahu in Honolulu near the airport when I was there...back in the day. They may still have a pic of me with a pig there, took it in the Pali.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Hawaii is actually a "May Issue" state according to the searches I've done. I'm also not sure what good it would do to carry a firearm there since there are more prohibited areas than any state that I've seen before.

And of course, this is eventually coming to the other 56 states with the constant progression of "common sense" gun laws.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I know I am being naive, but I don't understand how this has not been ruled unconstitutional. These laws are clearly intended to infringe upon a persons rights. Particularly not issuing permits to carry.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    Hawaii is actually a "May Issue" state according to the searches I've done. I'm also not sure what good it would do to carry a firearm there since there are more prohibited areas than any state that I've seen before.

And of course, this is eventually coming to the other 56 states with the constant progression of "common sense" gun laws.

That is correct, we are labeled may issue at the moment but we are becoming shall issue. I am not sure when it will take effect because the state is in the middle of an appeal which is the time lag in between where the state is allowed to continue its current actions. A precodent was set in California which forces Hawaii to become less strict which can be interpreted as becoming a shall issue. Since our may issue is really a no issue, the concensus is that hawaii will become a shall issue or actually become a true may issue. But I won't see that day that anything changed here because the appeal will likely take at least a year before the state is forced to loosen it's restrictions.

And I'm not sure about restricted areas in the state because technically every area except your home is a restricted area except to the 20 people in the state that have been granted a concealed carry permit since statehood.

In fact it is a felony to have an empty rifle or handgun in your own personal vehicle unless you are on your way to a shooting range, hunting location, police dept, or airport. So for instance if you stop at a gas station to refuel with an empty gun in your car, you are a felon and lose all of your guns should you be caught. That being said the state has turned all of its gun owners into uncaught felons.

Here's an old link about the court case: still no change since this that I know of.
    KHNL

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Welcome to INGO. Glad you share. We keep hearing 'it'll never happen in Indiana'...freedom is never more than a generation away from extinction(Scalia dying scares the hell out of me)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The aquisition of a handgun is similar to a rifle however with a few differences. The rifle permit is an ongoing permit to aquire throughout the year that allows you to buy up to 5 long guns before needing another permit. You need to renew after 1 year or after 5 guns, whichever comes first. Now the handgun process is different because it requires that you have taken a 3 day, state run, hunters education class in order to apply. This is a free class, but as with anything free there is a long waiting list. We're talking 3 months of a waiting list. Once you get your hunters ed card, you then are eligible to buy a handgun. So you go to the store and purchase a handgun, but the store keeps the gun in the vault. The store gives you a paper with the gun info to take into the police department in which you apply for a handgun permit to aquire. Keep in mind every trip to the police department is at least 1 to 4 hours not counting traffic. In 14 days if you pass the rigorous background and health check then you can pick up your paperwork at the police department, (yes that's 1-4 more hours). Then you are allowed to take the permit to the store to pick up the gun you've owned for weeks. Once again back to the police department with the handgun to get it registered and inspected by the police. And by the way each new handgun requires it's own permit and if you fail to pick up the permit within 3 days the process starts all over. Most people avoid handguns altogether because it's such a hassle and you can't carry the gun with you anyway.

As far as the concealed carry and shall issue goes, well that's complicated. A state can pass an unconstitutional law and it is enacted until the court says otherwise. So HI has been a may issue state that basically did not offer permits until the court said that was not constitutional. Well then the state recently became shall issue but have continued to decline all but a handful of applicants (mostly X police) that must be approved by the governor himself. There is a new law on the agenda that requires the police dept to give a definative reason why someone is declined. But I really think that law passing is far fetched in the HI legislature. It seems that HI has avoided unconstitutional actions simply by changing words but altering no actions. Hope that doesn't come off as complicated as it really is

OP thanks for the share. I had no idea it was this bad in any US state. It sounds eerily similar to the process to get a handgun in Germany save only the requirement for Germans to be a member of a shooting club

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Honestly, I see states becoming more and more polarized on this issue. Increasingly, states that want to allow carry are moving towards constitutional carry. On the other hand, the more liberal states are doing all they can to prohibit anyone from gaining a permit to carry.

I see this going to SCOTUS within a few years. People are getting too fed up with governmental over-reach on this matter.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

I grew up in NY, and much has changed since I was a youth.
    Handgun permits can take over a year to get approved. Each handgun then gets registered on the permit.
    I'm not sure which long guns get registered with the new SAFE act which was passed. I know that act has upset many of my shooting friends back there.
    I'm guessing most shotguns and hunting rifles don't require registration, so I'll go out on a limb and say HI is likely worse than NY.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    I grew up in NY, and much has changed since I was a youth.
    Handgun permits can take over a year to get approved. Each handgun then gets registered on the permit.
    I'm not sure which long guns get registered with the new SAFE act which was passed. I know that act has upset many of my shooting friends back there.
    I'm guessing most shotguns and hunting rifles don't require registration, so I'll go out on a limb and say HI is likely worse than NY.

I have heard rumors of widespread non compliance for the safe act, at least NY is standing up for their rights.

I would say that is a safe assumption that HI is worse. Very few things are not a felony related to firearms here. I learned yesterday that ammo is subjective to the same laws as the gun itself. Which means that if you buy ammo at the store and stop at a gas station to pick up a pack of skittles instead of going straight home, then that is a felony and is grounds for seizure of all firearms.

Basically they have the law written so that guns will be widely confiscated and it's owners deemed as criminals. But what do we expect with only a single elected republican in the legislature.

Top Bottom