• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Any of you use lilgun for 357 mag rifle loads? Im finding a lot of contradicting opinions out there for this usage. Hodgdon does not have the load data on their website at this time, but apparently some manuals had data for it. Id like to use it with the hornady 140 ftx

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    High vel. low pressure, sounds like a great combo in the 357. I have used it in 44 mag and it does well. I have used it in the 222 and it has been great in some 22 hornet. Meters well easy to use.

I also know a few who lil gun is the go to powder for the 357. I am sure it is on the data sheets and loads from the maker.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Lil'Gun loads are listed for 357 under pistol loads on the Hodgdon website. I use those for rifle and they work great.

Thanks, I could have sworn that I checked that already but apparently I didn't. I see the data now. They start at 158gr and higher, so im not sure how well that will work for me with the 140gr ftx in the shortened case, but at least I've got some creditable data to start with.

Encore460Mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Huntingburg
    I use 18.0g lilgun in my handi rifle in .357 mag with 158g xtp,chrono this load at 2000fps plus,dont use in my pistols just rifle,is the max load in hodgen reloading magazine.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's interesting...I would think Li'l Gun would be a nearly ideal powder in this combination, but there isn't any data listed for the 140gr FTX. I wonder if it was included in the FTX Load Notes that Hornady had online for a while?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I use it in my wife's Marlin 1894 CS loads. I hurls a 158gr XTP @ 2100fps using Brian Pearce's data from Rifle Magazine. It is a bit over the book load from Hodgdon but there are no pressure signs from my firearm. YMMV

This puts that load at the bottom end of 35Rem performance and ought to do just about any task that can be thought of here in Indiana.

Now, that being said, I do not use Lil' Gun in revolvers. There have been some serious reports of premature firearm failures when doing so. I AM NOT saying that they are true, I just don't want to find out if it is on any of my firearms! ;)

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    That's interesting...I would think Li'l Gun would be a nearly ideal powder in this combination, but there isn't any data listed for the 140gr FTX. I wonder if it was included in the FTX Load Notes that Hornady had online for a while?

I've got a copy of that data saved, and its not mentioned in there. I started looking at lilgun because none of the data that hornady shared was as fast as their factory produced leverevolution rounds.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I shot some of my first reloads using Lilgun powder today. I started light at 16gr, but even at that charge my point of impact was back where it was with the factory Leverevolution rounds (my point of impact was lower using a max charge of AA#9), and has noticeably more oomph. I'm using my empty Hornady cases (so i didn't have to shorten any) so I didn't have a lot of rounds to play with, but I worked up to 16.8gr with no problems thus far. Time for more powder!

Other spec's Federal SMP Primer and shot from a Henry rifle

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    1 Buck Chuck,

Any chance you know how fast the LE rounds were shootin' and you can compare that with what your Li'l Gun loads are coming out at? If the POI is back up, you might be in the sweet spot already?

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Now, that being said, I do not use Lil' Gun in revolvers. There have been some serious reports of premature firearm failures when doing so. I AM NOT saying that they are true, I just don't want to find out if it is on any of my firearms! ;)

My SRH chambered in .480, has close to 1,000 rounds of 400gr LFP loaded over 20gr of Lil-gun through it with no problems.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Well, all I can say is the folks at Freedom Arms are warning against it. They build some really tough firearms in some huge calibers. That is all I know and that was enough for me not to use it in mine. ;)

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I use it in my Marlin 1894 and so far it works great. I have used 4227, h110 and Lilgun and right now LG is my go to powder. It meters better than 110 and at 17 gr with 158 jsp is very accurate. I did go up to 18 but it looked like i was getting pressure signs with the primer flowing around the firing pin so I backed off. It is also more accurate at 17 gr. I also shot some of these through my S&W 686 5" and at 25 yards with three shots all holes were touching. Never had a chance to use it in the field on game though.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Last night, just for giggles, I pulled apart one of the factory Hornady Leverevolution rounds. They put 15.5gr of mystery powder in there for what that is worth. It looked a lot more like AA#9 than anything else I've got but its probably something proprietary.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I shot some more reloads today, and tried out my new cronograph. Factory leverevolution rounds were 1560 to 1640 out of my Henry today. I started with. 16.8gr of lilgun and they were coming out around 1650 or so. I worked all the way up to 17.4 grains without a much change in velocity, and there was quit a bit of variation, they all were with 1640 to 1680. Then I got to 17.5, and velocity went up quit a bit. I only had 3 rounds loaded at that charge, but they measured 1780, 1784, and 1783. Ill have to try some more at that charge and check accuracy

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Yeah, I thought it was weird too. Full disclosure, that was my first time using a chrony. There's some flow around the fireing pin, but it had that at 16gr, and its not gotten any worse. For what its worth, the factory rounds have primer flow too.

Top Bottom