• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Question, Indiana code addresses firearms on school property, but what about live ammo with no firearm?

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Just a curious question.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had heard that ammo on school property would probably be considered an 'explosive device' and thus be illegal. I have absolutely no proof of this however, as it was 2nd hand hearsay when I heard it and I've never bothered to check it out for myself--lazy, I guess.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    My question is exactly that...is it illegal? It could still be dangerous without the firearm, but what are the potential legal ramifications of having live ammunition on school property? Is it addressed anywhere in the law? I'm not seeing reference to it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My question is exactly that...is it illegal?

Do you remember Cerebus who guarded the way to Hades, the three headed dog in Greek mythology?

Same consequences in the law: criminal, civil, and administrative.

Criminal: no statute against ammunition on school property in the Indiana Code

Civil: if someone got hurt with your ammo they could sue you.

Administrative: the school likely has admin rules against ammunition on school property and would ask you to leave if you came in with a belt or three of .308 across your chest. If you were a student they could suspend or expel you.

Now, I get to ask, why are you asking this?:dunno:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    My question is exactly that...is it illegal? It could still be dangerous without the firearm, but what are the potential legal ramifications of having live ammunition on school property? Is it addressed anywhere in the law? I'm not seeing reference to it.

Not really. Unless you threw it at someone.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I could imagine someone making a "zip gun" for it in shop class however.

They would then be in possession of a firearm on school property and committing a felony. If they really wanted a gun in school, it would be easier to just carry one in rather than making one in shop.

I admit, I have been curious about this as well. But I researched and found nothing, so I figured it was legal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom