• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Fellow hikers/backpackers,
    My wife and I have a trip planned to Gatlinburg/GSMNP that will be here soon. This trip is actually a park focused trip, unlike other trips I've taken to parks in the past. One of the objectives of this hike is to hike up Mt. LeConte and stop by the lodge/cabins up there. We will likely be taking the "easier" Trillium Gap Trail to reach the top. This is a fourteen mile round trip hike. This is hopefully one of many such hiking focused trips, with future trips to Glacier, Yellowstone, and some places in Utah planned for the future. Given the distance traveled and length of time I/we will be in the back-country, I decided that even though these are technically "day trips," that it would be best to have some survival items in case anything happens. This meant somewhat of a larger pack than those I typically see being sold as "day packs."

So this past year I've been buying stuff I need for this trip. I actually already had a lot of the stuff, but got some medical stuff, some water canteens, etc.. I also got a pack, an external frame, the High Sierra "Badger" 40. The 40 stands for capacity of 40L/2440 cubic inches. Now, one reason I got this is because the bag itself is perfect for what I need to carry, plus the external frame would allow for a rolled sleeping bag and tent to be attached at top/bottom areas if need be for any future overnight backpacking trips (any such trip would be only for one night, unless we are fairly close to our vehicle for resupply).

Well, about a month ago the wife and I hiked about a mile and a half in Brown County SP. It was hot and it was decent up and down elevation. I was bent over a lot even though I had a hiking pole. I remembered after the hike about using the poles to keep yourself standing straight up, and figured I should so that as I felt a lot of weight on my back. So last week I did a three mile hike down in Morgan-Monroe. My hip belt was actually around my gut, and I had the thing on tight. This time though I stood straight up and the top of the pack actually leaned back a bit. About the first 1/3rd of the way in, my shoulders were killing me. However, that pain ended up going away. Part of this I think I was tense as I don't have straight shoulders and mentally I see the shoulder straps falling off even with a chest strap. Well I ended up pulling a neck muscle that I felt about two days later. Nothing too serious, but it really made me wonder what was up.

I did some research on-line and found some mistakes:
    #1: I didn't think the length of the pack mattered. It does, as I need it longer so the hip belt actually rests on my hips. This has been fixed.
    #2: I watched an REI video and they said to put the pack on as follows: Hip belt/tighten, shoulder straps/tighten, chest strap/tighten, loosen shoulder strap a bit.

Additionally, the REI videos showed the people with the larger overnight packs actually leaning over slightly. They weren't using poles, so now I wonder what the proper form of walking is with a pack.

I'm hoping these two things alone will correct the issue, but I don't know. My wife has a typical day pack, and it says "25" on it which I believe means it holds 25L of stuff. Her pack is much lighter than mine, mostly due to the external frame. I'm now wondering if a non-external frame pack is the way to go and if so, can I find one big enough, but not one of those huge tube looking packs that are more for multi-day backpacking trips. I've also thought about getting a personal locator beacon as well, as some of the areas I'll be in will be very rural. Having such an item would mean I could forgo some emergencies supplies as if I was in a bind due to an injury I could just use it to get help, though if it was an issue that I could hike out the next day, I would hate having to go to such drastic measures.

I'm looking for suggestions on types of packs, posture while hiking with a pack (going up elevation, down elevation, and flat surface), and any other helpful ideas that you folks can give. I've actually found some non-frame packs that are similar in size to what I have. Many don't have the different pockets that mine has, which is somewhat of a negative.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Posture really depends on the type of pack. Some (like internal frame) tend to make me lean a little further forward than external frame packs. Packs are HIGHLY personal because our bodies are all different.

I prefer e-frame packs for when my pack weight is going to be more than about 45lbs consistently (this pretty much only happens when camps are dry and I have to pack more water, or when I am hiking equipment somewhere). Other than that, for spring-summer-fall hiking then 2800-3200cu in is more than plenty for most of the stuff I do. In winter I want a bigger pack because of more clothes, heavier shelter, more fuel for the stove, etc. For a day trip I use a pack of about 1800cu in and it has enough stuff I can spend a night comfortably if I have to. Minus water weight it may weigh 15-20lbs. For overnight (except winter, it is FAR more important to prepare in winter) it weighs 20-25lbs minus water. And I am not an ultralight fanatic, I could pare 5lbs more off my gear weight if I really wanted.

More important than posture is your stride. For trail miles having a regular stride makes the difference in how much energy you expend. You want a natural rhythm that is easy to maintain. If you are hiking with someone with a different natural stride then it's better to stop every 10-15 minutes to let the slowest person catch up than to make sure you are always right together.

Oh, and you didn't ask about it, but one of the biggest mistakes newbie hikers make is to not take breaks often enough, or taking too long when they do. Every hour, take 5-10 minutes, take the pack off and take your boots off and elevate your feet if you can. Don't take too long of a break because you don't want your muscles to cool and stiffen, then it takes a few minutes to get loosened up again.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Shibumiseeker gave you some good advice.

Pack your lighter stuff in the bottom and the heavier stuff near the top. You want your pack snug against your shoulders, not with a gap between your back and your pack. Getting a pack that fits is key. Go to REI, get yourself measured and try on packs. Even if you don't buy one there, you'll know what to look for somewhere else.

With a heavier pack, I use trekking poles to make it easier on my knees. If I'm all bent over, I don't have my pack adjust correctly.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Oh, and you didn't ask about it, but one of the biggest mistakes newbie hikers make is to not take breaks often enough, or taking too long when they do. Every hour, take 5-10 minutes, take the pack off and take your boots off and elevate your feet if you can. Don't take too long of a break because you don't want your muscles to cool and stiffen, then it takes a few minutes to get loosened up again.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't take but a five minute break, if that. It took me a little over 90mins. to hike a little over three miles, so roughly 30 mins./mile or 2MPH. From seeing some pics, I really thought I would come to a stone bench where people were known to stop for lunch, but I couldn't find it if it was there.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    After many miles in the Blue Ridge, trekking poles (or maybe 2 walking sticks) really helped us flatlanders in the mountains. Straps should be adjusted to allow for easy transfer of weight between shoulders and hip belt. If you have a sternum strap, use it. If you don't, improvise one. I have used both internal and external frame packs, and prefer external, though some family members prefer internal. If you are going for any length of time or with any significant weight, a day pack won't cut it, though you might want to bring one for side trips.
    My pack looks just like this one, and is starting to show it's age, though the price was right back in the day:
    70520330.G4LeFPEJ.jpg

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Not sure about packing heavier items near the top as suggested above. I always pack heavier items near the bottom. Lower center of gravity is better. Pack should ride on hips. Snug on shoulders. Balanced. If your shoulders are hurting, you're doing it wrong.

Agree with getting fitted at REI. They seem to do a good job.

For or a day hike like you are outlining, I'd carry typical first aide, rain gear, plenty of water, some extra food, a change of socks, and a tarp. A water filter would also be good along with a proper map and compass.

Good of luck and have fun

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hooky is correct, heavier stuff near the top, lighter stuff near the bottom. It actually gives you better balance because it moves the moment arm of mass out where you can better deal with it. When it is near the bottom you have a more difficult time offsetting the mass as said, you have to lean forward further.

Top Bottom