Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So, today was my yearly work physical.
    Don't take the physical, don't get to work.

Anyway, woman doc went to press on the ankles for a check (no I don't know what she was looking for) when she encountered the ankle trauma kit.
    When I told her it was a trauma kit, and showed it to her, she asked why I have a trauma kit.

I almost asked her why she DIDN'T.

Anyway, I showed her my empty holster, said I carried for just in case.
    Said if my gun comes out, there's a problem.
    The problem could be someone else got shot, or the problem could be I got shot.

Then I told her I also have standard first aid kits in my garage, bathroom, and vehicle. But you usually have time to get to those. Trauma kit.. not so much.

A doctor should know better than anyone else that you can just bleed to death in less than a minute.

I'm surprised that carrying medical kits is not more common and that people are still surprised about it after seeing terrorist attacks, mass shootings and car accidents on the news all the time.

Funny that she didn't ask why you carried a gun (or maybe she did).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A doctor should know better than anyone else that you can just bleed to death in less than a minute.

I'm surprised that carrying medical kits is not more common and that people are still surprised about it after seeing terrorist attacks, mass shootings and car accidents on the news all the time.

Funny that she didn't ask why you carried a gun (or maybe she did).

She didn't seem surprised.
    I think mill workers with a gun are a greater percentage than the standard population.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So, today was my yearly work physical.
    Don't take the physical, don't get to work.

Anyway, woman doc went to press on the ankles for a check (no I don't know what she was looking for) when she encountered the ankle trauma kit.
    When I told her it was a trauma kit, and showed it to her, she asked why I have a trauma kit.

I almost asked her why she DIDN'T.

Anyway, I showed her my empty holster, said I carried for just in case.
    Said if my gun comes out, there's a problem.
    The problem could be someone else got shot, or the problem could be I got shot.

Then I told her I also have standard first aid kits in my garage, bathroom, and vehicle. But you usually have time to get to those. Trauma kit.. not so much.

So she signed you up for a psyche eval.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    From the stories you tell i believe you need to be slightly off your rocker to work there.

The work and heat is bad enough, but having to put up with bossed of the caliber of ensigns/2d louies I would not last long.
    The only thing that kept me alive in the army was I was too good at my job, they wouldn't fire/court-martial me for insubordination.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From the stories you tell i believe you need to be slightly off your rocker to work there.

The work and heat is bad enough, but having to put up with bossed of the caliber of ensigns/2d louies I would not last long.
    The only thing that kept me alive in the army was I was too good at my job, they wouldn't fire/court-martial me for insubordination.

Well, you know me, so you should know if I'm "off my rocker" or not. :)
    And I have a situation like the movie "Office Space" where he has several supervisors, and his main job is to keep them off his back.
    [video=youtube;IwlZQJyKZ2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwlZQJyKZ2A[/video]

Right now, I have 3 maintenance foremen.
    But I also have to answer to 4 production foremen.
    Then there's the steel south manager, and the caster production coordinator.
    Then the steel producing area manager.

those are just the bosses I see regularly.

When I was in the coke plant, I had a systems foreman and a maintenance group foreman.
    then each turn had a production turn foreman, and a maintenance turn foreman.
    add in the coke plant production turn foreman, and an coke plant area manager, then a production foreman for 5&7 batteries, and a production foreman for 2 battery, and another for 3 battery, then the foreman over the locomotive repair shop.

So when I say I'm on boss number 25 or 26 or whatever, the number changes, because I really don't know how many bosses I've had.
    And every one of those positions have had multiple people.

Just recently, a maintenance boss asked if we changed a temperature pole (used to take the temp of liquid steel, with a cardboard sleeve over it) on Sunday, on the west side.
    He was mad because "we don't fill out our paperwork, and he's tired of telling us. And they can't justify the man hours the Caster uses for 5 systems repairman.
    So the guy on shift points out the paperwork we fill out EVERY SHIFT.
    Then asks him why we fill it out when management can't get their heads out of their asses.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The heat isn't so bad. Why my last day at work, it was 30 some degrees.. outside.
    A nice balmy 70 or so on the main cast floor, as long as you stayed away from the ladle and the tundish box.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    WGN News at 9 is going to have a first aid in a mass casualty situation tonight.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    WGN News at 9 is going to have a first aid in a mass casualty situation tonight.

So as I figured It was an AR 15 hit piece.

They had a gun shop owner explaining how much more deadly the AR was than a pistol because the long barrel increased the velocity. I give him credit that he most likely gave a decent interview, but they butchered it to say what they wanted it to say.

A Chicago doctor showed X-rays and explained that a pistol would not break bones the way an AR would. He said he sees wounds like this often. He didn't say that that accounts for about 3% of GSW's in Chicago.

Another woman in a lab coat showed an X-ray of a shattered hip, and said that an AR was devastating, but a pistol bullet would be lodged in the hip or make a small puncture.

They did have a woman in a lab coat show on a fake thigh with a large gash how to cover the wound with any cloth and apply direct Pressure with both hands. She did a good job of showing bearing down with all of your weight, but on a counter top, it would have been much more effective had it been on the ground.

She then said if that doesn't stop the bleed to try packing the wound and applying direct pressure and said to hold the pressure until medical personnel take over.

She then gave a poor demonstration of how to apply a CAT tourniquet.

More than you would expect from Chicago media, but really the slant you would expect.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So as I figured It was an AR 15 hit piece.

They had a gun shop owner explaining how much more deadly the AR was than a pistol because the long barrel increased the velocity. I give him credit that he most likely gave a decent interview, but they butchered it to say what they wanted it to say.

A Chicago doctor showed X-rays and explained that a pistol would not break bones the way an AR would. He said he sees wounds like this often. He didn't say that that accounts for about 3% of GSW's in Chicago.

Another woman in a lab coat showed an X-ray of a shattered hip, and said that an AR was devastating, but a pistol bullet would be lodged in the hip or make a small puncture.

They did have a woman in a lab coat show on a fake thigh with a large gash how to cover the wound with any cloth and apply direct Pressure with both hands. She did a good job of showing bearing down with all of your weight, but on a counter top, it would have been much more effective had it been on the ground.

She then said if that doesn't stop the bleed to try packing the wound and applying direct pressure and said to hold the pressure until medical personnel take over.

She then gave a poor demonstration of how to apply a CAT tourniquet.

More than you would expect from Chicago media, but really the slant you would expect.

So will she volunteer to be shot in the hip with a Glock 19? I mean, it's for science. It's not like there's a metric butt-tonne load of empirical data of what 9mm, .40, and .45ACP do to human bone. Oh, wait . . .

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was looking for the segment and found some others.
    [video=youtube;uePWovja_Zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePWovja_Zs[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;mnmYymGuRO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnmYymGuRO0[/video].

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Of the two most compact TQ options, would you go for RATS or SWAT? Some may argue about either's effectiveness, but to me even significantly reducing the bleeding until better trained (I've done several Wilderness FA classes that included triage for multiple victims as well as CPR) and equipped personnel arrive is better than not carrying one at all, which is the current situation.

RATS seems the easiest to self-apply and smallest but I think that also limits its usefulness. SWAT's width should help effectiveness or it can act as pressure bandage. I'd think it could still be used on kids, etc.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Read the thread, The general consensus is that the SOFT-W is the best.

If you just want to stay alive a little longer, I guess either would be OK.

Young William

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Going to take the Direct Action Response Training course in Columbus OH in two weeks. This is my first medical call so I am excited to learn all the stuff I do not know.

Course Description:
    The time to learn to use your personal trauma kit is not when you or someone else is bleeding out!!! When life expectancy is measured in seconds and help is minutes away, will you know what to do? In our uncertain lives, that is a question that we all need to be able to answer a resounding, “Yes!” to. Dark Angel Medical, LLC, is proud to offer training and instruction in the use of the D.A.R.K. The Direct Action Response Training** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”. The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application. A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition.
    The course covers the following:
    Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit
    Note pad and pen/pencil/Sharpie
    Individual First Aid Kit—If you choose to. All training materials are provided.
    An open mind

I am also getting the D.A.R.K. Civilian Trauma Kit:

D.A.R.K., Complete Kit--- comes complete with pouch which has shear retention straps on either side of the pouch and a 1" PVC Medic patch, color matched trauma shears, Gen 7 CAT and Vacuum-sealed components to include:

1 pair Nitrile gloves, size L,
    1 pair HALO Seals,
    1x Nasal Airway,
    1x 4'' Israeli Bandage,
    1x QuikCLot Combat Gauze LE or ChitoGauze XR Pro(MIL-SPEC Kits contain QuikClot Combat Gauze MIL)
    1x Compressed Gauze
    1x Mylar Blanket
    Polycarbonate Eyeshield (current USMC issue eye shield and is recommended by the Committee on Tactical Casualty Combat Care)
    1 x Ten Tac Med Tips Assessment Card (NEW ITEM)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Going to take the Direct Action Response Training course in Columbus OH in two weeks. This is my first medical call so I am excited to learn all the stuff I do not know.

Course Description:
    The time to learn to use your personal trauma kit is not when you or someone else is bleeding out!!! When life expectancy is measured in seconds and help is minutes away, will you know what to do? In our uncertain lives, that is a question that we all need to be able to answer a resounding, “Yes!” to. Dark Angel Medical, LLC, is proud to offer training and instruction in the use of the D.A.R.K. The Direct Action Response Training** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”. The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application. A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition.
    The course covers the following:
    Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit
    Note pad and pen/pencil/Sharpie
    Individual First Aid Kit—If you choose to. All training materials are provided.
    An open mind

I am also getting the D.A.R.K. Civilian Trauma Kit:

D.A.R.K., Complete Kit--- comes complete with pouch which has shear retention straps on either side of the pouch and a 1" PVC Medic patch, color matched trauma shears, Gen 7 CAT and Vacuum-sealed components to include:

1 pair Nitrile gloves, size L,
    1 pair HALO Seals,
    1x Nasal Airway,
    1x 4'' Israeli Bandage,
    1x QuikCLot Combat Gauze LE or ChitoGauze XR Pro(MIL-SPEC Kits contain QuikClot Combat Gauze MIL)
    1x Compressed Gauze
    1x Mylar Blanket
    Polycarbonate Eyeshield (current USMC issue eye shield and is recommended by the Committee on Tactical Casualty Combat Care)
    1 x Ten Tac Med Tips Assessment Card (NEW ITEM)

:yesway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Of the two most compact TQ options, would you go for RATS or SWAT? Some may argue about either's effectiveness, but to me even significantly reducing the bleeding until better trained (I've done several Wilderness FA classes that included triage for multiple victims as well as CPR) and equipped personnel arrive is better than not carrying one at all, which is the current situation.

RATS seems the easiest to self-apply and smallest but I think that also limits its usefulness. SWAT's width should help effectiveness or it can act as pressure bandage. I'd think it could still be used on kids, etc.

I carry the SWAT in my ankle kit and have a second one in my EDC bag.
    I have no probblem self applying it to either arm, either legs.It takes some practice but I find it easier to apply than the SOFT and I can do it faster than with the SOFT.
    Especially on my own arm I always have trouble locking the windlass on the SOFT.
    Plus with the SWAT T you don't get a bad pintching when you apply it.

All commercially sold tourniquets work.They all have pros and cons and not everybody will like the same one.

The CAT and SOFT were designed as combat tourniquets, meaning they are designed to be used mainly on large adults.
    I think the RATS was invented by a combat medic who had trouble applying the CAT on kids.
    It works well for skinny folks, kids, old folks and even pets.

I keep the SOFT in the car because I find it too bulky and more difficult to apply than the SWAT.

Top Bottom