• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They are not off limits by Indiana law but I have heard that some have rules and may ask you to leave. Trespassing if you refuse.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    I attend Neighborhood Crime Watch meetings. I was thinking it might not be legal, because these are put on by the Police Dept. I thought it might be considered similar to carrying while visiting someone in a half-way house, which is illegal. Any kind of program, facility, etc that has a relationship to a jail, views carrying on that property the same as carrying in a jail. A Crime Watch meeting, while held at the library, is still a Police-sponsored type of function. See the parallel?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think the halfway house and jail thing has more to do with the people you are associating with than with the actual location.
    I see no problem with carrying @ the library and have done so many times.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Carry at a library is legal, but as mentioned above, some have no weapon policies where they could ask you to remove your weapon or leave. White River branch off of 135 is this way.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Library carry is legal but against the rules. Just cover up.

TAKE NOTE: It is illegal to carry any place where a school function is being held. Check the parking lot for school buses or passenger vans from private schools before you enter. If a group of students enter while your there leave immediately.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Beau, that's open for debate. The code specifies that the property is being used by the school for a school function. The implication is that the sole use of the property is for the school function at that point (reserved by the school).
    Otherwise, if a school takes a field trip to the circle anyone who carries around the circle is subject to arrest.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Beau, that's open for debate. The code specifies that the property is being used by the school for a school function. The implication is that the sole use of the property is for the school function at that point (reserved by the school).
    Otherwise, if a school takes a field trip to the circle anyone who carries around the circle is subject to arrest.
    Debate it all you want. We are not talking about an open air public setting. We are talking about an enclosed space. The library I go to has only one room. Not worth chancing to me. Don't want to be the test case.

I did word my post to much as being fact. My bad.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think the issues arises much to the fact that there is no case law, as yet. The law doesn't distinguish between enclosed property or open air property, so I don't think proximity to the kids is the crux of the issue.
    However, I'd rather not be the test case either, but my guess is it will get tested as there are bound to be school groups somewhere someone is carrying.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I think the issues arises much to the fact that there is no case law, as yet. The law doesn't distinguish between enclosed property or open air property, so I don't think proximity to the kids is the crux of the issue.
    However, I'd rather not be the test case either, but my guess is it will get tested as there are bound to be school groups somewhere someone is carrying.

Hopefully, when that test case arises it will be because a LTCH holder stopped an assault.

Buckaroo

Top Bottom