• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    I walked into Applied Ballistics Saturday to find that we can't shoot rifle anymore due to someone shooting steel core ammo and damaging equipment (I hope they find the guy and show him why it isn't cheaper to shoot the steel core ammo, with that $5000 repair)

Anyway, I would like a new place to shoot rifle so I was given both Linden and Wildcat Valley.

I live in Lafayette most of the year except during some summer training and I attend Purdue so time is a factor.

Notes:
    Both are exactly 30 minutes from my apartment.
    I know more people at wildcat.
    Wildcat has more range options and a lot of events
    Wildcat is almost triple the cost for the first year
    Wildcat has a joining process that would eat up a lot of time.
    I casual shoot but if I become accurate enough I would consider match.

Basically I like wildcat more but the extra costs and the time to join make it difficult.

So which should I pick?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Wildcat >>>> Lindon. but you have to jump through the hoops. IMO the best club I have ever shot at for range style, general appearance of the range, available types ranges. Great people, as a rule, too.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I walked into Applied Ballistics Saturday to find that we can't shoot rifle anymore due to someone shooting steel core ammo and damaging equipment (I hope they find the guy and show him why it isn't cheaper to shoot the steel core ammo, with that $5000 repair)

Anyway, I would like a new place to shoot rifle so I was given both Linden and Wildcat Valley.

I live in Lafayette most of the year except during some summer training and I attend Purdue so time is a factor.

Notes:
    Both are exactly 30 minutes from my apartment.
    I know more people at wildcat.
    Wildcat has more range options and a lot of events
    Wildcat is almost triple the cost for the first year
    Wildcat has a joining process that would eat up a lot of time.
    I casual shoot but if I become accurate enough I would consider match.

Basically I like wildcat more but the extra costs and the time to join make it difficult.

So which should I pick?

Wow...this is a bummer. I was in there last Thursday.....and they were fixing the broken stuff, including the ventilation system. the jerk really tore the place up. I didn't realize that they were no longer allowing rifles at all.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    When I was at Purdue I joined Linden. It was easier and cheaper and I could shoot more. Almost no events going on, so you can pretty much shoot on your schedule, and don't have to plan your trips around events.

Wildcat is supposed to be MUCH nicer, and a more robust range...never been there. But have heard nothing but good things.

My advice, join Linden and if you start getting proficient and want to compete then look into Wildcat.

Valor35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette
    Been to both. Good people at both places. More shooting options at WV, but fishing and such at Linden. As mentioned above, competitions and high power rifle available at WV.

I currently belong to WV and like it very much.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    Been to both. Good people at both places. More shooting options at WV, but fishing and such at Linden. As mentioned above, competitions and high power rifle available at WV.

Do you know if either allow .50 bmg? I was looking at doing a .50 ar next year?

Also I'm going to go tomorrow to WV to at least check it out.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I have belonged to both. Wildcat Valley is a great club with great members. A little expensive - but offers a lot! Had a few things not happened we would still be Wildcat members - He went from guards to Army, and I had both hips go out.After I had healed from hip replacements, I didn't really feel like going alone for a while.

By the time he was out of the service four or so years later we regretted dropping our membership, but didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get in again. We now belong to the Linden CC. It is a great club, with great people. Do miss WV though - great ranges and miss the 300 YD. Doubt we will make the effort to rejoin WV now though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I was at WV last year watching several action type matches. For the most part, everyone I met was nice. I didn't do any shooting though people offered me their guns if I wanted to try. ( I was a chicken having never done any action shooting.)

If I can get off work a little early( I work in Crawfordsville) I would like to try some skeet and/or trap.

I think I am interested in joining, but not until I know I will use the club. I don't have ammo for most of my guns, so it's of little use at this point in time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Join both!

I'm always saying I'm going to join Wildcat. It's the closest to me of the better shooting facilities, but I just never make it happen.

Top Bottom