• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm getting the last few parts for 2 rifles I'm wanting to build as reliable lightweight rifles.

I intended on just going for normal full size bcgs after advice on here but some videos and searches later and I see some people mentioning that as long as I use an adjustable gas block and proper buffer weight it wouldn't cause cycling issues even with cheapo ammo without a suppressor.

I do plan on running them both suppressed but one is in jail for at least a year as I just did the paperwork and haven't ordered the other. So if I have to change things later I will.

But for now would it be a bad idea to run a titanium bcg in the 5.56 rifle thats around 4 ounces lighter than a mil spec?

I ordered a SLR titanium adjustable block and it's going on a mid length gas Faxon barrel.

Buffer I still haven't ordered as I don't really know what weight I should get because I still might get a titanium bcg instead of using the AP ones I have on hand.

I want to do basically the same thing with the 308 as well but that'll probably be another thread. I'm still debating going 18 or 20" over 16 on the barrel.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Unless you're going for the lightest set up possible then the standard BCG and standard weight SLR AGB will be fine. You'll be tuning the gas system so BCG weight isn't going to matter much. Same goes for the buffer. Just use a standard carbine buffer. Going heavier on the buffer just delays unlocking of the bolt and increases dwell time. I have several SLR AGBs that I use in conjunction with suppressors. I run them 8 clicks out from fully closed position. That still gives me reliable function without a suppressor and with underpowered wolf steel case. That should tell you how overgassed most barrels are

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Unless you're going for the lightest set up possible then the standard BCG and standard weight SLR AGB will be fine. You'll be tuning the gas system so BCG weight isn't going to matter much. Same goes for the buffer. Just use a standard carbine buffer. Going heavier on the buffer just delays unlocking of the bolt and increases dwell time. I have several SLR AGBs that I use in conjunction with suppressors. I run them 8 clicks out from fully closed position. That still gives me reliable function without a suppressor and with underpowered wolf steel case. That should tell you how overgassed most barrels are
    But what if I go for the titanium lightweight bcg? It only saves around 4 ounces but I might just go for it anyways.

Should I get a H1 still or can I go even lighter and use the gas block probably?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    But what if I go for the titanium lightweight bcg? It only saves around 4 ounces but I might just go for it anyways.

Should I get a H1 still or can I go even lighter and use the gas block probably?
    You can run whatever you like. You'll be adjusting gas flow with the block. So if you go light on reciprocating mass then you'll need less gas to cycle the gun. Same goes for the buffer weight. Generally folks put titanium parts on rifles with the goal of getting the gun as light as possible.

Top Bottom