• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So i have a lifetime LTCH license. I did some digging and i was unaware that there was a lifetime "hunting and target" license.

After about 20 minutes of navigating the oh-so-helpful ISP website, i didn't see anything clarifying this: Since i already *have* a license, does that mean that i apply for the H&T license with the "currently license holder"?

Also, what does the H&T license specifically entail? With my LTCH (personal defense license), i understand i can't HUNT with it, but i've been taking guns to shooting ranges for a long time...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So i have a lifetime LTCH license. I did some digging and i was unaware that there was a lifetime "hunting and target" license.

After about 20 minutes of navigating the oh-so-helpful ISP website, i didn't see anything clarifying this: Since i already *have* a license, does that mean that i apply for the H&T license with the "currently license holder"?

Also, what does the H&T license specifically entail? With my LTCH (personal defense license), i understand i can't HUNT with it, but i've been taking guns to shooting ranges for a long time...

Indiana no longer sells a lifetime Hunting and Fishing License, and LTCH doesn't apply to DNR licenses.

EDIT: Ack, see you were talking about the H&T Handgun License... To my knowledge, that has changed from the old Personal Protection Permit and Hunting and Target Permit, to just an all-in-one LTCH, hence the reason people still calling it a permit catch grief...

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    As I understand it, the H&T license allowed you to transport your handgun for those purposes. Your LTCH not only allows you to carry for protection, it covers the H&T items as well. With the new law passed last year, the H&T license became obsolete since a license is no longer needed to transport.

Mark

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    EDIT: Ack, see you were talking about the H&T Handgun License... To my knowledge, that has changed from the old Personal Protection Permit and Hunting and Target Permit, to just an all-in-one LTCH, hence the reason people still calling it a permit catch grief...

Both licenses still exist. In the IC, they're referred to as "Qualified" and "Unlimited" licenses, both available in both 4-year and Lifetime variants.

The "Qualified" license is the "Hunting and Target" license and is intended only to allow you to carry to/from a range or your hunting grounds. With the new transport legislation that recently went into effect, this license is now largely obsolete. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten one, either.

The "Unlimited" license is the traditional personal protection permit that allows you to carry anywhere, except where prohibited by law.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it is a law that is no longer needed, but still on the books..
    back before 1990 ish, you had to give a reason to get an unlimited license, some local LEOs where very tough on allowing an unlimited.. so you could get a H&T one so you can go handgun hunting..

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Both licenses still exist. In the IC, they're referred to as "Qualified" and "Unlimited" licenses, both available in both 4-year and Lifetime variants.

The "Qualified" license is the "Hunting and Target" license and is intended only to allow you to carry to/from a range or your hunting grounds. With the new transport legislation that recently went into effect, this license is now largely obsolete. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten one, either.

The "Unlimited" license is the traditional personal protection permit that allows you to carry anywhere, except where prohibited by law.

Interesting, the application for LTCH that I filled out didn't have any options, it was just 4 year or lifetime LTCH.

I had seen previous applications a few years back that had Personal Protection and Hunting and Target, and a page for a one page explanation of why you needed said license...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting, the application for LTCH that I filled out didn't have any options, it was just 4 year or lifetime LTCH.

I had seen previous applications a few years back that had Personal Protection and Hunting and Target, and a page for a one page explanation of why you needed said license...

I wonder if they changed the application? The license types are all still listed in the IC.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Your Indiana LTCH allows you to carry a handgun.

Your hunting license from the DNR allows you to hunt.

If you want to hunt with a handgun, you need both, a hunting license and a LTCH. To hunt with a handgun, you must have either a hunting & target LTCH, or unrestricted (personal protection) LTCH.

Only certain species can be hunted with a handgun, and only certain calibers can be used. Be sure you know the DNR hunting regulations regarding hunting with handguns for the species you are hunting (for example, you can't hunt squirrels with a .44 mag and you can't hunt deer with a .32).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you want to hunt with a handgun, you need both, a hunting license and a LTCH. To hunt with a handgun, you must have either a hunting & target LTCH, or unrestricted (personal protection) LTCH.

No, you don't. You can hunt with (with a handgun) without having a Qualified LTCH. The Qualified LTCH is specifically for transporting your firearm and for carrying it on hunting property while hunting. However, if you own the property or have the permission of the owner to carry the handgun on the property, you don't need an LTCH to carry a handgun.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    No, you don't. You can hunt with (with a handgun) without having a Qualified LTCH. The Qualified LTCH is specifically for transporting your firearm and for carrying it on hunting property while hunting. However, if you own the property or have the permission of the owner to carry the handgun on the property, you don't need an LTCH to carry a handgun.

As you pointed out, you don't need the LTCH only when hunting on private property with the permission of the owner. Sorry, I am not lucky enough to have access to private land to hunt on and forgot to qualify my repsonse. I sure wish I did have access to some private land for hunting!

However, to say "No you don't" need an LTCH to hunt with a handgun is not true across the board either. If you are hunting state property like many of us poor peons are stuck with then Yes, you do need to carry an LTCH while handgun hunting with a handgun on state property.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    However, to say "No you don't" need an LTCH to hunt with a handgun is not true across the board either.

Yes, that's why I qualified my statement with several instances under which you did not need a license. As my statement was a direct response to yours, it would be silly to take it as a standalone comment. "No, you don't" was a response to "You need both". If I meant "You don't ever have to have an LTCH to hunt", then I would have said that.

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana

Only certain species can be hunted with a handgun, and only certain calibers can be used. Be sure you know the DNR hunting regulations regarding hunting with handguns for the species you are hunting (for example, you can't hunt squirrels with a .44 mag and you can't hunt deer with a .32).

Can you point out in the DNR hunting regs. where it says I can't hunt squirrels with a .44 mag?

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    That is the stupid part of hunting in in this state, you can hunt gophers with a .50 cal. Barrett if you so desire,but not deer. If i understand the regs correctly,, deer hunting is the only game with caliber restrictions.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Can you point out in the DNR hunting regs. where it says I can't hunt squirrels with a .44 mag?

I checked the Indiana Upland and Small Game Hunting Guide. I could not find any weapons restrictions for squirrel. It's been a long time since I hunted squirrel but back then it was limited to shotgun or .22 rimfire. Here'e the link: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-upland_smallgame_guide.pdf

Also checked the hunting & trapping regs, nothing there either; http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2011-12_Hunting_Trapping_Guide.pdf

So maybe you can shoot squirrels with a .44 after all, even if there won't be much left!

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yes, that's why I qualified my statement with several instances under which you did not need a license. As my statement was a direct response to yours, it would be silly to take it as a standalone comment. "No, you don't" was a response to "You need both". If I meant "You don't ever have to have an LTCH to hunt", then I would have said that.

OK, this is where the internet just falls to pieces.
    The only proper response I can think of is.....:cheers::cheers:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

-Wrong in many if not most cases.

Only certain species can be hunted with a handgun, and only certain calibers can be used. Be sure you know the DNR hunting regulations regarding hunting with handguns for the species you are hunting (for example, you can't hunt squirrels with a .44 mag
    -I think you must have just made this law up yourself!:dunno:
    and you can't hunt deer with a .32).

Man! It is hard to pack that much wrongness into one post! Congratulations...I guess??:dunno:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Man! It is hard to pack that much wrongness into one post! Congratulations...I guess??:dunno:

I think I admitted my error. I have been sufficiently chastised and whipped, and the issue has been sufficiently clarified. :horse:

Now, did you have anything useful to add or do you just enjoy being negative?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now, did you have anything useful to add or do you just enjoy being negative?

Nope, I'm good! Just pointing out an extaordinary post and congratulating! ;)
    OK, seriously, it was kind of piling on...I apologize. No more chastizing...for now. But, no bacon for you!!! TWO WEEKS!!! Hopefully we can all learn from this, and not make similar mistakes in the future. :D

Top Bottom