Life expectancy of an Airweight Smith J frame?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I've always wondered about this... What's the life expectancy of an Airweight?
    Maybe the correct question is: how old are you?

Why? 'Cause you're MORE likely to keel over at an advanced old age than you are to 'wear out' that Airweight in your lifetime, JMO.

But, if ya WANT the 640 Pro, and are willing to :spend: the extra $$$ for it, far be it from me to 'argue' that choice.

Full disclosure: LOTS of great wheel guns out there, Ruger being high on that list. But personal preference for 4 decades has been S&W.

Have had more than one S&W magnum (Mdls. 66, 686, 29, 629) that have had thousands of full-boat magnum rounds down range, per year, through 'em. Never had one 'wear out'.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My 442 is going on 18yrs old. Carried a lot, shot a little. Not +P rated, but a few have gone downrange, along with standard LRN. Still working well.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Being "Frosted Nickel" finish has helped a lot on wear. A little shiny on the cylinder, and end of barrel. Since I usually use a nylon Uncle Mikes IWB holster, and old school leather w/ clip (meaning like the old Bianchi style). Have worn out more holsters than guns!
    I still carry it for discrete security( BUG), but also a G19, OWB strong side. Learned on 2, so still going strong.

IF I can figure out a pic, will try to post it. Honestly, it's still really decent. No flaking finish as some older ones did. Good luck on your decision.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Being "Frosted Nickel" finish has helped a lot on wear. A little shiny on the cylinder, and end of barrel. Since I usually use a nylon Uncle Mikes IWB holster, and old school leather w/ clip (meaning like the old Bianchi style). Have worn out more holsters than guns!
    I still carry it for discrete security( BUG), but also a G19, OWB strong side. Learned on 2, so still going strong.

IF I can figure out a pic, will try to post it. Honestly, it's still really decent. No flaking finish as some older ones did. Good luck on your decision.

Well, given that it's nickel, pics won't be necessary. The 442 current finish is black. Was really wondering about how the black holds up. Thanks, though!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, given that it's nickel, pics won't be necessary. The 442 current finish is black. Was really wondering about how the black holds up. Thanks, though!

We are a society that likes things to look "new" forever...The popularity of plastic surgery shows that creed (sometimes) even extends to ourselves...I like my carry gun with all of the scars, nicks, wear, dings etc...that a lifetime of service and peace of mind can tattoo on a gun.....

Plus I like collectible Smith's and the prices for "Like New" K 22's, K Frame .357 Snubs, and any N Frame have gotten to the point where I will only carry them if they have a few scars on them...

IMHO of course...

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Smith also has a damn good warranty. If it "wears out" just send it back for them to fix it.

Buy the gun you really want. My guess is that whatever you choose will be around longer than you think...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    First of all, thanks for all of your input, folks. Secondly, since THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS....

9aaa7e3c8f8072f3b06fe2eac69cae96.jpg

642 Pro, cut for moon clips and action job from the factory. The moon clips don't want to cooperate with the ammo I got today, so I'm hoping they will with the Gold Dot ammo I've got on the way, but it's a compromise my wallet could live with.

Thanks, INGO! I really appreciate your input!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    First of all, thanks for all of your input, folks. Secondly, since THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS....

9aaa7e3c8f8072f3b06fe2eac69cae96.jpg

642 Pro, cut for moon clips and action job from the factory. The moon clips don't want to cooperate with the ammo I got today, so I'm hoping they will with the Gold Dot ammo I've got on the way, but it's a compromise my wallet could live with.

Thanks, INGO! I really appreciate your input!

Now that right there is a high quality wheel gun :drool:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For what it's worth, here's my two cents. If you can afford the ammo or reloading components it takes to wear out a J frame, then you can easily afford to replace it. I'm sure it could be done, but you would have to be a man with a mission.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Good job getting what you really wanted all along.:yesway:
    Just do a bit of extra overtime to make up for the extra cost of the Pro, then a bit more overtime to take your lady out as thanks for being cool with you getting it.:bowdown:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Good job getting what you really wanted all along.
    Just do a bit of extra overtime to make up for the extra cost of the Pro, then a bit more overtime to thank your lady for being cool with you getting it.

642 Pro, not 640 Pro. I settled but I can also sleep at night without concern for the $ spent.

Thanks, though.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've always wondered about this. I'm a bit old-school in some things, and the metallurgy of a revolver seems to be one of them. I fondly remember the model 60 3 inch I had back in the early 90's - back when the 60 was a 38, not a 357. I loved that little gun but of course was young and stupid and traded it for something I can't even remember now.

My getting back into guns and shooting has been very enjoyable over the last few years. But I just can't get that "feeling" for any autoloader that I have for wheelguns. I cut my teeth on them back then, and I've just decided that, for me, what I shoot and carry is the old tried-and-true wheelgun. I've strayed for the last time (I keep telling myself!). Give me a J frame!

SO. Money IS an object, in this case. I've been offered an absolutely SMOKIN' deal on a new 640 Pro, but it's still going to fetch a bit over $300 more from my wallet than an Airweight. In my mind, the 640 is a great idea for me. All steel for durability, recoil control, etc. BUT. $3xx more.

So, I shoot what I carry. I don't have "range" guns. I don't have safe queens. I shoot what I carry, and I carry what I shoot.

What's the life expectancy of an Airweight? Am I just too concerned about the "long haul" with an aluminum frame? I don't shoot the boomers I used to. Plus P 38 is the biggest boom I feel I need, and that's only in moderation with carry ammo from time to time. How long can I expect an Airweight to last without getting into timing problems, tolerances opening up, etc, shooting (mainly) standard pressure loads with some +P now and again?

Any long-time Airweight owners/shooters that can weigh in? Thanks!

I am like you, I carry what I shoot, and I shoot what I carry .....

That being said, LIFE of a firearm, is # of rounds..... PERIOD !!!!!

The more you shoot, the shorter the life.....

I have a Model 59, I bought new, back in 1979, this is my Duty and edc.....

Thousands of rounds..... NO problems....

Likewise, I have a Model 19, .357 all STEEL, thousands of rounds, NO problems....

shoot "light" loads, and any gun will last almost forever.....

Heavy loads, or Magnum loads, wear out guns quicker .....

As will +p loads ..... Aluminum frame + heavy loads, = short life .....

JMHO, YMMV .....

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    You can buy a new 642 no-lock for $340 all day long, so who really cares? At that price, they're almost disposable compared to the cost of the ammo you'd put through each one you end up wearing out. The alloy cylinders of the older Airweight and AirLites were their weak point. I think S&W made a great compromise with the aluminum frame/stainless cylinder/entire barrel on today's Airweight. Say what you will about MIM parts, but I think S&W is building their best revolvers ever right now. Just say "no" to the Hillary Hole until they stop making them.

Top Bottom