• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Troy, you are tracking right. Class starts at 0900. Without looking at what you are seeing, yes, that is probably the place. Its the Kilsoqua boatramp and camping access road. We park back in the Youth camping lot and walk in.

I will get eyes on closer to the time. That area is subject to flooding and PACE planning dictates having a couple alternate locations.

Russ
    Russ,

Good on the time. I'll look forward to hearing from you once time draws closer re: the details.

Thanks,

Troy

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    teddy12b,

This class is not full. There is space available. The group size currently will lend itself to lots of learning, lots of hands on, lots of one on one attention, and more time for extra learning opportunities. This is going to be a great class. Weather looks perfect. The terrain we will be working is excellent, even with a bit of flooding to hinder our bug out movement. I am stoked.

Come join us.

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    AAR Bug Out 101 - Huntington, IN 19/20 March 2011

The following has been taken from getoffthex.com

"The next best thing to knowing is knowing how to find out." - Samuel Johnson

Bug Out 101 as taught by Russ Kolkman is "... how you find out" re: hands-on application, under stress, concerning developing a solid understanding of survival skills, including mindset, evasion and escape planning, wilderness first aid, fire starting, shelter building, foraging, water procurement/treatment, emergency signaling, gear selection/evaluation and basic land navigation.

Mr. Johnson was right, having now done those things and thereby starting down the path of beginning to know them; it is indeed "the best thing."

Much appreciation to Russ for his well developed capabilities as an instructor, for modeling the outlook of a lifelong learner and for the enormous value and relevancy of the skills per above. Thanks too to fellow classmates Tony, Angie and Paul. Working with 'switched on' folks greatly enriches the learning experience. Thanks be to to God for the exceedingly fine weather and route conditions.

My sixth Tactical Response class. Quality foundations are built via quality building standards. Tactical Response: Building up good citizens since 1996.

Much more later after a good scrub-n-chow.

Troy

Thanks Troy. You guys did great. The weather was awesome (too friggin nice) but just a little cold at night, so if you packed light, or had holes in your shelter, you knew it.

Here's some pics of the surviors.

Wilderness medical, shelter building, water procurement, fire building and do it all over again the next day for the final X.

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

O.k., feeling more rested/fed now ... onto the 5 Ws and the H, (i.e.), Who, What, When, Where, Why and How.

Who:
    Instructor: Russ Kolkman
    Students: Paul, Tony & Angie and myself (Troy)

What: Bug Out 101 per ... http://www.tacticalresponse.co...urse.php?courseID=91

BugOut 101
    16 Hours / $400

Details:
    BugOut 101

This will be another Tactical Response class that will leave people amazed at what they can learn in two days. The purpose of this class is to teach you about the mindset, tactics, skill and gear that you need to get somewhere in a disaster or emergency. It may be that you need to get home from work after a natural disaster has theft the roads damaged or that you have had to flee your home.

We will travel 6-8 miles in 2 days at a slow pace with rest stops/teaching points along the way. This will not be a terribly demanding class but you should be able to walk with your pack on a few miles in slightly hilly terrain to attend this class. If you are not ready right now for a Bugout then you are not ready for this class. Use this as your motivation to get into fighting shape!

Some of the MANY topics covered will include Bugout planning, finding and treating water, wilderness first aid and trauma care, land navigation, shelter construction, fire building, procuring food, signals, getting found vs. staying hidden, escape and evasion movement considerations, basic E&E field craft, plus a myriad of smaller topics and plenty of hands on lessons and challenges.

Although we will be in a group in this class it will be an individual effort. What that means is that you will carry your own food, get your own water, and build your own shelter along with many other lessons. This will not be a team event.

There is a “Disaster Preparedness” forum on www.GetOffTheX.com that we highly recommend you read. It is also a great place to ask questions about the class and the gear.

Equipment List:
    This is the minimum you should bring. You can bring anything extra you wish.

•Your daily carry gear (whatever you have on you right now)
    •Broken in boots-hiking or trail type
    •2 pair socks (smart wool, Wigwam, Therlos, or similar)
    •Clothing suitable for the weather (fleece or wool upper, shirt, pants)
    •Base Layer (Poly Pro, Under Armor, etc) Avoid Cotton
    •Insulated wind and water resistant jacket
    •Cold weather Hat and gloves
    •Rain gear or Rain Poncho
    •Back Pack suitable to carry your gear
    •Gore-Tex bivvy (sleeping bag cover) OR a 8x6 section of tarp or similar
    •Sleeping bag rated to 30 degrees or lower
    •Space blanket
    •2 contractor trash bags or 55 gallon drum liners
    •25 feet (or more) of 550 parachute cord (mil-spec 7 strand)
    •Water Carrier (Nalgene, Camelbak, Canteen, etc)
    •Headlamp OR flashlight w/ extra batteries
    •2500 calories of compact trail food: stripped MREs, Cliff/Power bars, trail mix
    •First aid kit (Boo-Boo Kit or similar) AND a Blow-Out Kit (VOK or similar)
    •Sharp knife OR multi-tool with a knife -at least 2.5 inches
    •Oil Filled Compass (USGI or Silva - basic orienteering type)
    •Toilet paper-half roll, smashed down and inside a zip lock bag
    •Wooden matches in a waterproof case OR a Bic lighter
    •Notepad (Rite-in-Rain)
    •Pencil or pen

When: Sat., March 19, 2011 ~9:00 a.m. e.d.t. to Sun., March 20, 2011 ~2:00 p.m. e.d.t.

Where: 'Nearabouts the Markle State Recreation Area between Huntington, IN and Markle, IN

Why: Not learning how to move and thrive in the open seems a bit like living on a planet whose surface is 75+ % water and not knowing how to swim. It seems like an open invitation to trouble. Plus, seeing the privations being endured by the Japanese since the March 11 earthquake near Honshu has heightened the impetus for learning these skills as a U.S. Midwesterner living near the New Madrid fault.

How: Classroom = woods. Teacher = Russ Kolkman, fully 'been-there-done-that-continues-to-do-so-and-can-productively-convey-the-same' certified.

See the earlier very fine After-Action-Reports, (i.e.), (AARs), from the December 2010 iteration of this class concerning curriculum specifics per http://getoffthex.com/eve/foru...4133001#911004133001

My takeaways ...

*.) An abiding sense of confidence that I can see to the critical needs of food, clothing, hygiene, first aid, shelter and water despite not having a roof over my head.

*.) When you learn the steps of 'how-to it gives your mind something a.) supremely useful and b.) calming on which to focus amid troubles. Like a nourishing and comforting recepie. Do the steps and you'll be "fed" well.

*.) In training, get in the habit of leaving a "travel plan", like a flight plan, with rangers, friends and/or family. List the location of your exercise area, your start and finish dates/times, how someone looking for you could identify you by appearence and gear. Include other pertinent info. like the date/time when folks should grow concerned about you and start searching. Be sure to notify all parties once you're home safe-n-sound.

*.) Russ is two years my junior and about twenty plus years my superior in weight and fitness. I need to continue to work out, eat right, get good sleep and lose weight to my AMA recommended target weight for height and age. Funny how when most of us talk gear we overlook the most fundamental piece, (i.e.), our own bodies.

*.) "Log cabin" configuration beats "Tee Pee" configuration for starting fires. The former provides better air flow to the nascent flames and mitigates the problem of fuel collapsing in on itself and thereby potentially smothering the fire.

*.) "Staw wood", (i.e.), the very smallest diameter of wood available out on the very tips of dead limbs, is critical to starting a sustainable fire. Get as much "staw wood" as time and circumstances allow. Additionally, you must have enough of each progressively larger diameter of wood near the fire to enable you to go and get more wood. Otherwise, you've painted yourself into a corner in which you can't afford to leave the fire for more wood. That fire will then die and you're back to gathering more wood, (i.e.), wasting the earlier effort and what may be precious energy necessary to survive. To my thinking the size order is "staw" diameter, 1/2 "pencil" diameter, "pencil" diameter, "index finger" diameter and on up in a similar progression up to fireplace sized logs if you can find them.

*.) A light pair of utility gloves reduces small injuries to your hands when gathering camp resources or generally doing things, (e.g.), wood, bedding materials, setting up your shelter, etc. Such a reduction in small injuries reduces the chances of wound infection, mitigates distraction from such annoyances and thereby improves your mood.

*.) A light 'wickable/fast-drying base layer, topped by an insulating layer, followed by a vapor-permeable/waterproof/water-resistant layer is the way to go. With such you can layer for nearly any weather conditions you may find yourself in.

*.) A good vapor-permeable/waterproof bivvy sack, (e.g.), Gore-tex (tm), and a cold temp rated sleeing bag, I'd suggest 20 degrees F or better, (i.e.), rated for even colder temps., are an excellent light-weight combo. Pairing them with a waterproof poncho which can double as a shelter roof further ensures staying dry and warm.

*.) Where ever possible, try to avoid 'uni-taskers, (i.e.), things that only do one thing. Instead try to take gear from which multiple uses can be derived, (e.g.), the waterproof poncho mentioned above also acting as a shelter roof and/or bedding material gathering sack. Think Santa and his pack full of 'goodies. Doing so saves on space and weight, both of which come at a premium in a Bug Out situation.

*.) If possible, being able to Bug Out with a like-minded, well-trained, good humored group is optimal. As the old saying goes, "A burden shared is a burden halved.".

*.) P.A.C.E., (i.e.), Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency planning is key for must-have needs. For example, you should have four independent ways in which to create fire. I had four ignition sources: ferro rod, butane lighter, matches in a waterproof case and a small road flare.

*.) To learn what works start by consulting folks who have 'been-there-done-that and continue to do so. Follow-up by getting out in the field and testing your knowledge and gear. Going at least once per season, (i.e.), spring, summer, fall and winter, in your most likely area-of-operations is a good starting point. Go more often if at all possible.

*.) Routinely inspect and service/clean your gear at home so that if/when the time comes you have the peace-of-mind that what you have will be there for you when you need it most. For example, are you sure that waterproof clothing layer is still precisely that? Put it on and go stand under a cold water shower in your bathroom and make sure.

*.) Having exceptional weather was in some ways a mixed blessing. Pro: You're infintely more comfortable. Con: You aren't experiencing conditions which can create a more well-developed mindset amid adversity. The old adage that "It ain't training if it ain't raining" is not simply macho-moto b.s. The folks who did this class in December 2010 near Camden, TN saw rain, snow and sub-freezing temps. Nothing beats that for teaching you the most about your gear and yourself. You most deeply appreciate the meanings of warm and dry only once you've been soaked and cold.

*.) A smaller class size, (i.e.), there were four students in my class to one instructor, is always a more desireable learning environment for the initial aquisition of new skills. Having such ensures more one-on-one per task time between the student and teacher. That having been said, once one has laid down a solid base of individual understanding ... knowing how to put that into action in the dynamic of a larger group has great value as well. Like I said by way of variation before, "Many hands make for light work"; the key is to understand how that changes as the group grows.

*.) It's a shame that more people can't see the point and therefore get excited about training that doesn't involve making things go boom and seeing holes get punched. In the end our gun-handling skills won't be worth much if we don't know what to do to sustain ourselves up to and beyond the 'boomy bits. As such, take classes like Immediate Action Medical and Bug Out 101 and Land Nav and hand-to-hand fighting and Red Cross basics and disaster preparedness, etc., etc., etc. and keep on taking them. Cultivate a love of life-long learning. Make of yourself the most well-rounded citizen you can. Individually and collectively we're all so much better off for it.

Again, this was a genuinely enriching and deeply meaningful class. My great thanks to James and the admin. staff at Tactical Response for making it available, to Russ for his superlative teaching and my fellow classmates Paul, Tony and Angie for their individual insights, helpfulness and good humor.

Take care,

Troy

Top Bottom