• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    After the student protests due to massive tuition hikes in London last week, the London Police Chief is talking about banning student marches. With these events unfolding, there is much talk of actual martial law approaching the U.K.

After tripling tuitions, UK may ban student marches

Dispersing the crowd last week, the police got pretty brutal. Here is a video captured of a crippled protester being tipped out of his wheelchair and dragged through the street by London police. [Warning: Language]

YouTube - Jody McIntyre being pulled from his wheelchair #demo2010

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    Granted there was no reason to drag that dude out of his wheelchair, we don't know exactly what was happening before that happened.

What if that dude had a gun and was brandishing it at the cops? Although I didn't hear mention of it above all the swearing, it's a possibility. In that case, heck ya you drag that guy from his wheelchair!

Reserving judgement on the video until more comes to light.

That said, since our POTUS likes to mirror Britain and Europe so much, I wonder if he's going to ban student protests here.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Granted there was no reason to drag that dude out of his wheelchair, we don't know exactly what was happening before that happened.

What if that dude had a gun and was brandishing it at the cops? Although I didn't hear mention of it above all the swearing, it's a possibility. In that case, heck ya you drag that guy from his wheelchair!

That said, since our POTUS likes to mirror Britain and Europe so much, I wonder if he's going to ban student protests here.

Brandishing a gun? In London? I seriously doubt it! According to the article, the individual in the chair has cerebral palsy.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    i don't know, just trying to give the cops some benefit of the doubt.

We don't like it when people here take a small video clip out of context without having all the information, I don't want to do it here.

The article also states that Britain is OK with peaceful demonstrations. It doesn't sound like these demonstrations were being very peaceful. Tensions ride high and sometimes neither the police or the protesters make good decisions.

I don't condone the actions of the cops, let me make that clear. I'm just trying to say that under normal circumstances, I can't see cops tipping a CP patient out of a wheelchair for no good reason. But, refer to my comment above regarding decision-making.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wow. Seems Britain is moving backward in its liberalism, not forward. Or perhaps it's just coming around full circle.

Liberal vs. Conservative is a very misleading paradigm. Its a lot clearer to think in terms of Statism & Liberty. You either support individual rights, or you support state powers to trump them. If you think in these terms, it is clear that Britain has not changed direction, it has been marching toward Statism for a long time.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    you also have to keep in mind that the students in Britain were not protesting......they were rioting. i'm pretty sure that's already illegal here.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    you also have to keep in mind that the students in Britain were not protesting......they were rioting. i'm pretty sure that's already illegal here.

They are using the opportunity to ban something that is vital in a free society. If there were people being violent then they already have all the laws that they need to arrest them. The peaceful people should not be punished for the actions a few idiots.

The people of the U.K. are getting fed up with their government's shenanigans.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    They are using the opportunity to ban something that is vital in a free society. If there were people being violent then they already have all the laws that they need to arrest them. The peaceful people should not be punished for the actions a few idiots.

Don't waste a good opportunity to grow the state.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

i agree with that.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Guns are quite illegal in the UK. Since becomming illegal, crime there has skyrocketed.

On a more amusing note criminals began using katanas or Samurai swords to commit crimes. Now those are illegal. Wonder what they would do if there were a sudden rash of people using spoons to commit crimes?

Top Bottom