• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    How is a good way if there is one to get a live primer out of a cartrige case ?It's a 30/30 and don't have that caliber of gun to fire it off and have no reloading equipment at all. Thanks for looking and sorry for another dumb question GD

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you do not have a 30/30 and you do not reload, why do you need it removed?
    Are you tring to salvage the primer or the case? Maybe just wanting to make it safe?
    I was always told that soaking them with WD-40 would neutralize the primer. I tried that with some old paper shotshells that had gotten wet and wouldn't chamber. Overnight soak with oil, and chambered just the metal head, having cut the swelled paper off with snips. Guess what? They all went bang, so it takes longer than over night. The sealer on hunting shotshells really does work. I believe penetrating oil will nuetralize your rifle primer.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The sealer on hunting shotshells really does work. I believe penetrating oil will nuetralize your rifle primer.

You believe wrong. It may make the primer less sensitive but it will not neutralize it.

OP: This is assuming a bare case with a live primer, NOT loaded ammunition. Get some safety glasses, ear plugs, and a pair of pliers. Point the open end of the case away from you holding it with the pliers. Heat the primer with a torch. It will go bang and problem solved. It really isn't a big deal.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Is this a complete loaded round or do you just have a piece of primed brass? If you have a live round you will have to break it down and empty the powder, then you will have to find something to fit into the case and through the flash hole. You do not want to strike the primer, so if you have a vise or similar that you can give it a gradual push it will come out without going off.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    It was a complete bullet but I used my bullet puller hammer to get the bullet out and the powder removed so now I have just the case with the primer. I'm just wanting to make it safe. But I have some .38's that someone reloaded incorrectly(the bullet is seated too far in the case) but I'm assuming I can just load them in the gun which i do have. and fire off the primer and be done with them. It's basically a safety issue Thanks GD

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you remove the bullet and the powder from the questionable .38's, yes, load them in the cylinder and pop them off like caps. Better than that, next time you go to the range to shoot, just give them to someone there who can actually use some primed brass. You will almost always find someone who reloads at a place to shoot. Good luck

Last edited:

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Shooting .38's that have no powder or bullet can allow the primer to back out and tie up the cylinder. Use caution when doing this. I would do as Leo says and give the primed brass to someone who can use them, instead of wasting a primer.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Just a primer, no bullet/powder?
    Then take it outside. Put on some ear pro if you wish. Hammer+nail to set off primer. Hammer+punch to push out primer.

If a bunch of cases, just give them to someone who reloads.

What is the "safety issue?" Primed cases aren't dangerous (assuming not directly against someone). if they go off all you get is noise . Are you pitching the brass? planning to reload it? Giving it away? Chew toy for the dog?

I've set off primers in empty cases before, mainly when they got sideways or otherwise junked up in the reloading process and didn't want to scrap the brass, and was afraid trying to back them out w/ a decap die would set them off in my gun room. Normally they can just be backed out w/ a decapper.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    But I have some .38's that someone reloaded incorrectly(the bullet is seated too far in the case) but I'm assuming I can just load them in the gun which i do have. and fire off the primer and be done with them. It's basically a safety issue Thanks GD

The way I understand this, you intend firing the complete, live cartridge. If the bullet is seated too deep, there will be an increase in C.U.P.(gas pressure). A potential for damage to yourself or to your firearm.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    No not a chew toy for the dog but thanks for the idea. Yes I do have several .38's that are seated too deep. So rather than to fire them off possibly be best to pull the bullet out of the case then. As I say I have a rcbs bullet puller hammer thing that I can pull them with so then il have several (15-20) live primers to get out. I thank you all for the comments for this is all new to me when it comes to unloading live rounds. In the future I want to start doing some reloading and working on accumulating the equipment to do that but now that's kinda hard to do at this point for more reasons than one. Thanks again GD

Top Bottom