Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    An alternative to the previous design

picture.php

When disassembled, 3 will fit in a bag this size.

picture.php

I don't recommend gluing pvc unless necessary. It is much easier to replace a damaged part. If you must, try something that isn't permanent.

Thanks Lilratt, I will start here I think. I need to do something asap as I blew apart my steel rod target holder last sunday.

BTW, it was good to meet you in person at Riley!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks Lilratt, I will start here I think. I need to do something asap as I blew apart my steel rod target holder last sunday.

Techres,
    If you're going to use the PVC/wood slat design for the hanging steels, you'll probably want to glue at least the bottom pieces together. When the steel is hit and starts to swing a bit, it might cause the uprights to tilt over if the tee fittngs under the wood slats are not glued.

I have some steel tripod stands (from Marion County Fish and Game) that you are welcome to borrow to get you by until your final designs are built.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I’ve been using these target stands on a home range for a few years now. After posting pictures of a wood stand I recently built to hold a steel plate (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...stand_for_long_distance_steel.html#post807504) some fellow INGOers asked that I post more about the portable stands.

I wanted a stand that was easy to move, weather resistant, easy to build, and not too costly. I settled on PVC bases because they met my criteria.

Target stand with new backer board
    2s0d0dj.jpg

Backside of the stand
    dwrkzk.jpg

Target base
    2v7unih.jpg

The base starts as a 10’ section of 1.5” PVC. Cut that into 8 pieces each 15” long. I used a table saw to cut the pipe, but most any saw will work. It’s nice to have the ends cut square, but not an absolute requirement. Clean any burrs off the cut ends.

You’ll also need the following 1.5” PVC fittings:
    4 elbows
    2 tees

When gluing PVC, you first spread cleaner on the outside of the pipe and inside of the fitting. Then spread glue on both surfaces and push them together. Hold the pieces together for about 10-15 seconds and it’s good to go. Work one joint at a time. If you’re unsure about how to glue joints, there are many websites with instructions. Here’s one: HOW TO CUT AND GLUE PVC PIPE

I started by gluing the elbows on the pieces that form the outer part of the base. Then I glued the three straight pieces into each tee, and then I glued the tee assemblies to the outer parts taking care that the upright portions of the target stand pointed straight up. It’s helpful to make some pencil marks on the pipe to show how it should align. With PVC glue, you only get one chance! Let the glue joints dry 2-3 hours before using them.

PVC Cleaner and Glue
    2s13vhh.jpg

One final trick. I drill four 3/16” holes in the bottom of the pipes to let water drain that might get in around the upright section of pipe.

The upright sticks I ripped from 2x4s and 2x6s I had around. They are 1.5” wide and about ½” thick. They’re just thick enough to go into the PVC pipe but not wobble around.

The backer boards I use are ¼” thick poster material with Styrofoam sandwiched in-between. They were used posters I got from work. They have some weather resistance and will hold paper targets on with staples. Cardboard sheets would also work, though they will sag and warp when rained on. Thin sheets of wood might also do. The backer boards are held on with stainless steel bolts, fender washers, and wingnuts. The bolts in the picture are longer than they need to be. I was originally going a different direction with my stands and bought longer bolts.

Wingnut detail
    ipph86.jpg

Here’s what they look like after some range time. This backer was used at last Fall’s “You Suck, It’s Not the Gun” class. This one still has lots of life left in it.

Used Target
    iqfsx4.jpg

I keep extra sticks and backer boards on-hand that have pre-drilled holes for quick replacement.

The upright sticks come out of the base for transport. Several bases will ‘nest’ together and take up less space in your trunk. These target stands can be transported, but they are still bulky. The other minor downside is their light weight. Moderate winds will blow them over or require you to weigh down the bases. I’ve never had them blow over while I’m at the range.

If the PVC bases don’t work for you, I’ve seen metal stands like this onethat work well. http://speedwelltargets.com/cart/images/speedwell/stalps.jpg

Good luck and happy shooting!

I have talked with tyler34 about making these to start running our own little 'courses of fire' and practice moving and non static stuff. Great post!

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Techres,
    If you're going to use the PVC/wood slat design for the hanging steels, you'll probably want to glue at least the bottom pieces together. When the steel is hit and starts to swing a bit, it might cause the uprights to tilt over if the tee fittngs under the wood slats are not glued.

No doubt. These were designed for USPSA.

For Steel, I have a set of the H design square steel bases, 2" X 4"s and hangers. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

For Highpower practice at 100 yards, I use a design similar to lovemywoods', but the frame is all pvc with interchangeable legs for different heights.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    For the Lovemywoods version: I would offset the "T's" and leave them unglued and shorten the vertical pipes so that the T's will rotate and "nest" flat for transport. 4 bolts with wingnuts would go through the horizontal portion of the T's (and the pipe inside) to hold them vertical when in use or nested flat for travel. This assumes the offset would not effect this stability of the stand.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Here is one of the Steel bases

picture.php

The target hangers are simply pieces of the 2" X 4" steel with bolts in both front and back faces. The ends of the bolts were cut off and formed into hooks. They were recently tacked to prevent them from spinning in the hanger so I can't take a pic yet.

I didn't think of it at the time, but a much simpler solution would have been to drill a hole in the 2" X 4" from front to back and then use threaded stock with a nut on each end of the 2" X 4". The front of the stock having a bit of a hook to hang the steel from.

Top Bottom