• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Those of you who have a large gun cabinet in your home, where do you keep it? I'm referring to the tall cabinets that you can bolt to a wall. Do you feel it's best to have it as out of sight as possible, or do you prefer to have it out in a central location?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I prefer to hide mine. A burglar in a hurry wont even encounter mine. But then again, Im not a "super gun owner".

Using similar logic, if you dont have many, and arent worried about the kids being able to get into it (they lock with magnet activated catches, not keys or combos) look at Tactical Walls. There are also in-wall cabinets similar in size that do have locks that could put behind doors, hang a mirror in front of, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hid mine in a lake. :(

In the event of an emergency, e.g. an intruder breaking in, do you need to get into it? If so, won't the lock and such be the primary time-taker? I would hope you have a SD weapon more accessible (preferably on you). Therefore, my vote is for hidden.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good point. My long gun storage is much centralized and secured than my handgun storage. I'll leave it at that.

Quick access to your primary defensive weapon is a different discussion I think than what the OP started, but it is important to consider in the big picture.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Some are hidden, some are hidden in plain sight, some are hanging on the wall...all are at the bottom of a lake to be named.

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Those of you who have them in a closet, did you actually bolt them to the wall inside the closet? Does putting it in a closet make it difficult to hang clothes/jackets in the closet, or difficult to get to the cabinet without removing clothes/jackets? Maybe I'm over thinking this...

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I hid mine in a lake. :(

In the event of an emergency, e.g. an intruder breaking in, do you need to get into it? If so, won't the lock and such be the primary time-taker? I would hope you have a SD weapon more accessible (preferably on you). Therefore, my vote is for hidden.

Same here. Hopefully some of the SS items may be salvageable.

Boating accident.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    Mine is out of sight of outside doors and windows, but in plain sight in the front room. Don't have anywhere to really hide it. Don't need quick access because I don't keep all my guns in there. Just the ones I don't use everyday.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My safe is in the front room and I sure would like to sell it. Anytime anyone comes over their first question is why do I have that and what's in it.

It's mostly empty at the moment. Be nice to downsize and find a hiding spot.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    We built a recessed book shelf gun display rack in the living room wall. it will hold about a dozen or so long guns. Other c&r long guns hang on the wall in the living room. Some are else where around the house. I have a small built in hand gun safe for some but others are on the night stand and bedroom dresser. There are no residents under the age of 25 so they all remain loaded at all times.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +Jeepster!! Mine is also bolted down through the floor. Similar location, and has clothes on hangers and couple duffles in front. Besides my hightstand drawer holding my CCW, I keep a 12ga S/G within reach behind a dresser. GTG.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have some of mine bolted to the walls in the armory behind hanging tapestries I picked up in Germany lo these many years ago.

Top Bottom