• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The market has changed about 4 times since I was last in the market to buy a QUALITY thermoplastic holster.

I'm in the hunt for a QUALITY OWB holster for a gun or 3.

My #1 preference is no longer making OWB holsters (Sad face)

My #2 preference has priced themselves right out of my budget ($95 for a holster!!!!!)

I've been looking at a few of the Comp-Tac offerings as well as Bravo Company.

I've also sent PMs to a couple of INGOers who have been in the business in the recent past - but I've just done that and haven't heard back.

So - who do you buy from? Who should I look into?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To elaborate wit a tad less snark, You get what you pay for. Remember this thread? Its what I got when I didnt want to pay $80 again for a holster. I ended up paying it anyway because I got screwed by cheaping out.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/337301-not-enough-kydex.html
    and the follow up
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...509-1-aliengear-bipolar-customer-service.html

Oh, and your guys at the cheap price point you liked probably got burned out not making anything for their time and gave up.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    To elaborate wit a tad less snark, You get what you pay for. Remember this thread? Its what I got when I didnt want to pay $80 again for a holster. I ended up paying it anyway because I got screwed by cheaping out.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/337301-not-enough-kydex.html
    and the follow up
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...509-1-aliengear-bipolar-customer-service.html

Oh, and your guys at the cheap price point you liked probably got burned out not making anything for their time and gave up.

Agreed. I bought a 40 dollar kydex years ago to save a buck. The gun didnt even slide in so i sent it back. When I got it back it didnt snap into place. Threw it away, so now I have 120 in an 80 dollar holster.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I've even very happy with the quality of my holster and mag pouch from M2B Kydex aka INGO member Slow hand.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dale Fricke Holsters, but don't even go there, his mag pouches probably cost more than the holster price point you are looking for!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Dale Fricke Holsters, but don't even go there, his mag pouches probably cost more than the holster price point you are looking for!

I've got one, they are about half the price of a holster... I'm a fan of the one I've got too, so far I've liked all of his stuff (3 holsters and a mag pouch).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've got one, they are about half the price of a holster... I'm a fan of the one I've got too, so far I've liked all of his stuff (3 holsters and a mag pouch).
    Have about 10 Holsters and six or seven mag pouches! Great kit, and an even greater guy!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

and the follow up

My go-to guy is concentrating on doing IWB stuff as well as making molds/frames and whatnot for other holster makers. He is doing just fine business-wise. He has just made a business decision to focus on a few things vs. several things. The Shield holster I have of his was $60. But the site I bought it from is now out of stock for the firearm I'm shopping for.

I won't shop Alien Gear. I believe they're cheaply made no matter what price they're selling for.

I've been on sites where basic thermoplastic holsters are being sold from anywhere between $60 and $130. For not much difference between them.

And while I'm ranting - there's no way that a place (not Alien Gear) should charge almost $13 to ship a holster. Minimum it costs $5.00 to ship. Packaging materials & the time it takes to ship it costs money. But not $7 per item.

I'm not a cheap-skate. I buy and own quality gear. But I won't pay $90+ for a brand when there are others just as good for $30 less. I will put my Henry holster up against my Raven holsters any day of the week.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When I'm looking for just something cheap that'll hold a gun in place, I go to this guy on ebay. 1441_gear on eBay I've bought several items from him and they work just fine. If you want to use it as a EDC holster, I'd recommend changes out the plastic clips with something better since they can get brittle and break. Alien gear and stuff in this price range will work just fine if it's for plinking, hunting a few days out of the year or whatever other light duty job you've got in mind for it. When I've got a cheap gun I just want a holster for like a Taurus PT92 that I'll never be betting my life on then I'll buy a cheap holster. To echo what everyone has already said, a good holster you're going to use every day is worth it's weight in gold. I bought a g-code incog and it was far from cheap, but every time I use it I appreciate the comfort it has, the secure fit on the gun, and the way it rides. I'm a perfect example of someone who's bought more than once and cried more than once. For some reason I've kept beating my head against that wall.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are Bravo Company holsters considered "cheaping out" on gear?

What about Comp-Tac holsters? Are THEY considered cheaping out?

Because I can get into the above in the $60-70 range.

Screw you guys who think I'm looking to purchase inferior gear.

I AM looking to save a few bucks. I'd rather have a $65 BCA holster than a $95 Raven. And in today's market, I think it'd be foolish to spend $80+ on essentially the same holster.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I only buy quality Holsters. WTH would anyone buy a $500+ gun but use a cheap low quality holster is beyond me.
    And I agree, $100 for a holster IS salty.

For Holsters, I'm a fan of Dale Fricke, Raven Concealment, Henry, and Comp-TAC. I have even been tempted to try out Crossbreed.

I think Comp-TAC is the best bang for your buck. Their products are of high quality, IMHO.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Wabash Valley Armory in Terre Haute makes custom Kydex holster, while you wait usually unless they are super busy.

More of a leather person but I figured since they are good folks at WVA, I'd give them a plug.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Triple A Kydex in Anderson has been building stuff for me. I really need to prod him into getting a web page up and not just advertise on Facebook.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you buy a DalTech Super Bio Belt you're a cheap ass because you're not spending $100 on a Beltman.

Why buy something at less than half the cost when you can pay double!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I just ordered a holster from Vedder Holsters. $65 shipped to my door, give or take. They have an extensive list of firearms, and most seem to be in-stock and ready to ship. Can't comment on quality yet, as this is my first one, but when I posted a thread it got positive reviews. They sell them on their webpage, as well as Amazon.

Top Bottom