• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just ordered a 629 with a 4" barrel. I am wanting to plink for fun and carry while hunting and hiking, especially when going out west. I have no desire for full bore loads, just enough to have fun. I was thinking of loading 200 gr bullets, but open to go up or down. I have read that most people love 240 gr and that seems to have the most variety. I was thinking of the XTPs for carry ammo and lead for plinking. Looking for some good advice.
    What are your favorite loads?
    Jacketed or cast? (I will be buying, not casting myself)
    I have 44 mag cases. If I want to load Spl loads should look at Spl data and add .5 gr or so to make up the extra space? Or should I just start at Mag data and work down until I reach Spc velocities?
    Any other tips or experiences would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I load 6.5g of clays (not international clays) behind a 240 grain plated bullet for a plinking load in a Rossi 92. It is fairly accurate and CHEAP.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just use spl., loads ..... They are VERY light in a Mag., size revolver .....

I use "data" between spl., and mag., loads, for more recoil .....

Just stay safe, and experiment ..... DO NOT DOUBLE Charge .....

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Another question.....

i use use a taper crimp when loading for my single shot 44 rifle. If I was loading hot loads, I'm sure I would definitely want a roll crimp. What about light to medium loads? Would a taper crimp be enough for a revolver or should I get a roll crimp die? Would that depend on the type of bullet I use? Ok, I know. That more than one question! Thanks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The others' suggestions are right on.
    As a suggestion, it would probably behoove you to have a canister of good ol' Alliant Unique on hand.
    You can load it all the way from meek, to medium, to hot and not have to worry.
    Just stay away from reduced loads with W296/H110 unless you want to risk a kaboom, as that particular powder should only be reduced to no more than 10% below max.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't get the H110 kaboom comment. Reducing H110 beyond min will result in failure to ignite the powder vs. a kaboom. At least based on my results (yeah I thought I knew better than the manual).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Don't get the H110 kaboom comment. Reducing H110 beyond min will result in failure to ignite the powder vs. a kaboom. At least based on my results (yeah I thought I knew better than the manual).

There's at least one guy who posted photos of a Ruger Super Blackhawk that was indeed blown up by a mistakenly underloaded charge of H110.
    Here is one of the threads that discuss it, but sadly the guy who had this blowup (17squirrel) got shootered a bit after this thread.- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../410636-best-357-mag-powder-cold-weather.html
    This particular blowup wasn't with H110, but 2400, but the circumstances are similar.
    The photos:
    attachment.php

attachment.php

It may not have happened to you, but if you roll the dice enough times, they can eventually come up snake eyes.
    There are far better powders out there that can be used for reduced loads in magnum revolvers much better and more safely.
    Not trying to lecture; just not wanting you to compromise any of your fingers or other body parts.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    With many revolvers, especially Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk series, under loading is far more dangerous than over loading. I would sooner use a 44 spl load in a 44 spl case than a 44 spl load in a 44 mag case. Load densities under 50% are too likely to dismantle your revolver.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    No crimp needed, for light loads ..... The Heavy crimp. is to keep the bullet from backing out during recoil .....

In addition, the heavy roll crimp helps slow burning powders ignite properly, burn clean and consistent, and most importantly - safely

The others' suggestions are right on.
    As a suggestion, it would probably behoove you to have a canister of good ol' Alliant Unique on hand.
    You can load it all the way from meek, to medium, to hot and not have to worry.
    Just stay away from reduced loads with W296/H110 unless you want to risk a kaboom, as that particular powder should only be reduced to no more than 10% below max.

There's at least one guy who posted photos of a Ruger Super Blackhawk that was indeed blown up by a mistakenly underloaded charge of H110.
    Here is one of the threads that discuss it, but sadly the guy who had this blowup (17squirrel) got shootered a bit after this thread.- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../410636-best-357-mag-powder-cold-weather.html
    This particular blowup wasn't with H110, but 2400, but the circumstances are similar.
    The photos:
    attachment.php

attachment.php

It may not have happened to you, but if you roll the dice enough times, they can eventually come up snake eyes.
    There are far better powders out there that can be used for reduced loads in magnum revolvers much better and more safely.
    Not trying to lecture; just not wanting you to compromise any of your fingers or other body parts.

Listen to oldpink - he knows of what he speaks.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have LilGun that is use for my 44 rifle and TiteGroup. I have read several people using TG. Like the idea of it as I can use a lot less powder that LilGun. I know to be careful and not double or triple charge. I will also probably pick up some Unique as that seems to be very popular. Thanks for the suggestions and warnings. Keep them coming as you can never be too careful.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have LilGun that is use for my 44 rifle and TiteGroup. I have read several people using TG. Like the idea of it as I can use a lot less powder that LilGun. I know to be careful and not double or triple charge. I will also probably pick up some Unique as that seems to be very popular. Thanks for the suggestions and warnings. Keep them coming as you can never be too careful.

No problem.
    The only issue you might have with Unique may be trying to locate it because it's so popular that it can be a real chore to find any in stock.
    Its versatility is the reason for its popularity, of course.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Oldpink is spot on about Unique, an excellent and versatile powder. Been loading 240 grain cast on top of 8 grains of Unique since 1976 for my 44 mags.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Does anyone know what kind of difference there is in recoil between 240 gr and 200 gr. I use 158 gr in my 38 with less powder for a "soft" plinking load. Would there be much difference in using 240gr with less powder vs 200 gr with a little more powder? I mean is there one that would be more pleasant to shoot at the range?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Does anyone know what kind of difference there is in recoil between 240 gr and 200 gr. I use 158 gr in my 38 with less powder for a "soft" plinking load. Would there be much difference in using 240gr with less powder vs 200 gr with a little more powder? I mean is there one that would be more pleasant to shoot at the range?

To be honest, I couldn't really feel much difference between the two when shooting either a 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter or the 240 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity, both with a maximum charge of H110 from my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt.
    In fact, I actually broke the aluminum grip frame on my Blackhawk from the recoil while shooting the 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters, necessitating me sending it in to Ruger to have a steel grip frame fitted to it.
    However, moving up to the 300 grain Hornady XTP or the same weight Speer soft point is a rather intense experience, although still not painful.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Don't over think this! :D
    Absolute minimum recoil: Trailboss and whatever the cheapest bullet you can find. Great for getting to know the gun.
    Light to med: Pick whatever handgun powder you currently have, find some load data, and use the same bullets as above. I like Unique.
    Light-Heavy, carry, hunting: Any decent 240gr bullet, cheap cast on up to XTP, and 18gr of 2400. 2400 is great. I love H110/296, but it's not really needed very often. You can bump 2400 up a little if you think you want more, but this is a great working load. This is my go-to for any 44 loading session.
    Full on heavy: 300-310gr Hard cast over a full case of H110. This load has produced stellar accuracy out of my Blackhawk.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    I really like Titegroup. However,

I have seen pressure signs when I use max TiteGroup loads. It is known for being spiky. That is, it gets to a point and the pressure begins to rise rapidly. You MUST look for primer issues and cases sticking from expansion. Work your loads up from minimum !

I would be cautious about deep seating bullets, which can cause increased pressure as well.
    I would be cautious about even changing from SPP to a magnum primer.

Top Bottom