• ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Local news reporter goes off script, calls out POTUS

Local news reporter goes off script during a live radio broadcast.

WCSI is a local radio station in Columbus. The news reporter is Chris Lowe. Calls BS on a statement made by Obama. Thought you guys would enjoy it. It's hard to tell he went off script, but I don't think the radio station would have said something like this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eF-X97lMK8[/ame]

Last edited:

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I'm not singling out any particular network, but "fair and balanced" doesn't mean what it used to.

Hell, it's been that way for years. Even TV is that way, hell TV is worse. If I remember correctly there's an FCC regulation or Federal Law requiring that if one side is broadcasted, then there must be ample time for the opposite to be broadcasted as well. I don't think it's been enforced in years though.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm not singling out any particular network, but "fair and balanced" doesn't mean what it used to.

As to FOX News, it's more fair and balanced than all three networks, the other two main cable news channels, the AP, Reuters, the major news magazines and the major newspapers. If they're not fair and balanced, who is? A real-life example of a major news source that is more fair than FOX would be of interest to me.

Hell, it's been that way for years. Even TV is that way, hell TV is worse. If I remember correctly there's an FCC regulation or Federal Law requiring that if one side is broadcasted, then there must be ample time for the opposite to be broadcasted as well. I don't think it's been enforced in years though.

You're speaking about the Fairness Doctrine, which was an FCC regulation, I believe, that hasn't been in force for a long time. Even when it was technically in force, it only served to stifle the conservative point of view.

Something like that isn't enforcable and is certainly no business of the government anyway. There are more than two "sides" to every issue. It would be impossible to represent even the major differences on any one side of an issue.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    As to FOX News, it's more fair and balanced than all three networks, the other two main cable news channels, the AP, Reuters, the major news magazines and the major newspapers. If they're not fair and balanced, who is? A real-life example of a major news source that is more fair than FOX would be of interest to me.
    Well, those news sources lean left. Fox leans right so those to lean right will find their news more "balanced". Same with the left. However, neither Fox, CNN, MSNBC is totally one way or another...just mostly. However, the BBC and AL Jazeera are actually pretty balanced. If they have criticisms of our government, they will not be hampered by our politics.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

None are fair, none are balanced. That's the whole point. The TVs need to be turned off if the person is going to un-indoctrinate themselves. The Establishment-controlled media hosts fallacious debates, distracts people from the real issues, while propping up the false Left-Right paradigm.

Watch MSNBC for cracks on Republicans, and to be brainwashed with anti-capitalist, Welfare State propaganda.

Watch FOX News for cracks on Democrats, and to be brainwashed with Drug Warrior, race baiting, War on Terror propaganda.

Here's a perfect example of "Fair and Balanced" treatment of Ron Paul on national telvision. :xmad: :noway:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JId_kGKowfI[/ame]

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Although I used the Fox "slogan" I really wasn't singling out any particular network. They all seem to lean and/or bend with the wind.

Well, those news sources lean left. Fox leans right so those to lean right will find their news more "balanced". Same with the left. However, neither Fox, CNN, MSNBC is totally one way or another...just mostly. However, the BBC and AL Jazeera are actually pretty balanced. If they have criticisms of our government, they will not be hampered by our politics.
    I too find BBC and occasionally Al Jazeera, as fairly objective. I'm not sure they always appreciate our politics, but that should be reserved for the viewer.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I for one am sick and tired of the so called "fair and balanced". Facts are facts are facts are facts. I have been a democrat all my life but have also never really paid much attention to those pesky facts until recently. Liberals can say all day long that the conservatives are satan or whatever they want. Fact is no matter who is in charge things gotta change and now. This spending is very obviously not sustainable. I am not college educated. Just barely made it through high school. But when I see that we are a nation over 14 trillion in actual debt and about to turn it into over 17 trillion that scares the hell out of me. That is not to mention the many trillions in unfunded liabilities. Liberals I only ask one thing. If you want to argue use facts. Do the research yourself and use actual facts.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I for one am sick and tired of the so called "fair and balanced". Facts are facts are facts are facts. I have been a democrat all my life but have also never really paid much attention to those pesky facts until recently. Liberals can say all day long that the conservatives are satan or whatever they want. Fact is no matter who is in charge things gotta change and now. This spending is very obviously not sustainable. I am not college educated. Just barely made it through high school. But when I see that we are a nation over 14 trillion in actual debt and about to turn it into over 17 trillion that scares the hell out of me. That is not to mention the many trillions in unfunded liabilities. Liberals I only ask one thing. If you want to argue use facts. Do the research yourself and use actual facts.
    Darral - Many share your frustration. It isn't confined to only liberals. Seems each extreme embellishes the facts to accentuate their perspectives. I'm with you. Just spread the truth and let the facts speak for themselves.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The best format to learn about issues is one of conflict. If you have different sides of an issue all presenting their own best arguments and having them challenged and refuted, you can begin to separate the peanuts from the husks.

The problem with biased news stories is the hidden landmines that lead your bias. If you don't know about a particular event or issue and you read about it and the piece is slanted it might be difficult for even a sophisticated consumer to detect. You might not realize a particular "fact" is controversial if you're not educated in the subject matter.

Unfortunately, lack of knowledge surrounding the issues of the day describes most people. If you get your news from the mainstream media and don't realize their bias, you're in danger of being misled. If you watch Hannity, at least there will be one or more voices on the show making the argument for another POV. For that reason, it's more balanced.

I really loved the show, The West Wing. Very biased, but the writing was so good I enjoyed it anyway. One of the things I kept noticing was that occasionally they accurately portrayed the conservative argument, often through the Ainsley Hayes character. Even though the conservative view was portrayed as wrong, often the argument for that view was so persuasive that I felt that it achieved some balance.

For that reason, I truly believe FOX is more balanced than any other channel.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    The best format to learn about issues is one of conflict. If you have different sides of an issue all presenting their own best arguments and having them challenged and refuted, you can begin to separate the peanuts from the husks.

The problem with biased news stories is the hidden landmines that lead your bias. If you don't know about a particular event or issue and you read about it and the piece is slanted it might be difficult for even a sophisticated consumer to detect. You might not realize a particular "fact" is controversial if you're not educated in the subject matter.

Unfortunately, lack of knowledge surrounding the issues of the day describes most people. If you get your news from the mainstream media and don't realize their bias, you're in danger of being misled. If you watch Hannity, at least there will be one or more voices on the show making the argument for another POV. For that reason, it's more balanced.

I really loved the show, The West Wing. Very biased, but the writing was so good I enjoyed it anyway. One of the things I kept noticing was that occasionally they accurately portrayed the conservative argument, often through the Ainsley Hayes character. Even though the conservative view was portrayed as wrong, often the argument for that view was so persuasive that I felt that it achieved some balance.

For that reason, I truly believe FOX is more balanced than any other channel.
    The West Wing leaned left, but I too enjoyed the series.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My grandfather does nothing but sit on the patio and watch FOX News. Just about every waking moment is spent watching that channel or golf/football. I don't talk politics with him because he just repeats what he has heard on FOX. He refuses to watch anything else. If you want to hear non-biased criticisms of our politics/policies, one must get their news from somewhere OHER than the mainstream USA outlets.

Top Bottom