• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Gun Rights & Gun Control Issues - Platform, Record, Myths, Statements about Mitt Romney on Guns

So I was telling a friend of mine, a Romney fan, what I disliked about Romney. Finally, we got to gun rights. Many of you know that there was a lengthy post on this forum earlier about him banning weapons in Mass. Apparently, that was pretty much a lie by the Boston Globe?

In this page there are debunked myths about Romney and gun control and if you get all the way down, the one about ARs getting banned is on there.

Both the NRA and the Gun Owner's Action League have given him kudos.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't stand up and sing Handel's Messiah when I hear his name, but I do sleep a little easier at night knowing that our most likely candidate to oppose Obama is not actually anti-gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Gun Rights & Gun Control Issues - Platform, Record, Myths, Statements about Mitt Romney on Guns

So I was telling a friend of mine, a Romney fan, what I disliked about Romney. Finally, we got to gun rights. Many of you know that there was a lengthy post on this forum earlier about him banning weapons in Mass. Apparently, that was pretty much a lie by the Boston Globe?

In this page there are debunked myths about Romney and gun control and if you get all the way down, the one about ARs getting banned is on there.

Both the NRA and the Gun Owner's Action League have given him kudos.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't stand up and sing Handel's Messiah when I hear his name, but I do sleep a little easier at night knowing that our most likely candidate to oppose Obama is not actually anti-gun.

Mitt Romney – GOA grade D- nuff said

link

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Remember he likes to change his mind.......shoe company's love him tho using the Word flip flop so much sells shoes.............lets say he become president and decides to change his mind on his view on assault weapons ban .....remember he has a history of this ..... with his powerful cooperation friends to lean on a republican controlled house it can happen if the right tragedy for it hits the news....:popcorn:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I don't give a damn what Mitt Romney says about the 2nd Amendment in 2011 or 2012. The fact is his 2nd Amendment record is repugnant.

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/pres_files/Romneyflier.pdf

"In a move that will help keep the streets and neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt Romney today signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban." -Romney Press Release July 1 2004

"These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense, they are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people." - Who would say such a thing!? Josh Sugarmann? Paul Helmke? NO THAT WOULD BE MITT ROMNEY July 1 2004

Furthermore, Mitt Romney has supported
    -Brady Registration Act
    -Mandatory Firearms ID Cards (Hello Illinois)
    -a 5 day waiting period
    -Diane Feinstein's Federal Gun Ban (you outdid yourself that time Mitt)

Romney is a serial liar, don't believe him, he'll go whichever way the political winds point him in. He's done it with every conceivable political issue (not just the 2nd Amendment). I refer to him as a 4 letter word that rhymes with Mitt, hint: the first two letters are S and H.

Don't try to convince me that this puke is good with gun rights.

I cannot understand why Obama-hating so-called conservatives would support this piece of trash

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    "The laws I do and will support include decades-old restrictions on weapons of unusual lethality like grenades, rocket launchers, fully automatic firearms and what are legally known as destructive devices and would include similar restrictions on new and exotic weapons of similar or even greater lethality" Translation: I'll agree to a ban or further restrictions on anything that's scary-looking and you can forget a repeal of NFA.

"I believe in safe and responsible gun ownership and that anyone who exercises the right to keep and bear arms must do so lawfully and properly." Translation: The .gov will decide whats proper and lawful.

I'm not buying it. Romney has no core beliefs and has shown that he will attempt to be all-things to all people in his shameless zeal for votes. He's nothing more than a nicer looking version of Gingrich.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Dont have time to read the article at the moment ... but how is Romney in any way pro gun? What has he done to show he's pro gun? I've seen more than enough of him talking about how gun laws are good, and need to be chipped away blah blah blah

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Mitt is the one who is lying to get votes. His record is attrocious.

I do sleep a little easier at night knowing that our most likely candidate to oppose Obama is not actually anti-gun.
    Ehh if Romney is not anti-gun then neither is Barack Obama. LOL

My thread on Mitt & Guns: Mitt Romney: Traitor in our midst

GOA grades 2012 Presidential Candidates: Mitt Romney D-

Mitt Romney - Gun Owners Of America
    Romney also spoke in favor of the Brady law’s five day waiting period on handguns. The Boston Herald quotes Romney saying, “I don’t think (the waiting period) will have a massive effect on crime but I think it will have a positive effect.”3
    Mitt Romney doesn’t seem to understand the meaning of “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.”
    And that makes it all the more troubling that Romney refuses to answer GOA’s simple candidate questionnaire. In our more than 36 years of experience, a candidate is usually hiding anti-gun views if he or she refuses to come clean in writing with specific commitments to the Second Amendment.
    Today, Romney may be a favorite “Republican Establishment” candidate of the national press corps. But that is exactly what gun owners DON’T need in a new President. We need someone who will stand by true constitutional principles and protect the Second Amendment.
    Romney signs off on permanent assault weapons ban
    "Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

NationalGunRights.org - Romney Flier

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ygw9CQ9po[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UQG7k1uX0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1bJOpYUqE[/ame]

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would rep you, rambone, but I have to spread it around some more.

There's nothing like using a man's own words to debunk the "debunking" of the "myths" regarding his positions.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, IDK. Who can you believe? I'm not sure you are going to find any candidate besides perhaps RP that would choose to allow full auto and grenades is pressed to make a call. For some people noting short of complete lack of control is not good enough. That will never happen even if RP gets electede, congress will never let him trun back time so WTF is the point? Just like RoeVWade will never be overturned regardless of who gets voted in because they won't be able to garner anough support in congress or the courts to do it.

As for Romney's capricious firmly held beliefs, he seems to shift his beliefs with whoever is voting for him at the moment. Perhaps, the fact that he will be voted in by "conservatives" this time will keep his beliefs shifted in our favor. Ultimately, IDC what he believes as long as he remembers that the republicans put him there and that republicans as a whole are pro-gun. Perhaps his desire for political survival will work in our favor?

The fact that he will be a first term and have to get re-elected once more should help hold him in check unlike Obama who will have nothing to lose.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Some of the above posted links are good links, some are just opnions pieces on how Romney is interpreted by people who don't like them. As I said, who to believe? For example how is it that Romney brings condemnation for a Mass law to have permits that closely mirrored IN laws until recently? WTF? Also, should we press Mitch Daniels to allow us to have no restriction on full auto? I wonder what he would say?

The only difference between Romney and almost every other conservative politician is that someone has put him in the position of publically having to answer those questions.

And to say that Romney = Obama is ridiculous. It is a narrow, short sighted, black and white view of the world. In reality, there are shades of gray and while Mitt may be well into the gray area, he is certainly not as bad as Obama. For example, do see "Fast and Furious" happening with Romney? MEh...I don't think so.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    From a policy standpoint, there is virtually no difference between fearless leader and Romney.

They are essentially two sides of the same coin.

Both are statist pigs.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Romney, as with every other candidate including RP, is a product of a corrupt political system. All would be held hostage by the establishment that sits behind the figure heads and calls the shots.
    IMO the only way this will ever change is to start from the bottom up. Until the People wake up and realize how lazy, complacent and stupid WE have been and control of the our elected "Representatives in government" is returned to its rightful place, nothing will ever truely change. It may slow down, but the path WILL remain the same.

I know it is not a very bright view on my part. Maybe I'm not seeing thing realistically. I would be happy to have my mind changed, I just don't think it can be.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    We're going to be reading the same crap about U.N. Treaties and ATF scandals under President Goldman Sachs. I have no doubt. He's a puppet of the globalist bankers and he will do what he is told. When it is the proper time to attack the 2nd Amendment, no spineless unprincipled puppet president is going to stand up against his handlers, on an issue he has already proven himself to be an enemy of freedom.

Haggis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    From a policy standpoint, there is virtually no difference between fearless leader and Romney.

They are essentially two sides of the same coin.

That is my thought as well. Obama and Romney are far more alike on policy than they are different. But once in a while Romney does bash Obama - for not loving big government programs like Medicaire enough.

Mitt Romney Loves Medicare Very Much And Won

Top Bottom