• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    Honestly, I see states becoming more and more polarized on this issue. Increasingly, states that want to allow carry are moving towards constitutional carry. On the other hand, the more liberal states are doing all they can to prohibit anyone from gaining a permit to carry.

I see this going to SCOTUS within a few years. People are getting too fed up with governmental over-reach on this matter.

If it does go to the supreme court with all the polarization that exists it's going to cause an uproar either way. But in my opinion all of these issues should be left to the states, however a federal constitutional carry may be a better outcome for us all because eventually many states will ban CC leaving only a few strongholds of liberty. But I'm glad to see a constitutional carry revolution over these past 5 years

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It scares the crap out of me with Scalia no longer on the bench. The next judge will be crucial and will swing the vote one way or the other.

I, for one, do not agree with this being a states issue. This is a guaranteed right in the constitution, which applies to all states. Any state railing against the 2nd by legislating law making it a burden to gain the right to carry (or own firearms) should be deemed unconstitutional by the federal .gov and repealed.

The thinking that this is a states issue is what has screwed us over. There's now wildly different laws in each state. There's also a ridiculous web of who accepts who's permits/licenses among the states. Again, the right of the people is guaranteed at the federal level. States are currently infringing on our rights.

And with increased interstate travel, this is becoming an excessive burden on the people. It was fine to have this as a states issue when people remained (pretty much) within their own state. But in this time, I may go to three or four different states within a weekend. All of those states having different laws, and some, but not others, not accepting my LTCH from IN is absolutely unacceptable when my right is guaranteed at the federal level.

However, it scares me to have this brought up to SCOTUS. It could go the wrong direction. Especially now that Scalia is gone.

If it does go to the supreme court with all the polarization that exists it's going to cause an uproar either way. But in my opinion all of these issues should be left to the states, however a federal constitutional carry may be a better outcome for us all because eventually many states will ban CC leaving only a few strongholds of liberty. But I'm glad to see a constitutional carry revolution over these past 5 years

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    Reading this thread makes me feel better about spending the first seven years of my gun owning life in IL. Of course shortly after I escaped they passed CCW.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The biggest problem with the fedgov being able to repeal a state's laws on this is that if they have the power to repeal laws we don't like, they can also repeal laws we do. Even Scalia ruled in favor of regulation (in the present-day sense of the word), though I have my unfounded suspicions he did so only because Kennedy wouldn't sign on to the majority opinion without that in there. As I said, I can't prove that, it's just what I imagine happened in the deliberations, and without Kennedy's signature, it would have been a minority opinion. A footnote, if you will, to the loss of our rights.

If they want to 14A the RKBA, requiring that a carry license in one is valid in all, that sounds great on the surface. I can see the pitfalls, though, with Constitutional Carry growing and with the licenses as they exist now, as soon as the Court rules that all licenses are valid in all states, the next gun-grabber step is to start pushing for a mandatory minimum set of criteria, below which none may carry. Probably start with "must be 21 or older", and go from there to training requirements and off-limits places on a federal level.

The idea of federalism was that each state would be its own "laboratory", and the laws from one to another could be substantially different. The whole "patchwork of laws" thing is how they intended it, a balance between people either fighting to change laws for the better and choosing to "escape" to a place that already had better laws.

It's a great idea, just not as easy to do these days. It's been said, and I believe it to be true: Government has not stopped working. It's just stopped working *for us*.

Blessings,
    Bill

It scares the crap out of me with Scalia no longer on the bench. The next judge will be crucial and will swing the vote one way or the other.

I, for one, do not agree with this being a states issue. This is a guaranteed right in the constitution, which applies to all states. Any state railing against the 2nd by legislating law making it a burden to gain the right to carry (or own firearms) should be deemed unconstitutional by the federal .gov and repealed.

The thinking that this is a states issue is what has screwed us over. There's now wildly different laws in each state. There's also a ridiculous web of who accepts who's permits/licenses among the states. Again, the right of the people is guaranteed at the federal level. States are currently infringing on our rights.

And with increased interstate travel, this is becoming an excessive burden on the people. It was fine to have this as a states issue when people remained (pretty much) within their own state. But in this time, I may go to three or four different states within a weekend. All of those states having different laws, and some, but not others, not accepting my LTCH from IN is absolutely unacceptable when my right is guaranteed at the federal level.

However, it scares me to have this brought up to SCOTUS. It could go the wrong direction. Especially now that Scalia is gone.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County

I see both sides of this. In the end I selfishly want indiana to be able to make its own laws according to the 14th ammendment but then I see other states being stripped of their rights. It is a federal issue in the modern Era, but then again if the outcome of the decision is against concealed carry I don't want to abide by a pen stroke 1000 miles away. I guess I haven't come to a solid conclusion on this issue myself. I have however seen how destructive states can be about the 2nd ammendment.

Top Bottom