• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've been considering an aluminum frame for my trusted 1991A1 Compact that I'vecarried for years. I love everything about the pistol except the weight. At the last 1500 I picked up a Colt Lightweight Officers and was suprised at just how much lighter it is.

Would it be worth it to locate an aluminum frame for this pistol? Would the weight savings be noticeable?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It should be about a 10oz saving, not insignificant. I don't see why you couldn't mate your upper to a ltwt receiver and be able to swap out as you need to.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    You would probably be best served selling the gun you don't like and buying an aluminum framed handgun that you do like.

Or drill speed holes.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You would probably be best served selling the gun you don't like and buying an aluminum framed handgun that you do like.

Or drill speed holes.

What he said. Or better yet, keep it and buy another 1911 with an aluminum frame. All my 1911's are aluminum frames and when I recently picked up a RIA compact I could not believe how heavy the thing is.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What he said. Or better yet, keep it and buy another 1911 with an aluminum frame. All my 1911's are aluminum frames and when I recently picked up a RIA compact I could not believe how heavy the thing is.

I disagree, I think he could get a ltwt frame set up for substantially less than what a new colt officers ltwt model would cost. Lightweights generally cost more than all steel versions so if he sold his he's still looking at out of pocket expense. All he would need is a frame and refinish, he has all the parts he needs for the frame.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Kimber has polymer mainspring housings for a reason...

If it has a full length guide rod, ditch that set up for the traditional stubby guide rod and plug. Then buy a polymer mainspring housing, or aluminum.

Get some slim grips or lighter ones, preferably G10 or any other light weight material, start replacing all non-load bearing parts with aluminum or titanium. A lighter hammer, and a lighter trigger can also add up to a tiny amount of weight loss, just make sure your spring weights compensate for it.

Small things add up fast. My full sized 5" kimber weighs the same as my glock 23 with both fully loaded, with the mentioned changes. And it's an all stainless steel gun.

I suppose if you want to go more radical and if it isn't already done, you can open up the holes in the frame under the grips as well. Just use some common sense regarding how far you go. I'm not very familiar with the compact 1911's operation, so the mentioned mods may not be applicable.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I disagree, I think he could get a ltwt frame set up for substantially less than what a new colt officers ltwt model would cost. Lightweights generally cost more than all steel versions so if he sold his he's still looking at out of pocket expense. All he would need is a frame and refinish, he has all the parts he needs for the frame.
    Of course, depending on the make and specifics of the frame he gets, he might have to do some fitting to match the frame to the slide, or the take-off frame parts to the frame. That may require tools he would have to borrow or buy. If he can't do the fitting work himself, he would have to hire a gunsmith to do it. He'll need to make sure that the frame is Series 80, or hack those parts out of his slide.

You're right that he'd be looking at some out of pocket expense if he sold his gun and bought a new one, but he's going to have plenty of out of pocket expense if he buys a lightweight frame and goes through that process too and I find it hard to believe it would be cheaper.

All in all, it seems to me that if he wants to build one, he'd be better served with building one up from scratch (i.e. using the pre-fitted frame/slide combos you can get from Fusion, Wilson, etc). If not, he'd be better served buying a new gun outright. What he does with his existing gun is up to him but any which way he cuts it he'll have to spend some cash.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

[FONT=&quot]I don't want to sound condescending [/FONT]but I don't think you realize how much trouble it would be to "fit" a new frame to the slide on a 1911 or what the cost would be in the end.. Fitting a new frame to your existing slide and barrel is not a lot easier than building a complete pistol from parts.
    Get a new one like you want or trade the one you have for what you want.. Just my :twocents:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    [FONT=&quot]I don't want to sound condescending [/FONT]but I don't think you realize how much trouble it would be to "fit" a new frame to the slide on a 1911 or what the cost would be in the end.. Fitting a new frame to your existing slide and barrel is not a lot easier than building a complete pistol from parts.
    Get a new one like you want or trade the one you have for what you want.. Just my :twocents:

You're kidding right, you must not have seen any of my posts. I don't want to be condescending but I only did 1911 work since about 1995 and over ten years professionally so I know exactly whats involved. With the liberal tolerances on Colt parts I don't think that there would be too much fitting necessary. Unless it was a pistolsmith that was trying to hose him the cost would not be that outrageous if he couldn't do it himself. A good point was made that it would have to be series 80 cut and i'm not sure if any of the current mfg's that make alloy frames right now offer that so in the end it may be a moot point. Justy my :twocents:

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Kimber has polymer mainspring housings for a reason...

If it has a full length guide rod, ditch that set up for the traditional stubby guide rod and plug. Then buy a polymer mainspring housing, or aluminum.

Get some slim grips or lighter ones, preferably G10 or any other light weight material, start replacing all non-load bearing parts with aluminum or titanium. A lighter hammer, and a lighter trigger can also add up to a tiny amount of weight loss, just make sure your spring weights compensate for it.

Small things add up fast. My full sized 5" kimber weighs the same as my glock 23 with both fully loaded, with the mentioned changes. And it's an all stainless steel gun.

I suppose if you want to go more radical and if it isn't already done, you can open up the holes in the frame under the grips as well. Just use some common sense regarding how far you go. I'm not very familiar with the compact 1911's operation, so the mentioned mods may not be applicable.

Those are good ideas. You are right the little things do add up fast.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm not selling it. Just looking for ideas on saving some weight. With my recent surgery I didn't realize just how heavy it was hanging off my pants. The .38 Rossi has been filling in as edc. I'm sure there will be more condescending comments about that pistol choice. Sorry my colt isnt perfect by some standards, but after 2500 trouble free rounds over the last 12 years, I'll likely go to be grave with this one.

Thanks for the advice from those that were trying to help.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You're kidding right, you must not have seen any of my posts. I don't want to be condescending but I only did 1911 work since about 1995 and over ten years professionally so I know exactly whats involved. With the liberal tolerances on Colt parts I don't think that there would be too much fitting necessary. Unless it was a pistolsmith that was trying to hose him the cost would not be that outrageous if he couldn't do it himself. A good point was made that it would have to be series 80 cut and i'm not sure if any of the current mfg's that make alloy frames right now offer that so in the end it may be a moot point. Justy my :twocents:

Not kidding at all.. YOU obviously have the ability to fit a frame,slide and a barrel on a 1911 but a huge percentage of people that own them can't completely disassemble them or from what I read in a post on INGO just yesterday, reassemble them without indexing the slide stop up the frame. I've had people come to me with Glocks that didn't know how to remove the barrel for cleaning. Some guys are just shooters. There's nothing wrong with that but I don't think fitting all the parts into a 1911 frame and fitting the frame to the slide is project for most shooters I know. I don't know what kind of experience bobzilla has but I was just saying IMHO it's not the same thing as swapping a new frame on to a Glock. If you bought a decent frame and then paid someone a reasonable rate to fit it I think you would have more money in the project than just buying a pistol with an aluminum frame.. I wasn't trying to "dis" anyone, just giving an somewhat educated guess to a guy about what he was walking into. :dunno:
    Fusion sells a 70 series commander aluminum frame for less than $250.
    Frame 1911 Commander,Al ALLOY Forged -Checkered
    Maybe that would serve bobzillas purpose? I wish him the best of luck on the project. :ingo:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Me, I'm learning. Mine got its "idiot mark" 12 years ago during my first disassembly. Sure doesn't bother the function in the least bit. I asked this question BECAUSE I don't already know all the answers.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm happy to see anyone wanting to start such a project. :) It's a learning experience and that's nearly always a good thing. None of us know all the answers.. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just trying to make you aware of some of the possible pitfalls. Getting another 1911 with an alloy frame sounds like the best idea.. Nearly everyone I know needs at least one more or at least think they do.:D

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would like a lighter carry one and a full size still. Sadly my budget allows me a box of ammo as long as it's not from Don's.

I appreciate your input. I do NOT appreciate the derogatory, non- helpful comments on my choice of firearm. I don't car if it was made in ****Uintheassistan, this has been a fantastic weapon tha has never failed to go boom when you pull the trigger.If I wanted to be told to buy a glock I'd ask what weapon do I personally not feel comfortable with.

Top Bottom